Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Anyone ride with a Musette?

Started by Tom Nakashima · · Last activity · 41 posts · 1,549 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
18 December 2007
Last activity
22 December 2007
Original author
Tom Nakashima
Posts
41
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,549
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 41
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've been riding with a canvas musette for the last few years.
    I found it to be a convenient way to store extra clothes
    when layering. When not in use, I fold it and carry it one of the
    jersey pockets.
    -tom

  2. Tom Nakashima said:


    I've been riding with a canvas musette for the last few years.
    I found it to be a convenient way to store extra clothes
    when layering. When not in use, I fold it and carry it one of the
    jersey pockets.

    I often use a "musette" made by Chrome:

    http://chromebags.com/products/bags/show/14/

    It accomodates my 4XL Carhartt zipper hoodie-- I guess that would be a
    "layer"-- with room to spare for a twelve-pack. When it's empty I
    sometimes use the shoulder strap to bind it to the front of my BMX
    bars.

    Chalo

  3. "Chalo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Tom Nakashima said:


    I've been riding with a canvas musette for the last few years.
    I found it to be a convenient way to store extra clothes
    when layering. When not in use, I fold it and carry it one of the
    jersey pockets.

    I often use a "musette" made by Chrome:

    http://chromebags.com/products/bags/show/14/

    It accomodates my 4XL Carhartt zipper hoodie-- I guess that would be a
    "layer"-- with room to spare for a twelve-pack. When it's empty I
    sometimes use the shoulder strap to bind it to the front of my BMX
    bars.

    Chalo

    Mine are not as elaborate, actually they're freebees from Bike to
    Work Days. I've been collecting them from years past and putting
    them to use.
    http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/57647866.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1939847EC77F5F8D1CE761733265F557DCCA40A659CEC4C8CB6
    -tom

  4. Tom Nakashima said:

    I've been riding with a canvas musette for the last few years.
    I found it to be a convenient way to store extra clothes
    when layering. When not in use, I fold it and carry it one of the
    jersey pockets.
    -tom

    Um, isn't that what musettes were <i>invented</i> for? Me, I just
    stuff the odd wind shell or tights or whatever directly into jersey
    pockets

    --max

  5. the musette is a forerunner of the "messenger bag"?

    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/16/business/16bags.html


  6. Quoted message said:

    the musette is a forerunner of the "messenger bag"?

    shouldn't that be "forerider"?

  7. Tom Nakashima said:

    I've been riding with a canvas musette for the last few years.
    I found it to be a convenient way to store extra clothes
    when layering. When not in use, I fold it and carry it one of the
    jersey pockets.
    -tom

    I like to stuff extra clothing into the front of my shorts, but I'm
    insecure.

    /s

  8. Tom Nakashima said:

    I've been riding with a canvas musette for the last few years.
    I found it to be a convenient way to store extra clothes
    when layering. When not in use, I fold it and carry it one of the
    jersey pockets.
    -tom

    I greatly prefer to hang a bag from the bicycle, not from myself.

    - Frank Krygowski

  9. Tom Nakashima said:

    I've been riding with a canvas musette for the last few years.
    I found it to be a convenient way to store extra clothes
    when layering. When not in use, I fold it and carry it one of the
    jersey pockets.
    -tom

    I have a canvas shopping bag bungeed on the front of my city
    bike,"just in case" when I don't have panniers on it. Fixed gear
    luggage is one classic size huge Timbuk2 messenger bag. It holds more
    than my panniers.

  10. Quoted message said:
    Tom Nakashima said:

    I've been riding with a canvas musette for the last few years.
    I found it to be a convenient way to store extra clothes
    when layering. When not in use, I fold it and carry it one of the
    jersey pockets.
    -tom

    Um, isn't that what musettes were <i>invented</i> for? Me, I just
    stuff the odd wind shell or tights or whatever directly into jersey
    pockets

    They were food bags handed to riders in a feed zone. Used and
    discarded. Simple little cotton bags and not the expensive ballistic
    nylon messenger bags so popular with the fixie poseurs in PDX (no
    offense to Chalo who undoubtedly likes his). -- Jay Beattie.

  11. On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 09:23:32 -0800, "Tom Nakashima"

    may have said:

    I've been riding with a canvas musette for the last few years.
    I found it to be a convenient way to store extra clothes
    when layering. When not in use, I fold it and carry it one of the
    jersey pockets.

    Must have an amazing zipper to be able to still hold air when playing.

    Where do you put the drones and chanters when you stash stuff inside?

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  12. "Jay Beattie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Tom Nakashima said:

    I've been riding with a canvas musette for the last few years.
    I found it to be a convenient way to store extra clothes
    when layering. When not in use, I fold it and carry it one of the
    jersey pockets.
    -tom

    Um, isn't that what musettes were <i>invented</i> for? Me, I just
    stuff the odd wind shell or tights or whatever directly into jersey
    pockets

    They were food bags handed to riders in a feed zone. Used and
    discarded. Simple little cotton bags and not the expensive ballistic
    nylon messenger bags so popular with the fixie poseurs in PDX (no
    offense to Chalo who undoubtedly likes his). -- Jay Beattie.

    Fakinger bags! ;-)

    Chas.

  13. Werehatrack said:

    On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 09:23:32 -0800, "Tom Nakashima"

    may have said:

    I've been riding with a canvas musette for the last few years.
    I found it to be a convenient way to store extra clothes
    when layering. When not in use, I fold it and carry it one of the
    jersey pockets.

    Must have an amazing zipper to be able to still hold air when playing.

    Where do you put the drones and chanters when you stash stuff inside?

    Dear Werehatrack,

    Bah! French impostor!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolas_Ch%C3%A9deville#Impersonation_of_Vivaldi

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

  14. Jay Beattie said:


    Simple little cotton bags and not the expensive ballistic
    nylon messenger bags so popular with the fixie poseurs in PDX (no
    offense to Chalo who undoubtedly likes his).

    I was trying to make a little joke comparing my heavy, clunky bag
    complete with seat belt buckle to an almost-disposable tote. It is
    only a feed bag in the sense that a week's groceries are feed.

    Chalo

  15. Frank Krygowski said:


    I greatly prefer to hang a bag from the bicycle, not from myself.

    Me too, but not all my bikes are willing to get with the program.

    Chalo

  16. Werehatrack said:

    Must have an amazing zipper to be able to still hold air when playing.
    Where do you put the drones and chanters when you stash stuff inside?

    Mr Werehatrack...are you making a reference to bagpipes? Fair stirs
    the blood doesn't it, the thought of bicycles and bagpipes?
    ABS (S for Stewart)

  17. On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 21:50:34 -0800 (PST), [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    Werehatrack said:

    Must have an amazing zipper to be able to still hold air when playing.
    Where do you put the drones and chanters when you stash stuff inside?

    Mr Werehatrack...are you making a reference to bagpipes? Fair stirs
    the blood doesn't it, the thought of bicycles and bagpipes?
    ABS (S for Stewart)

    A musette is a musical instrument:

    mu·sette (my›-zµt“) n. 1. Music. a. A small French bagpipe operated
    with a bellows and having a soft sound. b. A soft pastoral air that
    imitates bagpipe music. 2. A musette bag. [Middle English, from Old
    French, diminutive of muse, from muser, to play the musette, muse. See
    MUSE.]

    I believe the OP was referring to definition 2, while the musical
    reference is to definition 1. Also, please avoid confusing it with "A
    Muzi", which is completely different than "a musette".

  18. Tom Nakashima said:

    I've been riding with a canvas musette for the last few years.
    I found it to be a convenient way to store extra clothes
    when layering. When not in use, I fold it and carry it one of the
    jersey pockets.
    -tom


    I use a Deuter Speed lite 20
    http://www.deuterusa.com/products/productDetail.php?packID=speedlite20&sub=alpine&tert=speed
    for the same purpose. It is the most comfortable and useful pack I
    have ever worn.

    At this time of year, I wear a down vest as an insulating layer on my
    pre-dawn ride. For the afternoon ride home, I usually pack the vest.

    To my way of thinking, it makes more sense to carry the load equally
    on both shoulders.

    J.

  19. On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 21:50:34 -0800 (PST), [email hidden] may

    have said:
    Werehatrack said:

    Must have an amazing zipper to be able to still hold air when playing.
    Where do you put the drones and chanters when you stash stuff inside?

    Mr Werehatrack...are you making a reference to bagpipes? Fair stirs
    the blood doesn't it, the thought of bicycles and bagpipes?
    ABS (S for Stewart)

    The musette is a French variant, with the usual decadent inclusions of
    pointless frippery that you would expect. Somehow, though, I don't
    think that even they would try to use the bag's cavity for storage.

    As for bagpipes and transportation, I will relate that I have employed
    them to good effect in that area. In the late 1970s, I had an overly
    powerful sound system in my vehicle (a car which gave the outward
    appearance of a 1965 VW Beetle), and I used to keep a selection of
    cassette tapes at hand for use in situations which demanded them. One
    was a tape of the massed pipes and drums of the Jubilee, playing
    Scotland the Brave. When a car would pull up next to me at an
    intersection with the radio turned up to the point that the sound was
    hopelessly distorted (as was almost always the case in that day when
    someone tried to play a car radio at a high volume), I would simply
    flip on the extra amplifiers, slot in the tape (already cued to the
    correct position) and run the volume up to about three quarters.

    The effect was generally quite satisfactory. The opening skirl of the
    drums would have people diving for cover half a block away, and when
    the pipes hit...one would have expected several regiments to be close
    behind, from the sound of it.

    I miss that car, and the sound system, and the tapes.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  20. Quoted message said:
    Werehatrack said:

    Must have an amazing zipper to be able to still hold air when playing.
    Where do you put the drones and chanters when you stash stuff inside?

    Mr Werehatrack...are you making a reference to bagpipes? Fair stirs
    the blood doesn't it, the thought of bicycles and bagpipes?
    ABS (S for Stewart)

    Coincidentally, in a recent e-mail to my nephew about independent film
    appreciation, I said:

    "A _great_ film would be one featuring Nicole Kidman riding a bicycle
    and playing bagpipes. But the really great films never make it to the
    mass market."

    (And this turn of the thread surprises me. I thought only I was weird
    enough to know the real meaning of musette!)

    - Frank Krygowski

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.