Road Cycling · Public discussion

And I'm not fond with wind either

Started by dgk · · Last activity · 7 posts · 363 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
14 December 2004
Last activity
14 December 2004
Original author
dgk
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
363
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. It was pretty chilly this morning, around 36F. But that wasn't much of
    a problem. The problem was that 15mph breeze heading due east, and I'm
    heading due west. I barely made 6mph up the 59th street bridge!

    I could tell it had no side component since the odd paper was blowing
    right at me. Should be ok going home though unless it shifts around.

    Tomorrow promises colder weather but less breezy.

  2. dgk said:


    It was pretty chilly this morning, around 36F. But that wasn't much of
    a problem. The problem was that 15mph breeze heading due east, and I'm
    heading due west. I barely made 6mph up the 59th street bridge!

    I could tell it had no side component since the odd paper was blowing
    right at me. Should be ok going home though unless it shifts around.

    Tomorrow promises colder weather but less breezy.

    Get a Davis WindScribe. You get an airspeed to root for, wind chill
    if you want. You can look at max and min as well. Much better than
    a speedometer in headwinds.

    http://www.celestaire.com/catalog/products/3806.html

    --
    Ron Hardin
    [email hidden]

    On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

  3. Ron Hardin wrote:
    || dgk wrote:
    |||
    ||| It was pretty chilly this morning, around 36F. But that wasn't much
    ||| of a problem. The problem was that 15mph breeze heading due east,
    ||| and I'm heading due west. I barely made 6mph up the 59th street
    ||| bridge!
    |||
    ||| I could tell it had no side component since the odd paper was
    ||| blowing right at me. Should be ok going home though unless it
    ||| shifts around.
    |||
    ||| Tomorrow promises colder weather but less breezy.
    ||
    || Get a Davis WindScribe. You get an airspeed to root for, wind chill
    || if you want. You can look at max and min as well. Much better than
    || a speedometer in headwinds.
    ||
    || http://www.celestaire.com/catalog/products/3806.html

    Interesting gadgit. For $15, I'd love to have it. For $80, no friggin way.

  4. Roger Zoul said:


    Ron Hardin wrote:
    || dgk wrote:
    |||
    ||| It was pretty chilly this morning, around 36F. But that wasn't much
    ||| of a problem. The problem was that 15mph breeze heading due east,
    ||| and I'm heading due west. I barely made 6mph up the 59th street
    ||| bridge!
    |||
    ||| I could tell it had no side component since the odd paper was
    ||| blowing right at me. Should be ok going home though unless it
    ||| shifts around.
    |||
    ||| Tomorrow promises colder weather but less breezy.
    ||
    || Get a Davis WindScribe. You get an airspeed to root for, wind chill
    || if you want. You can look at max and min as well. Much better than
    || a speedometer in headwinds.
    ||
    || http://www.celestaire.com/catalog/products/3806.html

    Interesting gadgit. For $15, I'd love to have it. For $80, no friggin way.

    I guess it's a matter of how much time you spend on a bike, too.

    Normally you can amuse yourself with an eTrex but winds require a special
    motivator to make them interesting.

    In headwinds, after all, what else are you doing? There you are, going slow
    and feeling oppressed for mile after mile. Watch the wind meter, and you're
    setting new speed records. Deservedly so, too. Flip to the MAX display from
    time to time in case you were looking up at a record-setting gust. $80 turns
    your daily grind into an entertainment, and keeps on giving, day after day.

    In light winds, it's not so necessary but you do get to verify that you're
    registering your allotted 1/3 mph higher for the first mph of headwind, if
    you're of a theoretical mind. If you notice, gee, I seem to be going 2mph
    faster today, stop and verify that the wind when stopped is 6mph. Then all is well.
    You don't mind that you're going 4mph slower groundspeed. The math is holding
    firm.

    With a tailwind, of course, you don't need the motivator. The speed of rock and
    tree is enough. But life is not tailwinds.

    --
    Ron Hardin
    [email hidden]

    On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

  5. Ron Hardin wrote:
    ||||| http://www.celestaire.com/catalog/products/3806.html
    |||
    ||| Interesting gadgit. For $15, I'd love to have it. For $80, no
    ||| friggin way.
    ||
    || I guess it's a matter of how much time you spend on a bike, too.
    ||
    || Normally you can amuse yourself with an eTrex but winds require a
    || special
    || motivator to make them interesting.
    ||
    || In headwinds, after all, what else are you doing? There you are,
    || going slow
    || and feeling oppressed for mile after mile. Watch the wind meter,
    || and you're setting new speed records. Deservedly so, too. Flip to
    || the MAX display from
    || time to time in case you were looking up at a record-setting gust.
    || $80 turns
    || your daily grind into an entertainment, and keeps on giving, day
    || after day.
    ||
    || In light winds, it's not so necessary but you do get to verify that
    || you're registering your allotted 1/3 mph higher for the first mph of
    || headwind, if
    || you're of a theoretical mind. If you notice, gee, I seem to be
    || going 2mph
    || faster today, stop and verify that the wind when stopped is 6mph.
    || Then all is well. You don't mind that you're going 4mph slower
    || groundspeed. The math is holding firm.
    ||
    || With a tailwind, of course, you don't need the motivator. The speed
    || of rock and tree is enough. But life is not tailwinds.

    I might have to killfile you just to make sure I have enough money to get
    gifts for others! 🙂

  6. dgk said:

    It was pretty chilly this morning, around 36F. But that wasn't much of
    a problem. The problem was that 15mph breeze heading due east, and I'm
    heading due west. I barely made 6mph up the 59th street bridge!

    I could tell it had no side component since the odd paper was blowing
    right at me. Should be ok going home though unless it shifts around.

    What do you mean, "unless"? 🙂

    Bill "headwinds in all directions" S.

  7. Roger Zoul said:

    Ron Hardin wrote:
    || dgk wrote:
    |||
    ||| It was pretty chilly this morning, around 36F. But that wasn't much
    ||| of a problem. The problem was that 15mph breeze heading due east,
    ||| and I'm heading due west. I barely made 6mph up the 59th street
    ||| bridge!
    |||
    ||| I could tell it had no side component since the odd paper was
    ||| blowing right at me. Should be ok going home though unless it
    ||| shifts around.
    |||
    ||| Tomorrow promises colder weather but less breezy.
    ||
    || Get a Davis WindScribe. You get an airspeed to root for, wind chill
    || if you want. You can look at max and min as well. Much better than
    || a speedometer in headwinds.
    ||
    || http://www.celestaire.com/catalog/products/3806.html

    Interesting gadgit. For $15, I'd love to have it. For $80, no friggin way.

    Ah, but the Kestrel 1000 is only $70. Still, a bit steep. Plus, with
    my hands in gloves inside gloves, I don't think I can hold this. I
    think I need longer handlebars.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.