Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Any tips for finding a used bike in Melbourne?

Started by Homer30 · · Last activity · 15 posts · 642 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
7 September 2003
Last activity
10 September 2003
Original author
Homer30
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
642
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello to all cycling friends,

    I'm looking for a used bike (MTB preferred) in Melbourne. Perhaps I
    should mention, that I'm a german student, who will work in Melbourne
    for half a year, so if you know any good addresses of shops or could
    give me some hints for local newspapers or magazines which offer ads for
    used bikes or something like that, you would help me a lot.

    I know I will miss my bike here at home as soon as I lift up from the
    ground next week to fly to Australia and I can't imagine not doing my
    daily ride for half a year. 😄

    Thanks to all in advance.

    Homer30

    --

    Quoted message said:

    --------------------------<


    Posted via cyclingforums.com
    http://www.cyclingforums.com

  2. Homer30 said:

    Hello to all cycling friends,

    I'm looking for a used bike (MTB preferred) in Melbourne. Perhaps I
    should mention, that I'm a german student, who will work in Melbourne
    for half a year, so if you know any good addresses of shops or could
    give me some hints for local newspapers or magazines which offer ads for
    used bikes or something like that, you would help me a lot.

    I know I will miss my bike here at home as soon as I lift up from the
    ground next week to fly to Australia and I can't imagine not doing my
    daily ride for half a year. 😄

    Thanks to all in advance.

    Homer30

    U could always try the trading post
    http://www.melbournetradingpost.com.au

    The print version of the trading post goes onsale weekly on
    Thursdays, I think it costs about $1.50 last I bought a copy
    about a year ago.. not sure how much it is these days.

    Quoted message said:

    --

    Quoted message said:

    --------------------------<

    Posted via cyclingforums.com
    http://www.cyclingforums.com

    --

    | THE MX IS GOOD FOR THE ECONOMY. One important reason we
    | have a Defense Department is that when we give it money,
    | it spends it, which creates jobs, whereas if we left the
    | money in the hands of civilians, we don't know what they'd
    | do with it. Probably put it in open trenches and set it on
    | fire. The MX will create an especially large number of jobs
    | because of the number of warheads it carries. It carries a
    | total of 10 warheads. This creates a great deal of
    | employment, because you have your Warhead Makers, your Warhead
    | Lifters, your Persons Who Tap the Warheads Gently with Rubber
    | Mallets to Wedge Them All Snugly Into the Nose Cone, your
    | Persons Who Just Walk Around Playing Soothing Cassettes by
    | Recording Artists such as Perry Como So We Don't Have Any More
    | Episodes Where a Worker Who is Experiencing Some Strain Sticks
    | a Warhead in the Employee Cafeteria Microwave and Sets It On
    | Roast, etc. We are talking about a lot of jobs. - Dave Barry,
    | `At Last, the Ultimate Deterrent Against Political Fallout'

  3. "Homer30" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm looking for a used bike (MTB preferred) in Melbourne. Perhaps I
    should mention, that I'm a german student, who will work in Melbourne
    for half a year, so if you know any good addresses of shops or could
    give me some hints for local newspapers or magazines which offer ads for
    used bikes or something like that, you would help me a lot.

    Buy a copy of "The Trading Post" from most supermarkets,
    newsagents, etc. It comes out on Thursdays I think. It has
    a Bicycle section and various price ranges.

    Or search their site online at: www.tradingpost.com.au

    I found my track bike the other day using their online
    search facility.

    Some bike shops sell second-hand bikes too. Where are you
    located? Someone could give you some shops to try...

    hth
    hippy

  4. "cc" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    U could always try the trading post
    http://www.melbournetradingpost.com.au

    Doh! You beat me to it! :-)

    hippy

  5. Thank you for the link, I will stay somewhere in St.Kilda or Elwood,
    haven't arranged an accomodation yet, but for the first week I will stay
    in an hostel (Enfield in St Kilda).

    cheers

    Homer30

    --

    Quoted message said:

    --------------------------<


    Posted via cyclingforums.com
    http://www.cyclingforums.com

  6. Homer30 <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello to all cycling friends,

    I'm looking for a used bike (MTB preferred) in Melbourne. Perhaps I
    should mention, that I'm a german student, who will work in Melbourne
    for half a year, so if you know any good addresses of shops or could
    give me some hints for local newspapers or magazines which offer ads for
    used bikes or something like that, you would help me a lot.

    I know I will miss my bike here at home as soon as I lift up from the
    ground next week to fly to Australia and I can't imagine not doing my
    daily ride for half a year. 😄

    Email me, and I can get you a bike much cheaper than anything you can buy
    out of the trading post. $30-$40 will get you a bike that will last you 6
    months, no probs!
    ---
    DFM

  7. Deep Flayed Mar said:

    Email me, and I can get you a bike much cheaper than anything you can
    buy out of the trading post. $30-$40 will get you a bike that will last
    you 6 months, no probs!
    ---
    DFM

    Thanks for your offer, could you plz give me your e-mail address that I
    can contact you when I'm in Melbourne.

    cheers,

    Homer30

    --

    Quoted message said:

    --------------------------<


    Posted via cyclingforums.com
    http://www.cyclingforums.com

  8. Homer30 said:

    Hello to all cycling friends,

    I'm looking for a used bike (MTB preferred) in Melbourne. <snip>

    There's usually something on EBay (hell, you could start bidding now!)

    http://listings.ebay.com.au/pool1/plistings/list/all/category7297/index.html?from=R4

    &roo

    P.S. Welcome to Oz (when you get here), but watch out for magpies - they
    are breeding about now! :-)

  9. Homer30 <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Deep Flayed Mar said:

    Email me, and I can get you a bike much cheaper than anything you can
    buy out of the trading post. $30-$40 will get you a bike that will


    last

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    you 6 months, no probs!
    ---
    DFM

    Thanks for your offer, could you plz give me your e-mail address that I
    can contact you when I'm in Melbourne.

    Sure, its deep floyd mars at yahoo dot co dot uk.
    ---
    DFM

  10. Homer30 <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    Thank you for the link, I will stay somewhere in St.Kilda or Elwood,
    haven't arranged an accomodation yet, but for the first week I will
    stay in an hostel (Enfield in St Kilda).

    Do *not* let your bike out of your sight in St Kilda.

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  11. Homer30 said:

    Hello to all cycling friends,
    I'm looking for a used bike (MTB preferred) in Melbourne. Perhaps I
    should mention, that I'm a german student, who will work in Melbourne
    for half a year, so if you know any good addresses of shops or could
    give me some hints for local newspapers or magazines which offer ads for
    used bikes or something like that, you would help me a lot.
    I know I will miss my bike here at home as soon as I lift up from the
    ground next week to fly to Australia and I can't imagine not doing my
    daily ride for half a year. 😄
    Thanks to all in advance.
    Homer30

    You can also put a request on the websites with some of the mtb clubs
    around Melbourne such as:

    Geelong Mtb club (www.gmbc.com.au) Fat Tyre Flyers (www.ftf.com.au)

    Just specify how much you would be willing to spend and someone might be
    able to help you out.

    Cheers, Troy

    --

    Quoted message said:

    --------------------------<


    Posted via cyclingforums.com
    http://www.cyclingforums.com

  12. Thank you all for your help so far, and yes I'm sure I will need a
    good lock 😉

    Just one week and I will be in Melbourne... unbelievable, perhaps we
    will meet one day on the road.. who knows 😄

    cheers, Homer30

    --

    Quoted message said:

    --------------------------<


    Posted via cyclingforums.com
    http://www.cyclingforums.com

  13. Homer30 <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Thank you all for your help so far, and yes I'm sure I will need a
    good lock 😉

    Just one week and I will be in Melbourne... unbelievable, perhaps we
    will meet one day on the road.. who knows 😄

    Where are you now?
    ---
    DFM

  14. Deep Flayed Mar said:
    Quoted message said:

    Just one week and I will be in Melbourne... unbelievable, perhaps we
    will meet one day on the road.. who knows 😄


    Where are you now?
    ---
    DFM

    In a part of 'old europe' (by G.W.Bush) 🙂 , Germany, near Berlin in a
    very small town.

    cheers

    Homer30

    --

    Quoted message said:

    --------------------------<


    Posted via cyclingforums.com
    http://www.cyclingforums.com

  15. Homer30 <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Deep Flayed Mar said:
    Quoted message said:

    Just one week and I will be in Melbourne... unbelievable, perhaps we
    will meet one day on the road.. who knows 😄


    Where are you now?
    ---
    DFM

    In a part of 'old europe' (by G.W.Bush) 🙂 , Germany, near Berlin in a
    very small town.

    You'll be welcomed in Melbourne. Moreso than G.W. Bush I dare say!

    See ya soon! :o)
    ---
    DFM

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.