Road Cycling · Public discussion

Anyone dealt with a broken fibula?

Started by Dora Smith · · Last activity · 21 posts · 6,000 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
25 July 2004
Last activity
30 July 2004
Original author
Dora Smith
Posts
21
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
6,000
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 21
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have been pleasantly amazed by the multitude of immediate helpful answers
    I got about my sore butt question. Seems what I thought was an unusual
    problem, atleast in people who still ride bikes, is common. I only got
    one "what do you mean you're rding a bike with a broken leg?" crack.

    It occurs to me maybe a broken fibula isn't that unusual either. Doctor
    at cast clinic at Brackenridge says he's treated thousands of them. It is
    relatively unusual for the fibula, which is the small thin lower leg bone,
    to break by itself - but it could be relatively common for people to break
    it the way I did - by getting hit by a car while riding a bike. Fibula
    probably took a direct blow, or conceivably some stress only broke the
    smaller bone.

    Doctors at Brackenridge said a broken fibula doesn't need much attention
    because it is a non-weight bearing bone, and it is also a nonessential bone.
    I have a complete transverse fracture a little more than halfway up the
    shaft, but it set itself. They tried to put a temporary plaster splint on
    it - and called it a cast - but when I realized it wasn't that serious a
    situation I refused. Research on the Internet proved that was correct - a
    fractured fibula is more often treated with a removable splint, or even
    plain ace bandages. I understood it would be good to keep my weight off
    of it; unfortunately my other hip wasn't having any of that idea. So I
    ended up doing partial weight bearing with my removable walking boot that I
    ordered on the Internet, and crutches, for about three weeks.

    Doctor at cast clinic told me after two weeks I didn't really need the
    splint - but when I tried leaving it off leg got so aggravated I put it back
    on. It came off the day after I first rode my bike a week later, probably
    because bike riding stretched and conditioned my joints and muscles. The
    first day I carried it around in a large bag over my backpack, along with
    both crutches on my handlebars, which was a major pain.

    Leg and the bad hip are both very aggravated by long walks, and bus stop
    alone is a mile from my house. Work is a mile from where the bus stops....
    you get the picture.

    So a week ago I got my bike back on the road.

    Broken leg doesn't object to easy peddling on level terrain while I'm riding
    it - but later it pretty much gets as aggravated as it did when I was
    walking. I carry one crutch on my bike (on the handlebar) - but I use it as
    little as possible because the bad hip hates even walking with one crutch.
    When I do use it it is usually because the bad hip is so spastic and stiff
    or whatever that I can't walk.

    My intuitiion is that I'm better off getting around the way that doesn't
    require bearing weight.

    I'm doing alot more than I originally could in general - but my entire lower
    body was sprained and badly bruised. So that isn't a wonder. Broken leg
    is still doing alot of fussing and carrying on. It no longer is grossly
    swollen, but much activity produces a grapefruit on the side of my leg.

    A few days ago I missed a bus, had the next one a half hour later come by
    wearing two bicycles, and rode my bike four miles, not fast or in high gear
    or uphill or anything - and though the leg never said boo while I was
    riding, once I got to work it soon proved to have been way too much. I
    ended up with my leg up on a chair with a bag of ice.

    I am still keeping it tightly wrapped in ace bandages.

    Of course, the other knee, which has nothing apparent wrong with it, is
    still swelling up like a grapefruit - and that interferes with the bad hip.
    Tight bandaging it and knee braces don't help. It just blows up when you
    take it off, and it turns purple to boot.

    I am wondering what experiences other people with the same thing have had,
    and what they did for it?

    Oh - I couldn't get anyone at Brackenridge to physically examine the hip.
    They did x-ray it - which could miss a fracture. Brackenridge is a trip;
    they rushed me to the trauma center on a backboard in an ambulance, did a
    head and body CAT scan and several X-rays, took urine and asked me if I had
    my period - and never physically touched my body, except to insert an IV and
    check my blood pressure. I mean they didn't feel to see what might be
    injured or broken! They missed the broken fibula; I returned to the
    emergency room later because I was feeling sicker than the trauma and the
    not concussion could account for (I never bumped my head, but I did have
    mild whiplash). . They had put the swollen knee in an immobilizer, told me
    it was sprained, though they never examined nor did a single stress test on
    it, and told me to keep it in the immobilizer and hop on crutches (on the
    broken leg) for a full month. I soon realized I couldn't hop on crutches
    on the (broken) other leg, and last two times I let anyone tell me to stay
    off a sprained knee, when I finally got competent medical care, it proved
    to be a serious mistake.

    I had to go all the way to the executive director of Seton Hospitals to get
    the doctor at the cast clinic to stress test the clearly badly sprained
    ankle that goes with the broken fibula to see if the bone broke because the
    ligaments and fascia between the fibula and the tibia had gone - which is
    the most common way a fibula breaks by itself, and often overlooked in
    emergency rooms. Good news is the "mortise", ie the ankle joint itself,
    seemed rock solid - I guess we'll see.

    --

    Yours,
    Dora Smith
    Austin, Texas
    [email hidden]

  2. On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 02:00:42 GMT, "Dora Smith"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    <snip much osteopathic-type blather>

    I don't suppose it has crossed your mind to see an orthopedist about
    any of this?

  3. On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 02:00:42 GMT, "Dora Smith"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Bla, bla, bla

    Let it heal, you dumb [censored].

  4. On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 02:20:27 GMT, Slinky <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 02:00:42 GMT, "Dora Smith"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    <snip much osteopathic-type blather>

    I don't suppose it has crossed your mind to see an orthopedist about
    any of this?

    Be sure to see a holistic orthopedist; one who concerns himself not
    merely with the fracture, but with the entire bone.

  5. What an idea! Answer was too obvious to explain - but maybe only to someone
    in Texas, I dunno.

    According to Peoples Community Clinic there is no orthopedic care available
    to people without money and insurance except the jokers at Brackenridge.

    Dora

    --

    Yours,
    Dora Smith
    Austin, Texas
    [email hidden]
    "Slinky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 02:00:42 GMT, "Dora Smith"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    <snip much osteopathic-type blather>

    I don't suppose it has crossed your mind to see an orthopedist about
    any of this?

  6. Folks, I hate to tell you, but I have no resources to see ANY orthopedist.
    Or of course I'd have seen one by now.

    --

    Yours,
    Dora Smith
    Austin, Texas
    [email hidden]
    "Zippy the Pinhead" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 02:20:27 GMT, Slinky <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 02:00:42 GMT, "Dora Smith"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    <snip much osteopathic-type blather>

    I don't suppose it has crossed your mind to see an orthopedist about
    any of this?

    Be sure to see a holistic orthopedist; one who concerns himself not
    merely with the fracture, but with the entire bone.

  7. Dora Smith said:

    What an idea! Answer was too obvious to explain - but maybe only to someone
    in Texas, I dunno.

    Geography has nothing to do with anything.

    There's nothing obvious here except you whining that you've got a
    broken bone that isn't healing - gee duh, because you keep using it.

    Quoted message said:


    According to Peoples Community Clinic there is no orthopedic care available
    to people without money and insurance except the jokers at Brackenridge.


    I don't recall seeing anything in your original whine that indicates
    you have no money or insurance. You simply go on about how you keep
    using your leg and why isn't it healing and what schmucks the Brack
    people are for not diagnosing all of your injuries and magic-wanding
    them when you were in the ER.

  8. Dora Smith said:

    I have been pleasantly amazed by the multitude of immediate helpful answers
    I got about my sore butt question. Seems what I thought was an unusual
    problem, atleast in people who still ride bikes, is common. I only got
    one "what do you mean you're rding a bike with a broken leg?" crack.

    I didn't think it was a crack. I interpreted it as an honest
    exclamation of surprise. Please consider the idea that riding a bike
    with a broken leg bone will surprise a lot of people. It certainly
    surprised me.

    Is there any possibility you can give your lower body a complete rest?
    It's gotta be hard for your hip and legs to heal if you're using them so
    vigorously.

    -km

    --
    the black rose
    GO LANCE GO!!!
    proud to be owned by a yorkie
    http://community.webshots.com/user/blackrosequilts

  9. If you got hit by a car, possibly the driver's insurance might pay your
    expenses. Certainly you could sue for money. If it wasn't your fault,
    try contacting Legal Aid or a personal injury attorney.

    Diana Sledge

    Dora Smith said:

    What an idea! Answer was too obvious to explain - but maybe only to someone
    in Texas, I dunno.

    According to Peoples Community Clinic there is no orthopedic care available
    to people without money and insurance except the jokers at Brackenridge.

    Dora

    --

    Yours,
    Dora Smith
    Austin, Texas
    [email hidden]
    "Slinky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 02:00:42 GMT, "Dora Smith"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    <snip much osteopathic-type blather>

    I don't suppose it has crossed your mind to see an orthopedist about
    any of this?

  10. Black Rose and Others:

    The ease with which you are astonished really isn't my problem. It's
    yours.

    Geez, maybe I should apply for a job with your company. Then when you
    reject me because your view of the world says people with broken bones
    belong in bed, I can file an Americans with Disabilities Complaint. You've
    got a wakeup coming, girl!

    I want to here from people who've had a broken fibula and LIVED with it.
    Not OTHER people with attitude problems - laziness clearly among them.
    Haven't you got anything better to do than answer newsnet posts that don't
    concern you with views that have nothing to do with the question asked?
    no - I guess not. And some of you, you're language proves it. Not to
    mention the very idea that you'd lay around with a broken bone.

    I want to hear from people with both something going for them and direct
    experience with a broken fibula - and the answers to my previous question
    left me thinking there were such people on newsnet!

    Oh well....

    --

    Yours,
    Dora Smith
    Austin, Texas
    [email hidden]
    "the black rose" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dora Smith said:

    I have been pleasantly amazed by the multitude of immediate helpful


    answers

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I got about my sore butt question. Seems what I thought was an unusual
    problem, atleast in people who still ride bikes, is common. I only


    got

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    one "what do you mean you're rding a bike with a broken leg?" crack.

    I didn't think it was a crack. I interpreted it as an honest
    exclamation of surprise. Please consider the idea that riding a bike
    with a broken leg bone will surprise a lot of people. It certainly
    surprised me.

    Is there any possibility you can give your lower body a complete rest?
    It's gotta be hard for your hip and legs to heal if you're using them so
    vigorously.

    -km

  11. Dora,

    If I were you, I'd seriously consider calling several lawyers till I found one
    who handles cycling injuries. Most will work for a % of the recovery. In this
    case it would cost you nothing, and you could get enough to cover all your
    reasonable and proper medical costs, and perhaps more. If nothing else, perhaps
    they could tell you about other options for inexpensive medical services.

    I apologize for some of the remarks you have received from the group.

    Good Luck,
    Ernie

    Dora Smith said:

    I have been pleasantly amazed by the multitude of immediate helpful answers
    I got about my sore butt question. Seems what I thought was an unusual
    problem, atleast in people who still ride bikes, is common. I only got
    one "what do you mean you're rding a bike with a broken leg?" crack.

    It occurs to me maybe a broken fibula isn't that unusual either. Doctor
    at cast clinic at Brackenridge says he's treated thousands of them. It is
    relatively unusual for the fibula, which is the small thin lower leg bone,
    to break by itself - but it could be relatively common for people to break
    it the way I did - by getting hit by a car while riding a bike. Fibula
    probably took a direct blow, or conceivably some stress only broke the
    smaller bone.

    Doctors at Brackenridge said a broken fibula doesn't need much attention
    because it is a non-weight bearing bone, and it is also a nonessential bone.
    I have a complete transverse fracture a little more than halfway up the
    shaft, but it set itself. They tried to put a temporary plaster splint on
    it - and called it a cast - but when I realized it wasn't that serious a
    situation I refused. Research on the Internet proved that was correct - a
    fractured fibula is more often treated with a removable splint, or even
    plain ace bandages. I understood it would be good to keep my weight off
    of it; unfortunately my other hip wasn't having any of that idea. So I
    ended up doing partial weight bearing with my removable walking boot that I
    ordered on the Internet, and crutches, for about three weeks.

    Doctor at cast clinic told me after two weeks I didn't really need the
    splint - but when I tried leaving it off leg got so aggravated I put it back
    on. It came off the day after I first rode my bike a week later, probably
    because bike riding stretched and conditioned my joints and muscles. The
    first day I carried it around in a large bag over my backpack, along with
    both crutches on my handlebars, which was a major pain.

    Leg and the bad hip are both very aggravated by long walks, and bus stop
    alone is a mile from my house. Work is a mile from where the bus stops....
    you get the picture.

    So a week ago I got my bike back on the road.

    Broken leg doesn't object to easy peddling on level terrain while I'm riding
    it - but later it pretty much gets as aggravated as it did when I was
    walking. I carry one crutch on my bike (on the handlebar) - but I use it as
    little as possible because the bad hip hates even walking with one crutch.
    When I do use it it is usually because the bad hip is so spastic and stiff
    or whatever that I can't walk.

    My intuitiion is that I'm better off getting around the way that doesn't
    require bearing weight.

    I'm doing alot more than I originally could in general - but my entire lower
    body was sprained and badly bruised. So that isn't a wonder. Broken leg
    is still doing alot of fussing and carrying on. It no longer is grossly
    swollen, but much activity produces a grapefruit on the side of my leg.

    A few days ago I missed a bus, had the next one a half hour later come by
    wearing two bicycles, and rode my bike four miles, not fast or in high gear
    or uphill or anything - and though the leg never said boo while I was
    riding, once I got to work it soon proved to have been way too much. I
    ended up with my leg up on a chair with a bag of ice.

    I am still keeping it tightly wrapped in ace bandages.

    Of course, the other knee, which has nothing apparent wrong with it, is
    still swelling up like a grapefruit - and that interferes with the bad hip.
    Tight bandaging it and knee braces don't help. It just blows up when you
    take it off, and it turns purple to boot.

    I am wondering what experiences other people with the same thing have had,
    and what they did for it?

    Oh - I couldn't get anyone at Brackenridge to physically examine the hip.
    They did x-ray it - which could miss a fracture. Brackenridge is a trip;
    they rushed me to the trauma center on a backboard in an ambulance, did a
    head and body CAT scan and several X-rays, took urine and asked me if I had
    my period - and never physically touched my body, except to insert an IV and
    check my blood pressure. I mean they didn't feel to see what might be
    injured or broken! They missed the broken fibula; I returned to the
    emergency room later because I was feeling sicker than the trauma and the
    not concussion could account for (I never bumped my head, but I did have
    mild whiplash). . They had put the swollen knee in an immobilizer, told me
    it was sprained, though they never examined nor did a single stress test on
    it, and told me to keep it in the immobilizer and hop on crutches (on the
    broken leg) for a full month. I soon realized I couldn't hop on crutches
    on the (broken) other leg, and last two times I let anyone tell me to stay
    off a sprained knee, when I finally got competent medical care, it proved
    to be a serious mistake.

    I had to go all the way to the executive director of Seton Hospitals to get
    the doctor at the cast clinic to stress test the clearly badly sprained
    ankle that goes with the broken fibula to see if the bone broke because the
    ligaments and fascia between the fibula and the tibia had gone - which is
    the most common way a fibula breaks by itself, and often overlooked in
    emergency rooms. Good news is the "mortise", ie the ankle joint itself,
    seemed rock solid - I guess we'll see.

    --

    Yours,
    Dora Smith
    Austin, Texas
    [email hidden]

  12. "Dora Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What an idea! Answer was too obvious to explain - but maybe only to


    someone

    Quoted message said:

    in Texas, I dunno.

    According to Peoples Community Clinic there is no orthopedic care


    available

    Quoted message said:

    to people without money and insurance except the jokers at Brackenridge.

    Dora

    Wait...you have money to pay for Time Warner and a computer, but not for
    orthopedic care? You need to get your priorities straight.

  13. Give it a rest, literally.

    Dora Smith said:

    Black Rose and Others:

    The ease with which you are astonished really isn't my problem. It's
    yours.

    Geez, maybe I should apply for a job with your company. Then when you
    reject me because your view of the world says people with broken bones
    belong in bed, I can file an Americans with Disabilities Complaint. You've
    got a wakeup coming, girl!

    I want to here from people who've had a broken fibula and LIVED with it.
    Not OTHER people with attitude problems - laziness clearly among them.
    Haven't you got anything better to do than answer newsnet posts that don't
    concern you with views that have nothing to do with the question asked?
    no - I guess not. And some of you, you're language proves it. Not to
    mention the very idea that you'd lay around with a broken bone.

    I want to hear from people with both something going for them and direct
    experience with a broken fibula - and the answers to my previous question
    left me thinking there were such people on newsnet!

    Oh well....

    --

    Yours,
    Dora Smith
    Austin, Texas
    [email hidden]
    "the black rose" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dora Smith said:

    I have been pleasantly amazed by the multitude of immediate helpful

    answers

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I got about my sore butt question. Seems what I thought was an unusual
    problem, atleast in people who still ride bikes, is common. I only

    got

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    one "what do you mean you're rding a bike with a broken leg?" crack.

    I didn't think it was a crack. I interpreted it as an honest
    exclamation of surprise. Please consider the idea that riding a bike
    with a broken leg bone will surprise a lot of people. It certainly
    surprised me.

    Is there any possibility you can give your lower body a complete rest?
    It's gotta be hard for your hip and legs to heal if you're using them so
    vigorously.

    -km

  14. Hi Dora, IMO, your not giving yourself enough time to heal. I broke
    this very same bone when I was a kid (11) and I wore a full cast to
    the knee for 6 full weeks. The fact they claim that this bone does
    not bear the weight of the body is incorrect also.

    Seems you're treating this injury as a simple sprain when it is not. A
    fractured bone, is a broken bone, plain, and simple.

    You should be off the leg as much as possible for at least a few
    weeks, and I would wear whatever type splint they gave you for a
    period.
    Make sure you're getting plenty of calcium too.

    After I broke my leg, this fracture haunted me for quite awhile.
    Perhaps because after wearing a cast. Leg muscles become atrophied,
    and weak.
    I recommend taking it easy for awhile. Bike riding should not be in
    your recovery plans for at leat a month. Can't you find someone to
    give you a lift?This would be the best thing for awhile. Mark

  15. "E. Willson" wrote: If I were you, I'd seriously consider calling
    several lawyers till I found one who handles cycling injuries. Most will
    work for a % of the recovery. In this case it would cost you nothing, and
    you could get enough to cover all your reasonable and proper medical costs,
    and perhaps more. (clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Yeah. I can picture the courtroom scene, where the lawyer on the othert
    side brings up the fact that you were riding your bike with that broken
    fibula. LOL

  16. Dora Smith said:

    I want to hear from people with both something going for them and direct
    experience with a broken fibula - and the answers to my previous question
    left me thinking there were such people on newsnet!

    Oh well....

    Well. I *was* sympathetic. You were awfully quick to attack, my dear.

    I re-read the responses carefully. The person with direct experience
    with a broken fibula has suggested the same thing the rest of us have --
    let the broken bone rest (which, by the way, is not equivalent to saying
    people with broken bones should "lie around" -- kindly refrain from
    putting words in my mouth). Perhaps we have more common sense than you
    give us credit for.

    Giving your injuries a rest is *clearly* not the answer you wanted to
    hear. You might want to try removing the chip from your shoulder and
    see if that improves your reading comprehension.

    -km

    --
    the black rose
    proud to be owned by a yorkie
    http://community.webshots.com/user/blackrosequilts

  17. the black rose said:
    Dora Smith said:

    I want to hear from people with both something going for them and
    direct experience with a broken fibula - and the answers to my
    previous question left me thinking there were such people on newsnet!

    Oh well....

    Well. I *was* sympathetic. You were awfully quick to attack, my
    dear.

    I re-read the responses carefully. The person with direct experience
    with a broken fibula has suggested the same thing the rest of us have
    -- let the broken bone rest (which, by the way, is not equivalent to
    saying people with broken bones should "lie around" -- kindly refrain
    from putting words in my mouth). Perhaps we have more common sense
    than you give us credit for.

    Giving your injuries a rest is *clearly* not the answer you wanted to
    hear. You might want to try removing the chip from your shoulder and
    see if that improves your reading comprehension.

    My, that was a measured, reasonable, excellent reply.

    How'd YOU get in here?!? 🙂

    Dora, you're coming across as a whining, top-posting, spoiled idiot. Like
    someone else said, if you can't afford medical care (yet CAN pay for a
    broadband ISP), then go see a community clinic or whatever. Just be sure to
    lock up your Colnago before going in...

    Bill "nearly amazed" S.

  18. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Elizabeth said:

    "Dora Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What an idea! Answer was too obvious to explain - but maybe only to


    someone

    Quoted message said:

    in Texas, I dunno.

    According to Peoples Community Clinic there is no orthopedic care


    available

    Quoted message said:

    to people without money and insurance except the jokers at Brackenridge.

    Dora

    Wait...you have money to pay for Time Warner and a computer, but not for
    orthopedic care? You need to get your priorities straight.


    This baffles me.

    Broadband access seems to have pretty much standardized around $50/mo. So,
    if she cuts off her access for what, 2-3 months, that would pay for what, 1
    office visit? If she's lucky.

    Mark

    - --
    Remove both wrongs to make the email address right.

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQFBBU20LVmEOl6/PWERAm5EAJ9pS1A9P9/Vy7oV0HbtB026cJOiAACgh7+K
    Y3wf/OXq7IvHNPIaGVSClDQ=
    =uvkg
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  19. S o r n i said:

    My, that was a measured, reasonable, excellent reply.

    How'd YOU get in here?!? 🙂

    I snuck in, in the dark of night, during a fierce electrical storm, when
    no one could see because they had taken shelter in their cellars. :-D

    Quoted message said:

    Bill "nearly amazed" S.

    *snorfle* "nearly amazed" tee hee hee hee hee!

    -km

    --
    the black rose
    proud to be owned by a yorkie
    http://community.webshots.com/user/blackrosequilts

  20. About ten years ago I fell on some wet leaves and twisted my leg on my
    pedal toe clips. I felt it was a twisted ankle, and then rode 6 miles
    home. That night I bandaged my leg up, used a cane and hobbled to a
    concert.

    The next day the pain was so intense that I could not ignore it. I
    went to the clinic. After the doctor looked at my x-ray, he said "I
    hope you didn't walk on it." He put me in a cast and I hobbled around
    for 8 weeks before it was removed. No one told me that I could do
    with less.

    Since then I only use clipless pedals, which take some getting used to
    but will not twist you leg if you fall.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.