Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Any tips on opening up a Sturmey hub?

Started by Jasper Janssen · · Last activity · 8 posts · 373 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
17 September 2005
Last activity
23 September 2005
Original author
Jasper Janssen
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
373
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I need to open up a Sturmey 3 speed (the AB, with drum brake, but it's
    mostly the same as the AW on the gear side), because the indicator spindle
    and the little thingy inside that it screws into have mutually destroyed
    threads. It's not just the spindle, since I've put in a new spindle a
    while ago and now it's doing it again, so I'd like to solve this problem
    permanently (also, the spindle is coming out with a lot of very black gunk
    on it, so it really needs a good clean in there).

    I just cannot manage to get that lid to unscrew with available parts. I
    can't find the punch that I once bought specifically for opening up SA
    hubs, so I've been trying using screwdrivers and an M5 bolt I had lying
    around that looked the right size, but all I'm succeeding in doing is
    making a lot of noise late at night and completely destroying the end of
    that bolt (it seems to have been softer material than the lid).

    Any tips for what to use? How do I hold/support the wheel so that the
    force of my blows actually ends up torquing that lid? Tyre on, off
    inflated, not, vise (on what), anything? Anyone happen to know where I
    could buy for not too much money, and preferably in europe, that handy
    wrench thingy that fits the lid exactly?

    Jasper

  2. Jasper Janssen said:

    I need to open up a Sturmey 3 speed (the AB, with drum brake, but
    it's mostly the same as the AW on the gear side), because the
    indicator spindle and the little thingy inside that it screws into
    have mutually destroyed threads. It's not just the spindle, since
    I've put in a new spindle a while ago and now it's doing it again,
    so I'd like to solve this problem permanently (also, the spindle is
    coming out with a lot of very black gunk on it, so it really needs a
    good clean in there).

    Quoted message said:

    I just cannot manage to get that lid to unscrew with available
    parts. I can't find the punch that I once bought specifically for
    opening up SA hubs, so I've been trying using screwdrivers and an M5
    bolt I had lying around that looked the right size, but all I'm
    succeeding in doing is making a lot of noise late at night and
    completely destroying the end of that bolt (it seems to have been
    softer material than the lid).

    The right cup is a double lead right hand thread and should come off
    relatively easily for that reason. The left side is a left hand
    thread, both covers transmitting forward torque to the hub at one gear
    or another.

    Quoted message said:

    Any tips for what to use? How do I hold/support the wheel so that
    the force of my blows actually ends up torquing that lid? Tyre on,
    off inflated, not, vise (on what), anything? Anyone happen to know
    where I could buy for not too much money, and preferably in Europe,
    that handy wrench thingy that fits the lid exactly?

    I've never had a problem with this so I can't suggest anything other
    than taking the cover off before un-spoking the wheel. I use a flat
    faced punch for the right cup and a large crescent wrench for the
    left.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer.html

    Jobst Brandt

  3. Quoted message said:

    Jasper Janssen writes:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I just cannot manage to get that lid to unscrew with available
    parts. I can't find the punch that I once bought specifically for
    opening up SA hubs, so I've been trying using screwdrivers and an M5
    bolt I had lying around that looked the right size, but all I'm
    succeeding in doing is making a lot of noise late at night and
    completely destroying the end of that bolt (it seems to have been
    softer material than the lid).

    The right cup is a double lead right hand thread and should come off
    relatively easily for that reason. The left side is a left hand
    thread, both covers transmitting forward torque to the hub at one gear
    or another.

    The AB doesn't actually have the left hand cover, or at least not a
    removable one, it's pressed into the hubshell separating the drum from the
    gears (and the inner workings are shorter to compensate), but this one
    appears to be right stuck. It hasn't been off, presumably, since 1985 when
    it was made.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Any tips for what to use? How do I hold/support the wheel so that
    the force of my blows actually ends up torquing that lid? Tyre on,
    off inflated, not, vise (on what), anything? Anyone happen to know
    where I could buy for not too much money, and preferably in Europe,
    that handy wrench thingy that fits the lid exactly?

    I've never had a problem with this so I can't suggest anything other
    than taking the cover off before un-spoking the wheel. I use a flat
    faced punch for the right cup and a large crescent wrench for the
    left.

    The wheel is spoked, in fact I recently put new spokes and a new rim on
    this hub, which is why I'm not inclined to just toss it and go to a spare.
    Do you clamp the wheel in a vise by the coneless left axle end while
    attacking the notches with a punch?

    Jasper

  4. Jasper Janssen said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I just cannot manage to get that lid to unscrew with available
    parts. I can't find the punch that I once bought specifically for
    opening up SA hubs, so I've been trying using screwdrivers and an
    M5 bolt I had lying around that looked the right size, but all I'm
    succeeding in doing is making a lot of noise late at night and
    completely destroying the end of that bolt (it seems to have been
    softer material than the lid).

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The right cup is a double lead right hand thread and should come
    off relatively easily for that reason. The left side is a left
    hand thread, both covers transmitting forward torque to the hub at
    one gear or another.

    Quoted message said:

    The AB doesn't actually have the left hand cover, or at least not a
    removable one, it's pressed into the hubshell separating the drum
    from the gears (and the inner workings are shorter to compensate),
    but this one appears to be right stuck. It hasn't been off,
    presumably, since 1985 when it was made.

    I've not worked on the AB hub but I have in various others. Later
    AW's also had a pressed in knurled left cup on later models because it
    doesn't need to be removed for common servicing.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Any tips for what to use? How do I hold/support the wheel so that
    the force of my blows actually ends up torquing that lid? Tyre
    on, off inflated, not, vise (on what), anything? Anyone happen to
    know where I could buy for not too much money, and preferably in
    Europe, that handy wrench thingy that fits the lid exactly?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've never had a problem with this so I can't suggest anything
    other than taking the cover off before un-spoking the wheel. I use
    a flat faced punch for the right cup and a large crescent wrench
    for the left.

    Quoted message said:

    The wheel is spoked, in fact I recently put new spokes and a new rim
    on this hub, which is why I'm not inclined to just toss it and go to
    a spare. Do you clamp the wheel in a vise by the coneless left axle
    end while attacking the notches with a punch?

    As I said, it has a double lead thread that unscrews fairly easily.
    Your hub must have gotten a gratuitous Loctite treatment or the like.
    I just lean the wheel against my leg and give it a couple of moderate
    hammer blows on the punch.

    Jobst Brandt

  5. Quoted message said:

    Jasper Janssen writes:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The AB doesn't actually have the left hand cover, or at least not a
    removable one, it's pressed into the hubshell separating the drum
    from the gears (and the inner workings are shorter to compensate),
    but this one appears to be right stuck. It hasn't been off,
    presumably, since 1985 when it was made.

    I don't have the exploded view in front of me, so I may be visualizing
    this wrong. I believe the AB left "cover" would have to be pressed in,
    because the drive would torque it one way while the brakes would
    torque it the other. If the braking torque is never applied to this
    part, then it's possible that it's screwed in. In general, only
    threaded covers would have flats for unscrewing them.

    There were some hubs which required a special gear on a shaft to
    unscrew the left cup. I have one which I made about 25 years ago and
    used exactly once. It really should not be necessary to take this part
    out.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Do you clamp the wheel in a vise by the coneless left axle
    end while attacking the notches with a punch?

    No, that would tend to damage the axle. Just stand it upright on the
    ground and tap with the hammer and punch from above.

    -
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim Adney [email hidden]
    Madison, WI 53711 USA
    -----------------------------------------------

  6. Jim Adney said:
    Quoted message said:

    Jasper Janssen writes:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The AB doesn't actually have the left hand cover, or at least not a
    removable one, it's pressed into the hubshell separating the drum
    from the gears (and the inner workings are shorter to compensate),

    This was about the left cup.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    but this one appears to be right stuck. It hasn't been off,
    presumably, since 1985 when it was made.

    And that was about the right cup.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't have the exploded view in front of me, so I may be visualizing
    this wrong. I believe the AB left "cover" would have to be pressed in,
    because the drive would torque it one way while the brakes would
    torque it the other. If the braking torque is never applied to this
    part, then it's possible that it's screwed in. In general, only
    threaded covers would have flats for unscrewing them.

    The brakes actuate directly on the hubshell. You've got a hubshell that's
    AW-diameter on the right and the drum diameter on the left. Into the bit
    where it becomes the smaller diameter is press-fitted (I think, certainly
    no flats) a cover that functions like the left hand cup on AWs. I'm told
    that AWs only had screwed in left cups <61, anyway, so my '85 AB would
    disqualify itself because of that as well.

    Quoted message said:

    There were some hubs which required a special gear on a shaft to
    unscrew the left cup. I have one which I made about 25 years ago and
    used exactly once. It really should not be necessary to take this part
    out.

    I wasn't going to, although I see why you think that -- in that paragraph
    above I switched from discussing the left hand cup, which can stay where
    it is in eternity pretty much, to discussing the right hand cup which I
    did need to get out, without a clear signal, or for that matter any signal
    that I did so. I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Do you clamp the wheel in a vise by the coneless left axle
    end while attacking the notches with a punch?

    No, that would tend to damage the axle. Just stand it upright on the
    ground and tap with the hammer and punch from above.

    That's what my LBS guy did for me. Got it loose in 30 seconds, no charge.
    Of course, I paid 12 euros or so for a bunch of new parts, so he's got my
    pound of flesh anyway.

    Jasper

  7. On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:14:05 GMT Jasper Janssen <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 22:00:18 -0500, Jim Adney <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Jasper Janssen writes:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Do you clamp the wheel in a vise by the coneless left axle
    > end while attacking the notches with a punch?

    No, that would tend to damage the axle. Just stand it upright on the
    ground and tap with the hammer and punch from above.

    That's what my LBS guy did for me. Got it loose in 30 seconds, no charge.
    Of course, I paid 12 euros or so for a bunch of new parts, so he's got my
    pound of flesh anyway.

    Sounds good. Let us know how it goes from here. I'm pleased and
    surprised that you found the parts you needed. S-A parts are getting
    hard to find. I assume that the parts you needed were parts shared by
    the AW also.

    -
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim Adney [email hidden]
    Madison, WI 53711 USA
    -----------------------------------------------

  8. Jim Adney said:


    I didn't realize that SA production had started up again. Where are
    the parts made now? Are they making ABs and AWs? What else?

    Sturmey Archer stuff is made in Taiwan:
    http://www.sturmey-archer.com/

    As always, Sheldon is Da Man:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/sturmey.html

    Jeff

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.