Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Aero-ish wheelset to mess around on ...

Started by 3_days · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,624 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
6 August 2005
Last activity
22 August 2005
Original author
3_days
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,624
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've been runnin' searches and reading the wheel threads to try and figure out what the heck I'm lookin' for ...

    Basically, I want a set of wheels to use inside on the trainer - or in case of a flat, to throw on quickly rather than change a tube, or maybe to use with puncture resistant tires (I mostly ride a 2 mile lap and could keep extra wheels close by).

    I don't want to spend a fortune - I have Gipiemme Tre's on a C-dale I ride and they seem decent enough. Should I back my Cervelo with another set of Gipiemme's, or what other wheels should I check out ...

    I'm pretty clueless when it comes to wheel spec's ...

  2. If you want cheap and aero, get a set of wheels built up with Velocity Deep V rims and Ultegra or comparable hubs. They'll be pretty aero, a little bit heavy, and absolutely bullet proof. Depening on who builds them, they should only set you back $350-400.

  3. 3_days said:

    I've been runnin' searches and reading the wheel threads to try and figure out what the heck I'm lookin' for ...

    Basically, I want a set of wheels to use inside on the trainer - or in case of a flat, to throw on quickly rather than change a tube, or maybe to use with puncture resistant tires (I mostly ride a 2 mile lap and could keep extra wheels close by).

    I don't want to spend a fortune - I have Gipiemme Tre's on a C-dale I ride and they seem decent enough. Should I back my Cervelo with another set of Gipiemme's, or what other wheels should I check out ...

    I'm pretty clueless when it comes to wheel spec's ...

    Hi,

    Supergo are selling their Korso wheelset at the moment for $149. That's hard to beat. I don't know how long the deal will last (they usually go for $199). While these are definitely "cheap and cheerful" wheels, the reviews for them are generally good.

    See roadbikereview.comPRD 174357 2490crx.aspx.

    They are the same as the Neuvation wheels, and as such are aero-ish and reasonably light (1770g for the pair).

    Cheers,
    J.

  4. 3_days said:

    I've been runnin' searches and reading the wheel threads to try and figure out what the heck I'm lookin' for ...

    Basically, I want a set of wheels to use inside on the trainer - or in case of a flat, to throw on quickly rather than change a tube, or maybe to use with puncture resistant tires (I mostly ride a 2 mile lap and could keep extra wheels close by).

    I don't want to spend a fortune - I have Gipiemme Tre's on a C-dale I ride and they seem decent enough. Should I back my Cervelo with another set of Gipiemme's, or what other wheels should I check out ...

    I'm pretty clueless when it comes to wheel spec's ...


    Are your looking for tires or a wheelset? Here is a great value on a very aero wheelset... free shipping too!

    cadencecycle.compd velomax.cfm

  5. artmichalek said:

    If you want cheap and aero, get a set of wheels built up with Velocity Deep V rims and Ultegra or comparable hubs. They'll be pretty aero, a little bit heavy, and absolutely bullet proof. Depening on who builds them, they should only set you back $350-400.


    Great recommendation. I'd like to have a set of those myself. Don't know if any wheel is "bullet-proof" , but if you can find a top-notch wheel builder, they ought to last a very long time.

    Another option is the Velomax/Easton Circuits. They have a 28mm "semi-aero" rim, are fairly light at 1650 gms, and can be found at a decent price.

    I'm running a pair now, and they're still tight and true at 7500 miles...no tweaking required. The cartridge-bearings in the hubs aren't holding up like a sealed Ultegra hub, but they are easy to replace.

  6. dhk said:

    Great recommendation. I'd like to have a set of those myself. Don't know if any wheel is "bullet-proof" , but if you can find a top-notch wheel builder, they ought to last a very long time.


    Correction, "bullet resistant" :p And with the added benefit of being built out of readily replaceable parts.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.