General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Anyone have a really good Manhattan Clam Chowder Recipie?

Started by Ron Gould · · Last activity · 15 posts · 417 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
10 June 2006
Last activity
13 June 2006
Original author
Ron Gould
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
417
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi---
    I would like to find out your very favorite way of making Manhattan Clam
    Chowder.
    I could google, but that doesn't tell me the best way to make it taste real
    "clammy" and great firmness to the potato cubes.

    Being Diabetic, I can't have the starchy New England type anymore (Darn--I
    love it).

    So, Manhattan Style it's gotta be, but I'm hoping for a recipie that gives
    me all the great flavors.

    Thanks---
    Ron

  2. Ron-
    Here's one I found on the net not long ago. I've made it, and it is
    really nice.

    It is done in the crock-pot and is healthy, low-fat, easy. If you
    don't have a crock pot, I'm certain it would work in a regular pot as
    well.

    Manhattan Clam Chowder

    1 onion, chopped
    2 carrots, chopped
    3 stalks celery, chopped
    2 or 3 medium potatoes, chopped
    1 tbsp. parsley
    28oz can diced tomatoes
    2 small cans of clams, undrained
    2 whole peppercorns
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp. thyme

    Put all ingredients in crock-pot, stir to mix, and cook on low for
    8-10 hours, or high for 3-5 hours.

    Enjoy!!

  3. Quoted message said:

    Ron-
    Here's one I found on the net not long ago. I've made it, and it is
    really nice.

    It is done in the crock-pot and is healthy, low-fat, easy. If you
    don't have a crock pot, I'm certain it would work in a regular pot as
    well.

    Manhattan Clam Chowder

    1 onion, chopped
    2 carrots, chopped
    3 stalks celery, chopped
    2 or 3 medium potatoes, chopped
    1 tbsp. parsley
    28oz can diced tomatoes
    2 small cans of clams, undrained
    2 whole peppercorns
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp. thyme

    Put all ingredients in crock-pot, stir to mix, and cook on low for
    8-10 hours, or high for 3-5 hours.

    Enjoy!!

    Yes, thats a good one and we make something similar frequently. The
    changes are 1~2 more carrots, an additional 1/2 onion and 2 pieces of
    crumbled bacon.

  4. Ron Gould said:

    Hi---
    I would like to find out your very favorite way of making Manhattan Clam
    Chowder.
    I could google, but that doesn't tell me the best way to make it taste
    real
    "clammy" and great firmness to the potato cubes.

    Being Diabetic, I can't have the starchy New England type anymore (Darn--I
    love it).

    So, Manhattan Style it's gotta be, but I'm hoping for a recipie that gives
    me all the great flavors.

    There's a really good recipe for it in the Joy of Cooking cookbook (at least
    in the slightly older editions). In addition to the clams and tomatoes, the
    other essential flavor elements are salt pork, onion, and green pepper.

    Some of the keys to firm potatoes is to use "boiling" or standard white
    potatoes (at one time or another known as Maine or Long Island potatoes).
    Russet/Idaho or even the more recent Yukon Golds tend to disintegrate rather
    easily. The other thing is not to cook too long after the potatoes are
    added, perhaps 20 minutes after? In the Joy of Cooking recipe, the soup is
    done when the potatoes are cooked but still firm.

    When I make this recipe, I use the big honkin' chowder clams. They are a bit
    more work, but are cheaper and have a more interesting flavor. I steam them
    first, then separate the hard and soft parts for use as specified in the
    recipe. The liquid from the steaming becomes the base for the soup.

    In addition to being careful with the potatoes so they are not overdone, the
    cracklings from the salt pork go in at the last minute, helping retain their
    texture.

    --
    ( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

  5. Ron Gould said:

    Being Diabetic, I can't have the starchy New England type anymore (Darn--I
    love it).

    Quoted message said:

    So, Manhattan Style it's gotta be, but I'm hoping for a recipie that gives
    me all the great flavors.

    New England clam chowder should not be startchy because it
    should not include flour. It should include butter and/or cream
    and/or half-and-half to make it (somewhat) thick.

    If you substitute tomato soup for the cream component,
    you can turn any New-England style recipe into a Manhattan
    style recipe. I use Imagine Organic Creamy Tomato Soup,
    which is non-dairy. Other boxed tomato soups work, but
    read the ingredients. You add the soup last, right before
    serving, after having separately warmed it and in not
    too high a proportion -- around one-sixth the volume
    of the rest of the chowder.

    Steve

  6. wff_ng_7 said:

    There's a really good recipe for it in the Joy of Cooking cookbook (at least
    in the slightly older editions). In addition to the clams and tomatoes, the
    other essential flavor elements are salt pork, onion, and green pepper.

    Some of the keys to firm potatoes is to use "boiling" or standard white
    potatoes (at one time or another known as Maine or Long Island potatoes).
    Russet/Idaho or even the more recent Yukon Golds tend to disintegrate rather
    easily. The other thing is not to cook too long after the potatoes are
    added, perhaps 20 minutes after? In the Joy of Cooking recipe, the soup is
    done when the potatoes are cooked but still firm.

    Good suggestion on the boiling potatoes.

    I'm at sea level, and potatoes are cooked after seven minutes
    of boiling. I cannot immediately imagine a chowder needing or
    benefitting from hours of slow cooking. A chowder, for me,
    should be on the fresh-tasting side, with texture from the
    potatoes and celery. I also like seasoning them with red
    pepper, black pepper, white pepper, the barest amout of cumin, and
    Bay Seasoning. (But I'm usually making an oyster chowder,
    not a clam chowder.)

    Steve

  7. Ron Gould said:


    Hi---
    I would like to find out your very favorite way of making Manhattan Clam
    Chowder.
    I could google, but that doesn't tell me the best way to make it taste real
    "clammy" and great firmness to the potato cubes.

    Being Diabetic, I can't have the starchy New England type anymore (Darn--I
    love it).

    So, Manhattan Style it's gotta be, but I'm hoping for a recipie that gives
    me all the great flavors.

    Thanks---
    Ron

    How about the Rhode Island (clear broth) style? Much better than that
    nasty Manhattan attempt at chowder.

    Pete C.

  8. Steve Pope wrote on 11 Jun 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    New England clam chowder should not be startchy because it
    should not include flour. It should include butter and/or cream
    and/or half-and-half to make it (somewhat) thick.

    The amount of potatoes is what makes NE Clam chowder not diabetic freindly.
    Potatoes are high in starch (another word for carbs) hence NE Chowder is
    starchy.

    Perhaps you meant not starchy as in taste?

    Another consideration: quite a few NE Clam Chowder recipes along with the
    spuds also contain corn kernels another starchy food (as in high carb).

    I used to make a killer NE clam chowder...Instant potato flakes were used
    to aid the cream in thickening (also not allowed for carb watching
    diabetics)...

    --
    -Alan

  9. Mr Libido Incognito said:

    Steve Pope wrote on 11 Jun 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    New England clam chowder should not be startchy because it
    should not include flour. It should include butter and/or cream
    and/or half-and-half to make it (somewhat) thick.

    Quoted message said:

    The amount of potatoes is what makes NE Clam chowder not diabetic freindly.
    Potatoes are high in starch (another word for carbs) hence NE Chowder is
    starchy.

    Quoted message said:

    Perhaps you meant not starchy as in taste?

    Yes, I was thinking of of too-starchy in terms of added flour,
    but you're right that potatoes (as well as carrots, or tomatos)
    contain carbs.

    Without potatoes i'ts not chowder, but probably a low carb
    clam soup can be done.

    Steve

  10. A GOOD Manhattan chowder recipe? Take any standard Manhattan recipe,
    remove the tomatoes, and replace with cream.

    Tomatoes belong nowhere near good chowder. Blasphemer.

  11. Steve Pope said:


    Mr Libido Incognito said:

    Steve Pope wrote on 11 Jun 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    New England clam chowder should not be startchy because it
    should not include flour. It should include butter and/or cream
    and/or half-and-half to make it (somewhat) thick.

    Quoted message said:

    The amount of potatoes is what makes NE Clam chowder not diabetic freindly.
    Potatoes are high in starch (another word for carbs) hence NE Chowder is
    starchy.

    Quoted message said:

    Perhaps you meant not starchy as in taste?

    Yes, I was thinking of of too-starchy in terms of added flour,
    but you're right that potatoes (as well as carrots, or tomatos)
    contain carbs.

    Without potatoes i'ts not chowder, but probably a low carb
    clam soup can be done.

    Steve

    Wonder if there is a diabetic friendly vegetable that would make a
    passable substitute for potatoes?

    Pete C.

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Pete C. said:
    Steve Pope said:


    Mr Libido Incognito said:

    Steve Pope wrote on 11 Jun 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    > New England clam chowder should not be startchy because it
    > should not include flour. It should include butter and/or cream
    > and/or half-and-half to make it (somewhat) thick.

    Quoted message said:

    The amount of potatoes is what makes NE Clam chowder not diabetic freindly.
    Potatoes are high in starch (another word for carbs) hence NE Chowder is
    starchy.

    Quoted message said:

    Perhaps you meant not starchy as in taste?

    Yes, I was thinking of of too-starchy in terms of added flour,
    but you're right that potatoes (as well as carrots, or tomatos)
    contain carbs.

    Without potatoes i'ts not chowder, but probably a low carb
    clam soup can be done.

    Steve

    Wonder if there is a diabetic friendly vegetable that would make a
    passable substitute for potatoes?

    Pete C.

    Well, the taste and texture would be rather different (and I would
    _not_ call it chowder), but you might consider celery root.

  13. By definition, the only possible answer to the above question is "no."

    --
    -denny-
    "Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

    "It's come as you are, baby."

    -over the hedge

  14. Steve Pope said:

    If you substitute tomato soup for the cream component,
    you can turn any New-England style recipe into a Manhattan
    style recipe.

    I've made Manhattan chowder in the past. You're right, it's the same
    as New-England - except it's tomato based.... I like using a spicey
    tomato juice, like Snappy Tom.
    --

    Ham and eggs.
    A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

  15. Ron Gould said:

    Hi---
    I would like to find out your very favorite way of making Manhattan Clam
    Chowder.
    I could google, but that doesn't tell me the best way to make it taste real
    "clammy" and great firmness to the potato cubes.

    Being Diabetic, I can't have the starchy New England type anymore (Darn--I
    love it).

    So, Manhattan Style it's gotta be, but I'm hoping for a recipie that gives
    me all the great flavors.

    Thanks---
    Ron

    Since no one wants to post a recipe, here's a fish stew recipe of mine
    that you should be able to modify to make clam chowder. Mainly, use
    clams instead of the fish and add a bottle of clam juice. I can't
    remember if clam chowder is supposed to have a little bacon or salt pork
    in it, but how could that not be good? Add a sliced carrot if you like
    carrots. Etc.

    Use largish red potatoes. Your potatoes fell apart because you used
    Russets.

    _Bob's Whitefish, Tomato, and Potato Stew_

    1 (15 oz) can sliced stewed tomatoes (or diced Italian style tomatoes)
    2 tomato cans of water
    2 chicken bouillon cubes
    2 bay leaves
    generous pinch of thyme
    1/2 medium white or yellow onion, chopped
    1 or 2 ribs of celery, thinly sliced
    3 or 4 waxy potatoes, peeled and diced small
    1 sliced fresh jalapeño (optional)
    4 or 5 frozen whitefish fillets
    pinch of basil or marjoram
    black pepper, to taste
    red pepper flakes, if you didn't use the jalapeño

    Put tomatoes, water, bouillon, thyme, bayleaves, and vegetables in large
    saucepan. Cook uncovered until potatoes are soft. Stir vigorously so
    potatoes will shed a little starch and thicken the broth. Chop the
    frozen fillets into large pieces and add to the pot, along with basil or
    marjoram. Cook over medium heat until the fish is flaky, and stir to
    break up the fish a little. Adjust seasonings with salt, black pepper,
    and maybe a pinch of sugar or dash of worchestershire sauce.

    Notes: I didn't peel the potatoes on the first batch and that was a
    mistake; they cooked off of the potatoes and were unpleasant in the soup.

    --
    Best regards,
    Bob

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.