Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Any thoughts on bike shipping w/ airlines?

Started by Tcmedara · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,136 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
24 September 2003
Last activity
24 September 2003
Original author
Tcmedara
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,136
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm contemplating a trip to Moab next month to visit family and want to get some riding in while I'm
    there. Last time I was there I managed to find a decent bike to rent for the day, but couldn't find
    a decent ride equipped with anything but rapid-fire shifters. I don't intend to create a Shimano vs
    SRAM debate here -- suffice it to say I'm too old to change. I'd love to fly my much loved,
    SRAM-shifter equipped FS bike out with me, but I'm a little leary. I'm trying to evaluate the
    overall pain-in-the-ass factor as well as the potential for damage. Is it worth the hassle? Any
    advice and/or horror stories about shipping via airlines?

    My research via Google suggests it can be done, but there is very little of worth to help me figure
    out if its worth it.

    Thoughts?

  2. "tcmedara" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:P_5cb.12639$AH4.3498@lakeread06...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm contemplating a trip to Moab next month to visit family and want to


    get

    Quoted message said:

    some riding in while I'm there. Last time I was there I managed to find a decent bike to rent
    for the day, but couldn't find a decent ride equipped with anything but rapid-fire shifters. I
    don't intend to create a Shimano vs SRAM debate here -- suffice it to say I'm too old to change.
    I'd love


    to

    Quoted message said:

    fly my much loved, SRAM-shifter equipped FS bike out with me, but I'm a little leary. I'm trying
    to evaluate the overall pain-in-the-ass factor


    as

    Quoted message said:

    well as the potential for damage. Is it worth the hassle? Any advice and/or horror stories about
    shipping via airlines?

    My research via Google suggests it can be done, but there is very little


    of

    Quoted message said:

    worth to help me figure out if its worth it.

    I flew to Colorado in July and opted to ship my bike Fed Ex rather than lug it on the airline.

    Advantages: cost about $50 each way, about half the airline quote, and easier time getting around
    the airport (nothing to carry, nothing to inspect).

    Disadvantages: the added hassel of traveling to and from the Fed Ex office each end.

  3. "Doug Taylor" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    I flew to Colorado in July and opted to ship my bike Fed Ex rather than


    lug

    Quoted message said:

    it on the airline.

    Advantages: cost about $50 each way, about half the airline quote, and easier time getting around
    the airport (nothing to carry, nothing to inspect).

    Disadvantages: the added hassel of traveling to and from the Fed Ex office each end.


    FEDEX is looking like a viable option, especially since I've got someone who can take delivery of
    the machine at the opposite end. Now that I think of it, shipping is probably cheaper than renting
    for more than 2 days, plus I've got the advantage of having my own set of wheels -- ah yes, the
    wonderous fee exchange of ideas via USENET. Now I've just got to convince my wife that a) its not
    too much money and b) that I do understand that I'll be leaving for a vaction while she stays home
    with two kids -- and all this while the kids are on an extended break from school closures due to
    hurricane Isabel. Wish me luck.

  4. "tcmedara" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:P_5cb.12639$AH4.3498@lakeread06...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm contemplating a trip to Moab next month to visit family and want to


    get

    Quoted message said:

    some riding in while I'm there. Last time I was there I managed to find a decent bike to rent
    for the day, but couldn't find a decent ride equipped with anything but rapid-fire shifters. I
    don't intend to create a Shimano vs SRAM debate here -- suffice it to say I'm too old to change.
    I'd love


    to

    Quoted message said:

    fly my much loved, SRAM-shifter equipped FS bike out with me, but I'm a little leary. I'm trying
    to evaluate the overall pain-in-the-ass factor


    as

    Quoted message said:

    well as the potential for damage. Is it worth the hassle? Any advice and/or horror stories about
    shipping via airlines?

    My research via Google suggests it can be done, but there is very little


    of

    Quoted message said:

    worth to help me figure out if its worth it.

    Thoughts?

    If you're going to fly united (IIRC, and I probably don't, what with the concussion and all), then
    join NORBA. even if you don't race, its like $50, but you get two vouchers for bringing one bike one
    way on a plane. its $50 instead of like $150!!!

    Jon Bond

  5. "Jon Bond" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "tcmedara" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:P_5cb.12639$AH4.3498@lakeread06...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm contemplating a trip to Moab next month to visit family and want to


    get

    Quoted message said:

    some riding in while I'm there. Last time I was there I managed to find


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    decent bike to rent for the day, but couldn't find a decent ride


    equipped

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    with anything but rapid-fire shifters. I don't intend to create a


    Shimano

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    vs SRAM debate here -- suffice it to say I'm too old to change. I'd


    love

    Quoted message said:

    to

    Quoted message said:

    fly my much loved, SRAM-shifter equipped FS bike out with me, but I'm a little leary. I'm trying
    to evaluate the overall pain-in-the-ass factor


    as

    Quoted message said:

    well as the potential for damage. Is it worth the hassle? Any advice and/or horror stories about
    shipping via airlines?

    My research via Google suggests it can be done, but there is very little


    of

    Quoted message said:

    worth to help me figure out if its worth it.

    Thoughts?

    If you're going to fly united (IIRC, and I probably don't, what with the concussion and all), then
    join NORBA. even if you don't race, its like


    $50,

    Quoted message said:

    but you get two vouchers for bringing one bike one way on a plane. its


    $50

    Quoted message said:

    instead of like $150!!!

    Jon Bond


    Or you can join IMBA.

    imba.combikes fly free.html

  6. RE/

    Quoted message said:

    My research via Google suggests it can be done, but there is very little of worth to help me figure
    out if its worth it.

    Haven't gone anywhere with my Ellsworth yet, but I used to take my old StumpJumper hardtail
    everywhere I flew - not that I flew that many places...but Chicago, LA, Florida, Frankfurt....

    I had a case made out of industrial-strength cardboard by a guy that made cases for large
    instruments.

    No problems except for the PITA factor of dragging it through the airport. Oh yeah, there was that
    time in Frankfurt when the folks meeting me didn't get the message about the box and I had to wait
    several hours while they drove back and got a bigger car...

    With the hard cases I see available today (hinges, wheels...) I wouldn't think twice.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.