Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Am I in "Clydesdale" territory?

Started by Doug Herr · · Last activity · 23 posts · 1,065 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
22 December 2005
Last activity
24 December 2005
Original author
Doug Herr
Posts
23
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,065
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 23
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Howdy good folk.

    The wife decided to get a bike recently. Got a Giant Sedona DX.

    I had not done much with my 10 or 15 year old fully rigid in years, but
    this lead me to get a Giant Rincon. We will do mostly flat trails
    together, but I will do some hills when I ride alone.

    I have been reading what my news server has of this group and am up to
    about a year ago, but just had to ask this one question since I know that
    I need to get a bit more exorcise to balance out my high calorie (and high
    beer) diet.

    At 5'10" and 190lb, would I qualify as a Clydesdale?

    --
    Doug Herr
    doug*at*wombatz*dot*com

  2. Doug Herr said:

    Howdy good folk.

    The wife decided to get a bike recently. Got a Giant Sedona DX.

    I had not done much with my 10 or 15 year old fully rigid in years, but
    this lead me to get a Giant Rincon. We will do mostly flat trails
    together, but I will do some hills when I ride alone.

    I have been reading what my news server has of this group and am up to
    about a year ago, but just had to ask this one question since I know that
    I need to get a bit more exorcise to balance out my high calorie (and high
    beer) diet.

    At 5'10" and 190lb, would I qualify as a Clydesdale?

    --
    Doug Herr
    doug*at*wombatz*dot*com

    Maybe if you shrink a few inches.
    You've got potential, but I'd throw you back.
    /s
    6'2, 215lbs and rising...

  3. Doug Herr said:

    Howdy good folk.

    Who came in?

    Quoted message said:

    At 5'10" and 190lb, would I qualify as a Clydesdale?

    No.

    JD

  4. Doug Herr said:

    Howdy good folk.

    The wife decided to get a bike recently. Got a Giant Sedona DX.

    I had not done much with my 10 or 15 year old fully rigid in years,
    but this lead me to get a Giant Rincon. We will do mostly flat trails
    together, but I will do some hills when I ride alone.

    I have been reading what my news server has of this group and am up to
    about a year ago, but just had to ask this one question since I know
    that I need to get a bit more exorcise to balance out my high calorie
    (and high beer) diet.

    At 5'10" and 190lb, would I qualify as a Clydesdale?

    Nah, just a tad thick. Ride a bunch, and you'll lose 10+ pounds pretty
    fast.

    Bill "oh yeah, have FUN too" S.

  5. Scott Gordo said:
    Doug Herr said:

    Howdy good folk.

    The wife decided to get a bike recently. Got a Giant Sedona DX.

    I had not done much with my 10 or 15 year old fully rigid in years, but
    this lead me to get a Giant Rincon. We will do mostly flat trails
    together, but I will do some hills when I ride alone.

    I have been reading what my news server has of this group and am up to
    about a year ago, but just had to ask this one question since I know that
    I need to get a bit more exorcise to balance out my high calorie (and high
    beer) diet.

    At 5'10" and 190lb, would I qualify as a Clydesdale?

    --
    Doug Herr
    doug*at*wombatz*dot*com

    Maybe if you shrink a few inches.

    Hey that's me!
    More like a overfed quarter horse.
    :-)

    Shawn

  6. "Bill Sornson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Doug Herr said:

    Howdy good folk.

    The wife decided to get a bike recently. Got a Giant Sedona DX.

    I had not done much with my 10 or 15 year old fully rigid in years,
    but this lead me to get a Giant Rincon. We will do mostly flat trails
    together, but I will do some hills when I ride alone.

    I have been reading what my news server has of this group and am up to
    about a year ago, but just had to ask this one question since I know
    that I need to get a bit more exorcise to balance out my high calorie
    (and high beer) diet.

    At 5'10" and 190lb, would I qualify as a Clydesdale?

    Nah, just a tad thick. Ride a bunch, and you'll lose 10+ pounds pretty
    fast.

    Bill "oh yeah, have FUN too" S.


    That's what I thought but I've actually put on weight. 5'9" 200 lbs now.

    Gary (thunder thighs) W.

  7. Your no Heavy Horse.

  8. GeeDubb said:


    "Bill Sornson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Doug Herr said:

    Howdy good folk.

    The wife decided to get a bike recently. Got a Giant Sedona DX.

    I had not done much with my 10 or 15 year old fully rigid in years,
    but this lead me to get a Giant Rincon. We will do mostly flat trails
    together, but I will do some hills when I ride alone.

    I have been reading what my news server has of this group and am up to
    about a year ago, but just had to ask this one question since I know
    that I need to get a bit more exorcise to balance out my high calorie
    (and high beer) diet.

    At 5'10" and 190lb, would I qualify as a Clydesdale?

    Nah, just a tad thick. Ride a bunch, and you'll lose 10+ pounds
    pretty fast.

    Bill "oh yeah, have FUN too" S.


    That's what I thought but I've actually put on weight. 5'9" 200 lbs now.

    Gary (thunder thighs) W.

    Oh good...I don't feel so bad now at 6' 0" and 235 lbs.

    Psycho Mike

  9. Doug Herr said:

    At 5'10" and 190lb, would I qualify as a Clydesdale?

    It always depends on your BF %age. I'm 5'10" and 195, but I don't think
    I qualify as a Clydesdale. Just a bike rider who has a harder time
    hauling that extra muscle mass up a mountain.

    --
    --
    Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall

    Conservative dictionary:
    Judicial Activist: n. A judge who tends to rule against your wishes.

  10. GeeDubb said:

    That's what I thought but I've actually put on weight. 5'9" 200 lbs now.

    Gary (thunder thighs) W.

    Whenever I work out regularly, my weight tends to increase too. Here I
    am a lover of endurance activities, with a body that likes to build muscle.

    --
    --
    Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall

    Conservative dictionary:
    Judicial Activist: n. A judge who tends to rule against your wishes.

  11. "Michael Halliwell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:CSJqf.52738$2k.18641@pd7tw1no...

    Quoted message said:
    GeeDubb said:


    "Bill Sornson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Doug Herr wrote:

    > Howdy good folk.
    >
    > The wife decided to get a bike recently. Got a Giant Sedona DX.
    >
    > I had not done much with my 10 or 15 year old fully rigid in years,
    > but this lead me to get a Giant Rincon. We will do mostly flat trails
    > together, but I will do some hills when I ride alone.
    >
    > I have been reading what my news server has of this group and am up to
    > about a year ago, but just had to ask this one question since I know
    > that I need to get a bit more exorcise to balance out my high calorie
    > (and high beer) diet.
    >
    > At 5'10" and 190lb, would I qualify as a Clydesdale?

    Nah, just a tad thick. Ride a bunch, and you'll lose 10+ pounds pretty
    fast.

    Bill "oh yeah, have FUN too" S.


    That's what I thought but I've actually put on weight. 5'9" 200 lbs now.

    Gary (thunder thighs) W.

    Oh good...I don't feel so bad now at 6' 0" and 235 lbs.

    Oy... 5'5", 135lbs here... at least nobody can tell me to lose weight.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  12. Phil said:

    "Michael Halliwell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Oh good...I don't feel so bad now at 6' 0" and 235 lbs.

    Oy... 5'5", 135lbs here... at least nobody can tell me to lose weight.


    Oh I dunno. When I was road racing I was 5'8" 140-145 lbs and *knew* I
    should be 10 lbs or so lighter to climb with the big boys. :-)

    Shawn

  13. Michael Halliwell said:
    GeeDubb said:


    "Bill Sornson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Doug Herr wrote:

    > Howdy good folk.
    >
    > The wife decided to get a bike recently. Got a Giant Sedona DX.
    >
    > I had not done much with my 10 or 15 year old fully rigid in years,
    > but this lead me to get a Giant Rincon. We will do mostly flat trails
    > together, but I will do some hills when I ride alone.
    >
    > I have been reading what my news server has of this group and am up to
    > about a year ago, but just had to ask this one question since I know
    > that I need to get a bit more exorcise to balance out my high calorie
    > (and high beer) diet.
    >
    > At 5'10" and 190lb, would I qualify as a Clydesdale?

    Nah, just a tad thick. Ride a bunch, and you'll lose 10+ pounds
    pretty fast.

    Bill "oh yeah, have FUN too" S.


    That's what I thought but I've actually put on weight. 5'9" 200 lbs now.

    Gary (thunder thighs) W.

    Oh good...I don't feel so bad now at 6' 0" and 235 lbs.

    Psycho Mike

    Y'all are sissies!
    _____
    Slack 5'5" and just blew past 200 :-(

  14. ""Slack\"@" <"Slack\"@½³.org"> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Michael Halliwell said:
    GeeDubb said:


    "Bill Sornson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    > Doug Herr wrote:
    >
    >> Howdy good folk.
    >>
    >> The wife decided to get a bike recently. Got a Giant Sedona DX.
    >>
    >> I had not done much with my 10 or 15 year old fully rigid in years,
    >> but this lead me to get a Giant Rincon. We will do mostly flat trails
    >> together, but I will do some hills when I ride alone.
    >>
    >> I have been reading what my news server has of this group and am up to
    >> about a year ago, but just had to ask this one question since I know
    >> that I need to get a bit more exorcise to balance out my high calorie
    >> (and high beer) diet.
    >>
    >> At 5'10" and 190lb, would I qualify as a Clydesdale?
    >
    >
    >
    > Nah, just a tad thick. Ride a bunch, and you'll lose 10+ pounds pretty
    > fast.
    >
    > Bill "oh yeah, have FUN too" S.
    >
    That's what I thought but I've actually put on weight. 5'9" 200 lbs
    now.

    Gary (thunder thighs) W.

    Oh good...I don't feel so bad now at 6' 0" and 235 lbs.

    Psycho Mike

    Y'all are sissies!
    _____
    Slack 5'5" and just blew past 200 :-(

    Chairlift-only territory?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  15. Slack'@ 'Slack'@½³.org said:

    Slack 5'5" and just blew past 200 :-(

    Dude, you're in trouble. That's a dangerous place to be, health wise.
    I know, I was very close to that. You need to curb your addiction to
    food and get on the bike before serious complications set in like
    Diabetes or heart trouble. You are nearing the obese range for your height.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  16. Raptor said:
    Doug Herr said:

    At 5'10" and 190lb, would I qualify as a Clydesdale?

    It always depends on your BF %age. I'm 5'10" and 195, but I don't think I
    qualify as a Clydesdale. Just a bike rider who has a harder time hauling
    that extra muscle mass up a mountain.

    Yup, about as I expected. Thanks to all for the replies. Will head back
    to the top of my list of un-read posts. If the biking bug does get me
    then I am sure I will have a few more questions, but I am mostly the
    lurker type.

    --
    Doug Herr
    doug*at*wombatz*dot*com

  17. Phil said:

    ""Slack\"@" <"Slack\"@½³.org"> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Michael Halliwell said:

    GeeDubb wrote:

    >
    > "Bill Sornson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > news:[email hidden]...
    >
    >> Doug Herr wrote:
    >>
    >>> Howdy good folk.
    >>>
    >>> The wife decided to get a bike recently. Got a Giant Sedona DX.
    >>>
    >>> I had not done much with my 10 or 15 year old fully rigid in
    >>> years, but this lead me to get a Giant Rincon. We will do
    >>> mostly flat trails together, but I will do some hills when I
    >>> ride alone. I have been reading what my news server has of this group
    >>> and am
    >>> up to about a year ago, but just had to ask this one question
    >>> since I know that I need to get a bit more exorcise to balance
    >>> out my high calorie (and high beer) diet.
    >>>
    >>> At 5'10" and 190lb, would I qualify as a Clydesdale?
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Nah, just a tad thick. Ride a bunch, and you'll lose 10+ pounds
    >> pretty fast.
    >>
    >> Bill "oh yeah, have FUN too" S.
    >>
    > That's what I thought but I've actually put on weight. 5'9" 200
    > lbs now.
    >
    > Gary (thunder thighs) W.

    Oh good...I don't feel so bad now at 6' 0" and 235 lbs.

    Psycho Mike

    Y'all are sissies!
    _____
    Slack 5'5" and just blew past 200 :-(

    Chairlift-only territory?

    I thought Slack sold the beast and got himself a pedaling machine. The
    question is then, why isn't he riding it?

    ~p.

  18. Shawn said:
    Phil said:

    "Michael Halliwell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Oh good...I don't feel so bad now at 6' 0" and 235 lbs.

    Oy... 5'5", 135lbs here... at least nobody can tell me to lose weight.


    Oh I dunno. When I was road racing I was 5'8" 140-145 lbs and *knew* I
    should be 10 lbs or so lighter to climb with the big boys. :-)

    I went from 6'2" and 160 lbs when I could climb with the big boys to
    6'2" and 235 lbs when I was a beer drinking night owl to my current 6'1"
    and 220 lbs struggling to get down to 195 and gain that inch of height back.

    Greg
    --
    "Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late
    The battles we fought were long and hard
    Just not to be consumed by rock and roll" - The Mekons

  19. small change said:

    I thought Slack sold the beast and got himself a pedaling machine. The
    question is then, why isn't he riding it?

    He's been too busy with his camera and taking photos of the big waves at
    the beach:

    <http://groups.google.com/group/rec.photo.digital.slr-systems/browse_thread/thread/573c2bab351da504/51ba2fcb771cd800?q=slack+insubject%3Athank&hl=en&>

    Greg
    --
    "Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late
    The battles we fought were long and hard
    Just not to be consumed by rock and roll" - The Mekons

  20. Ride-A-Lot said:
    Slack'@ 'Slack'@½³.org said:

    Slack 5'5" and just blew past 200 :-(

    Dude, you're in trouble. That's a dangerous place to be, health wise. I
    know, I was very close to that. You need to curb your addiction to food
    and get on the bike before serious complications set in like Diabetes or
    heart trouble. You are nearing the obese range for your height.

    Yeah, I know. I'm monitoring both and just tested. And my blood
    pressure is good... I have a home tester because my lame doctor thought
    I had HBP.

    HbA1c: 6.1%
    HDL: 56
    LDL: 168
    Tri: 136

    I have get get my ass on the treadmill everyday, after work. Waiting for
    the weekend doesn't cut it anymore... my metabolism is just too slow.
    _____
    Slack

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.