General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Anyone Tried the Elliptical Machines

Started by Stan · · Last activity · 9 posts · 382 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
14 July 2005
Last activity
15 July 2005
Original author
Stan
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
382
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Any of ya'll tried the Elliptical machines. All the walking i have done
    is taking a toll on my left knee. And i was wondering what i would do
    this winter when the cold and rain get here...thanks...Stan down south

  2. Stan said:

    Any of ya'll tried the Elliptical machines. All the walking i have done
    is taking a toll on my left knee. And i was wondering what i would do
    this winter when the cold and rain get here...thanks...Stan down south

    I've tried elliptical trainers. I hate 'em.

  3. Are you almost through looking for excuses yet?

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "Stan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Any of ya'll tried the Elliptical machines. All the walking i have done
    is taking a toll on my left knee. And i was wondering what i would do this
    winter when the cold and rain get here...thanks...Stan down south

  4. there is always 1 or 2 more excuses to be found 😉

    Tori

    --
    Xavier- 10/27/05 "Oooohh whats that on the floor? a dime? Yummy!"
    Bonnie- 03/20/02 "Mommy look a cloud worm is eating the care bears"
    349.5/315.5/135
    "JC Der Koenig" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Are you almost through looking for excuses yet?

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "Stan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Any of ya'll tried the Elliptical machines. All the walking i have done
    is taking a toll on my left knee. And i was wondering what i would do


    this

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    winter when the cold and rain get here...thanks...Stan down south

  5. Stan said:

    Any of ya'll tried the Elliptical machines. All the walking i have done
    is taking a toll on my left knee. And i was wondering what i would do
    this winter when the cold and rain get here...thanks...Stan down south

    Ellipticals are great. Very low stress on the joints - or anything else
    that doesn't need too much bouncing around. I like them better than the
    treadmill mostly because it's easier for me to change the tempo according
    to what comes up on my mp3 player.

    I wasn't sure whether it was a legitimate cardio workout compared to say
    actually running - but I checked and I can in fact run on the treadmill at
    around the same rate that I average on the elliptical, so I think it's
    providing a comparable workout. The only thing that I know is wrong is the
    measure of calories burned - I'm quite sure that overestimates by a fair
    bit.

    The only downside I see for you is that I do have a bit of a kneejerk
    sexist reaction when I see men using the elliptical - it just seems a bit
    girly to me. Unreasonable and unjustifiable, I know, but there it is.

    Martha

    --
    Sig pending

  6. That still sounds better than the couple of lamoes talking about
    excuses...guess they have problems

    Martha Gallagher said:
    Stan said:

    Any of ya'll tried the Elliptical machines. All the walking i have done
    is taking a toll on my left knee. And i was wondering what i would do
    this winter when the cold and rain get here...thanks...Stan down south

    Ellipticals are great. Very low stress on the joints - or anything else
    that doesn't need too much bouncing around. I like them better than the
    treadmill mostly because it's easier for me to change the tempo according
    to what comes up on my mp3 player.

    I wasn't sure whether it was a legitimate cardio workout compared to say
    actually running - but I checked and I can in fact run on the treadmill at
    around the same rate that I average on the elliptical, so I think it's
    providing a comparable workout. The only thing that I know is wrong is the
    measure of calories burned - I'm quite sure that overestimates by a fair
    bit.

    The only downside I see for you is that I do have a bit of a kneejerk
    sexist reaction when I see men using the elliptical - it just seems a bit
    girly to me. Unreasonable and unjustifiable, I know, but there it is.

    Martha

  7. "Stan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Any of ya'll tried the Elliptical machines. All the walking i have done
    is taking a toll on my left knee. And i was wondering what i would do
    this winter when the cold and rain get here...thanks...Stan down south

    You could try varying your workouts with swimming, bike riding, and
    weight training. I don't know how heavy you are, but your knee pain is
    probably due to stressing the same joints in the same way day after day. You
    could alternate upper body exercises with walking every second day. If it's
    burning calories that you want, building some muscle helps a great deal.
    Possibly a Podiatrist may help if your landing on your feet the wrong way
    when you are walking.

  8. Great advice🙂

    "Tom G" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:mBDBe.1957564$6l.1585112@pd7tw2no...

    Quoted message said:


    "Stan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Any of ya'll tried the Elliptical machines. All the walking i have done
    is taking a toll on my left knee. And i was wondering what i would do
    this winter when the cold and rain get here...thanks...Stan down south

    You could try varying your workouts with swimming, bike riding, and
    weight training. I don't know how heavy you are, but your knee pain is
    probably due to stressing the same joints in the same way day after day.
    You
    could alternate upper body exercises with walking every second day. If
    it's
    burning calories that you want, building some muscle helps a great deal.
    Possibly a Podiatrist may help if your landing on your feet the wrong
    way
    when you are walking.

  9. The Precor ones are nice! Low impact and a variety of preset programs.
    Nothing girly about them.

    Dan

    Stan said:

    Any of ya'll tried the Elliptical machines. All the walking i have done
    is taking a toll on my left knee. And i was wondering what i would do
    this winter when the cold and rain get here...thanks...Stan down south

    --
    ----
    Pride and Joy Gifts
    http://www.prideandjoygifts.com

    Candles have zero Carbs!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.