General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Another Sad Commentary on Why Kids are Fat

Started by jmcquown · · Last activity · 79 posts · 426 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
15 July 2007
Last activity
20 July 2007
Original author
jmcquown
Posts
79
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
426
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 79
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I was checking rates at a local motel that just reopened for when people
    come to visit. The woman in the office had a baby, about a year old, maybe
    a few months older, in one of those hanging bouncy-things. She told me the
    baby is just getting ready to walk. Then she commented she'd just fed the
    baby. I noticed one of those separated compartment "baby plates" sitting on
    a table. And she said brightly, as much for the baby's benefit as for mine,
    "We had french fries!" I also saw what appeared to be remnants of chicken
    nuggets on the plate.

    Good lord, the baby isn't even walking yet and she's being fed fries and
    chicken nuggets. If she can eat solid food, isn't now the time to introduce
    her to vegetables other than the fried variety? and chicken other than the
    nugget kind? Sheesh!

    And no, her mom wasn't overweight. It appeared they lived on site in one of
    the units so I doubt paying rent was an issue. Of course there are other
    types of financial issues, but still. I think fresh or even frozen veggies
    and careful shopping for real meat would soooo benefit that baby in the
    early stages of life! IMHO.

    Jill

  2. jmcquown said:

    I was checking rates at a local motel that just reopened for when people
    come to visit. The woman in the office had a baby, about a year old, maybe
    a few months older, in one of those hanging bouncy-things. She told me the
    baby is just getting ready to walk. Then she commented she'd just fed the
    baby. I noticed one of those separated compartment "baby plates" sitting on
    a table. And she said brightly, as much for the baby's benefit as for mine,
    "We had french fries!" I also saw what appeared to be remnants of chicken
    nuggets on the plate.

    You're checking rates on hotels by visiting them in person and
    rating their child-care habits?

    Damn. I hope I get another job soon. I'd put a contract out on
    myself before I get this bad.

    -sw

  3. jmcquown said...

    Quoted message said:

    Good lord, the baby isn't even walking yet and she's being fed fries and
    chicken nuggets. If she can eat solid food, isn't now the time to
    introduce her to vegetables other than the fried variety? and chicken
    other than the nugget kind? Sheesh!

    Jill,

    Yeah, how sad is THAT! 🙁

    The BUM!!!

    Andy

  4. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I was checking rates at a local motel that just reopened for when people
    come to visit. The woman in the office had a baby, about a year old,
    maybe
    a few months older, in one of those hanging bouncy-things. She told me
    the
    baby is just getting ready to walk. Then she commented she'd just fed the
    baby. I noticed one of those separated compartment "baby plates" sitting
    on
    a table. And she said brightly, as much for the baby's benefit as for
    mine,
    "We had french fries!" I also saw what appeared to be remnants of chicken
    nuggets on the plate.

    Good lord, the baby isn't even walking yet and she's being fed fries and
    chicken nuggets. If she can eat solid food, isn't now the time to
    introduce
    her to vegetables other than the fried variety? and chicken other than the
    nugget kind? Sheesh!

    And no, her mom wasn't overweight. It appeared they lived on site in one
    of
    the units so I doubt paying rent was an issue. Of course there are other
    types of financial issues, but still. I think fresh or even frozen
    veggies
    and careful shopping for real meat would soooo benefit that baby in the
    early stages of life! IMHO.

    Jill

    Get some rest, Jill. You must be exhausted from jumping to all those
    conclusions.

  5. "Paco's Tacos" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Good lord, the baby isn't even walking yet and she's being fed fries and
    chicken nuggets. If she can eat solid food, isn't now the time to
    introduce
    her to vegetables other than the fried variety? and chicken other than
    the
    nugget kind? Sheesh!

    Quoted message said:


    Get some rest, Jill. You must be exhausted from jumping to all those
    conclusions.

    She may be, but OTOH, I've seen plenty of parents use chicken nuggets and
    fries to keep the kids quiet and fed. They don't consider it a treat, but a
    regular diet.

  6. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "We had french fries!" I also saw what appeared to be remnants of chicken
    nuggets on the plate.

    Good lord, the baby isn't even walking yet and she's being fed fries and
    chicken nuggets. If she can eat solid food, isn't now the time to
    introduce
    her to vegetables other than the fried variety? and chicken other than the
    nugget kind? Sheesh!
    Jill

    French fries are easy to eat for babies that don't have teeth yet. They're
    not stringy or crunchy or gaggy for babies. They're perfect finger food,
    easy for little hands to pick up and put in their mouth. I'll bet she also
    feeds the kid Cheerios.

    Of course anybody that's ever actually fed a kid would know that.

    Ms P

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Edwin Pawlowski said:

    "Paco's Tacos" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Good lord, the baby isn't even walking yet and she's being fed fries and
    chicken nuggets. If she can eat solid food, isn't now the time to
    introduce
    her to vegetables other than the fried variety? and chicken other than
    the
    nugget kind? Sheesh!

    Quoted message said:


    Get some rest, Jill. You must be exhausted from jumping to all those
    conclusions.

    She may be, but OTOH, I've seen plenty of parents use chicken nuggets and
    fries to keep the kids quiet and fed. They don't consider it a treat, but a
    regular diet.

    Just last night, I went out to dinner with a group of close friends; all
    in the same family. It was a birthday dinner (not mine). An 8 year old
    boy was with us. I have known this kid since he was three days old. This
    child eats only four things: grilled cheese, french fries, cake, and
    chocolate. I am not kidding. No soup of any kind, no pasta, no
    hamburgers, no cheese. I think he can be coaxed to eat vanilla ice cream
    though. I have dined out with this boy and his parents many times and
    eaten over their house. We had a birthday cake back at the boy's
    parents' house last night after dinner and this child didn't have a
    single morsel of it.

    His mom could stand to lose of few pounds. His dad is huge, but he has
    started to lose weight through exercise and changes in his diet. This
    kid is at a healthy weight and his energy seems boundless. He gets his
    fussiness from his grandma on his mother's side, who was with us last
    night. His folks don't make a fuss and if the boy can't find grilled
    cheese and french fries on the menu when we dine out, he will quietly
    sit and watch the rest of us eat, but he will have nothing. Even when he
    does eat, its just a few bites and that's it. This kid truly has no
    interest in food, but has lots of other interests, such as jumping
    around and burning calories on his trampoline with his brother. His
    older brother is the opposite; he will try almost anything, but he's
    also not a big eater; he'll have a few bites of something, then he's
    done.

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    jmcquown said:

    I was checking rates at a local motel that just reopened for when people
    come to visit. The woman in the office had a baby, about a year old, maybe
    a few months older, in one of those hanging bouncy-things. She told me the
    baby is just getting ready to walk. Then she commented she'd just fed the
    baby. I noticed one of those separated compartment "baby plates" sitting on
    a table. And she said brightly, as much for the baby's benefit as for mine,
    "We had french fries!" I also saw what appeared to be remnants of chicken
    nuggets on the plate.

    Jill, why bother checking out hotel rates in person? Online works much
    better ... http://www.expedia.com for finding good deals on hotels, and
    http://www.tripadvisor.com is good too.

  9. jmcquown said:

    I was checking rates at a local motel that just reopened for when people
    come to visit. The woman in the office had a baby, about a year old, maybe
    a few months older, in one of those hanging bouncy-things. She told me the
    baby is just getting ready to walk. Then she commented she'd just fed the
    baby. I noticed one of those separated compartment "baby plates" sitting on
    a table. And she said brightly, as much for the baby's benefit as for mine,
    "We had french fries!" I also saw what appeared to be remnants of chicken
    nuggets on the plate.

    Good lord, the baby isn't even walking yet and she's being fed fries and
    chicken nuggets. If she can eat solid food, isn't now the time to introduce
    her to vegetables other than the fried variety? and chicken other than the
    nugget kind? Sheesh!

    And no, her mom wasn't overweight. It appeared they lived on site in one of
    the units so I doubt paying rent was an issue. Of course there are other
    types of financial issues, but still. I think fresh or even frozen veggies
    and careful shopping for real meat would soooo benefit that baby in the
    early stages of life! IMHO.

    Jill

    heh. My kid wouldn't touch fries and most other junk food until she
    was
    5 or 6. At one, they'll eat anything they can get their hands around
    and
    into their mouths.

    It may have been a treat, or somthing that the mother could give the
    kid
    that wouldn't get all over the place while they were in the front.

    I admit I'd cringe too, but it's her pediatrician's job to advise
    diet, not yours
    or mine.

    maxine in ri

  10. "Ms P" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    French fries are easy to eat for babies that don't have teeth yet.
    They're not stringy or crunchy or gaggy for babies. They're perfect
    finger food, easy for little hands to pick up and put in their mouth.
    I'll bet she also feeds the kid Cheerios.

    Perfect? Should a 1 or 2 year old consume all that salt? Oil they were
    fried in?

    Agree in the Cheerios.

  11. Stan Horwitz said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    jmcquown said:

    I was checking rates at a local motel that just reopened for when
    people come to visit.

    Jill, why bother checking out hotel rates in person? Online works much
    better ... http://www.expedia.com for finding good deals on hotels,
    and http://www.tripadvisor.com is good too.

    This place just reopened and it's not part of a chain. They aren't online.
    I usually use the ones above and some of the other services when checking
    for out of town or known hotel rates 🙂

    Jill

  12. maxine in ri said:
    jmcquown said:

    Good lord, the baby isn't even walking yet and she's being fed fries
    and chicken nuggets. If she can eat solid food, isn't now the time
    to introduce her to vegetables other than the fried variety? and
    chicken other than the nugget kind? Sheesh!

    Jill

    heh. My kid wouldn't touch fries and most other junk food until she
    was
    5 or 6. At one, they'll eat anything they can get their hands around
    and
    into their mouths.

    It may have been a treat, or somthing that the mother could give the
    kid
    that wouldn't get all over the place while they were in the front.

    I admit I'd cringe too, but it's her pediatrician's job to advise
    diet, not yours
    or mine.

    maxine in ri

    Obviously I didn't say anything to the woman. But as has often been
    discussed here I'm pretty sure this is a regular diet for this baby.

  13. "Steve Wertz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    jmcquown said:

    I was checking rates at a local motel that just reopened for when people
    come to visit. The woman in the office had a baby, about a year old,
    maybe
    a few months older, in one of those hanging bouncy-things. She told me
    the
    baby is just getting ready to walk. Then she commented she'd just fed
    the
    baby. I noticed one of those separated compartment "baby plates" sitting
    on
    a table. And she said brightly, as much for the baby's benefit as for
    mine,
    "We had french fries!" I also saw what appeared to be remnants of
    chicken
    nuggets on the plate.

    You're checking rates on hotels by visiting them in person and
    rating their child-care habits?

    Damn. I hope I get another job soon. I'd put a contract out on
    myself before I get this bad.

    Steve, please, if you didn't reply I would never see posts from this idiot.

  14. "Andy" <q> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    jmcquown said...

    Quoted message said:

    Good lord, the baby isn't even walking yet and she's being fed fries and
    chicken nuggets. If she can eat solid food, isn't now the time to
    introduce her to vegetables other than the fried variety? and chicken
    other than the nugget kind? Sheesh!

    Jill,

    Yeah, how sad is THAT! 🙁

    The BUM!!!

    And Jill, as usual, is the most enthusiastic, albeit childless critic of
    child care every.

  15. jmcquown said:

    Obviously I didn't say anything to the woman. But as has often been
    discussed here I'm pretty sure this is a regular diet for this baby.

    What burns me it to see a FAT woman feeding her kids to make them fat
    so she doesn't look out of place.

    "Oh gee....we have a genetic glandular problem".........make me
    believe that one fatso....the gland is saliva.

    And seeing a fat woman with a shopping cart full of JUNK and then she
    has the nerve to pay with food stamps.

  16. "Ward Abbott" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    jmcquown said:

    Obviously I didn't say anything to the woman. But as has often been
    discussed here I'm pretty sure this is a regular diet for this baby.

    What burns me it to see a FAT woman feeding her kids to make them fat
    so she doesn't look out of place.

    Big on ASSumptions, are we, Wade?

  17. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I was checking rates at a local motel that just reopened for when people
    come to visit. The woman in the office had a baby, about a year old,
    maybe
    a few months older, in one of those hanging bouncy-things. She told me
    the
    baby is just getting ready to walk. Then she commented she'd just fed the
    baby. I noticed one of those separated compartment "baby plates" sitting
    on
    a table. And she said brightly, as much for the baby's benefit as for
    mine,
    "We had french fries!" I also saw what appeared to be remnants of chicken
    nuggets on the plate.

    Good lord, the baby isn't even walking yet and she's being fed fries and
    chicken nuggets. If she can eat solid food, isn't now the time to
    introduce
    her to vegetables other than the fried variety? and chicken other than the
    nugget kind? Sheesh!

    And no, her mom wasn't overweight. It appeared they lived on site in one
    of
    the units so I doubt paying rent was an issue. Of course there are other
    types of financial issues, but still. I think fresh or even frozen
    veggies
    and careful shopping for real meat would soooo benefit that baby in the
    early stages of life! IMHO.

    Jill

    This thread reminded me of a recent pic of Christie Brinkley's 8 year old
    daughter. Poor thing, must be tough having a mom that looks like that.

    http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/famecrawler/archive/2007/07/06/christie-brinkley-s-daughter-makes-birthday-doll-eats-a-lot-of-cake.aspx

    Elisa

  18. "Elisa" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    This thread reminded me of a recent pic of Christie Brinkley's 8 year old
    daughter. Poor thing, must be tough having a mom that looks like that.

    http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/famecrawler/archive/2007/07/06/christie-brinkley-s-daughter-makes-birthday-doll-eats-a-lot-of-cake.aspx

    Elisa

    What a cruel forward. If you had a chubby 8-year-old girl would you want HER
    picture passed around the internet for people to make fun of?

    Felice

  19. On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 08:22:26 -0400, Stan Horwitz <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    This
    kid is at a healthy weight and his energy seems boundless. He gets his
    fussiness from his grandma on his mother's side, who was with us last
    night. His folks don't make a fuss and if the boy can't find grilled
    cheese and french fries on the menu when we dine out, he will quietly
    sit and watch the rest of us eat, but he will have nothing. Even when he
    does eat, its just a few bites and that's it. This kid truly has no
    interest in food, but has lots of other interests, such as jumping
    around and burning calories on his trampoline with his brother. His
    older brother is the opposite; he will try almost anything, but he's
    also not a big eater; he'll have a few bites of something, then he's
    done.

    Sounds like my grandson (who just turned 6). He sees the Dr.
    regularly and the doctor knows how picky he is. He is healthy, happy
    and has almost too much energy to burn. His eating has improved -
    especially last year. It used to be only white foods: chicken
    *nuggets*, tater tots/ff, rice, naked pasta with a little butter. He
    still likes chicken nuggets, but he eats more varied meats now,
    broccoli is his main vegetable (with soy as a dipper) and he will eat
    a raw carrot on occasion, plain rice, pasta with cheese on it, but he
    doesn't seem to like potatoes in any form now. Yet, take him out for
    sushi and he'll choose things you'd never expect such a picky eater to
    go for. Oh, yes... pizza. He loves that too. He can put away almost
    an entire small pepperoni pizza at our favorite pizza joint. One good
    thing is he absolutely loves fruit... grapes, strawberries and oranges
    are his favorites.

    --

    A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.

  20. On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 13:57:23 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "Ms P" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    French fries are easy to eat for babies that don't have teeth yet.
    They're not stringy or crunchy or gaggy for babies. They're perfect
    finger food, easy for little hands to pick up and put in their mouth.
    I'll bet she also feeds the kid Cheerios.

    Perfect? Should a 1 or 2 year old consume all that salt? Oil they were
    fried in?

    Agree in the Cheerios.


    1. maybe they were oven fried
    2. they don't need to be salted

    --

    A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.