Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Advice/Opinion/Experience: Deore XT, LX and Deore

Started by Onefred · · Last activity · 9 posts · 1,134 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
1 October 2003
Last activity
6 October 2003
Original author
Onefred
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,134
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Why does Shimano have the LX group? Deore seems as good as or superior to Deore LX.

    On bike.shimano.combike.shimano.com , the specs for the XT disc and Deore disc hubs are nearly the same. What
    am I missing here? Why pay more for the XT hubs?

    Thanks,

    Dave

  2. "onefred" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Why does Shimano have the LX group? Deore seems as good as or superior to


    Deore LX.

    Quoted message said:


    On bike.shimano.combike.shimano.com , the specs for the XT disc and Deore disc hubs


    are nearly the

    Quoted message said:

    same. What am I missing here? Why pay more for the XT hubs?

    Thanks,

    Dave

    A very good question. You can definitely save money with some parts by getting a lower level
    component without significantly affecting performance and durability. I can't comment directly on
    your specific question (too tired to look it up..) but there are obvious places to cut corners and
    pay less. Use your common sense and you'll be on the right track. Manufacturers do it all the time
    on new bike to hit a specific price point..some cheap parts are a good idea, some bad. I know a few
    years back, all Shimano cantilever brakes were practically identical except for the finish..why pay
    double for polished parts? Makes no sense to me, but some people like shiny parts.

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  3. Onefred-<< Why does Shimano have the LX group? Deore seems as good as or superior to Deore LX.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <BR><BR> << On bike.shimano.combike.shimano.com , the specs for the XT disc and Deore disc hubs are nearly


    the same. What am I missing here? Why pay more for the XT hubs? >><BR><BR>

    Loud Speaker blares at this poster from the street-

    "STAND UP, WALK AWAY FROM YOUR COMPUTER!! COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP!!

    YOU ARE IN VIOLATION OF SHIMANO'S THIRD LAW OF CYCLING"

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  4. Shiny parts do cost more. Lets make them black and charge the same or more. Remember Sante,
    Shimono's high priced, painted stuff? When the paint wore or flaked off it looked like s--t. 105
    anyone? Tom

    --
    Bruni Bicycles "Where art meets science" brunibicycles.com
    410.426.3420
    S. Anderson <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "onefred" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Why does Shimano have the LX group? Deore seems as good as or superior


    to

    Quoted message said:

    Deore LX.

    Quoted message said:


    On bike.shimano.combike.shimano.com , the specs for the XT disc and Deore disc


    hubs

    Quoted message said:

    are nearly the

    Quoted message said:

    same. What am I missing here? Why pay more for the XT hubs?

    Thanks,

    Dave

    A very good question. You can definitely save money with some parts by getting a lower level
    component without significantly affecting


    performance

    Quoted message said:

    and durability. I can't comment directly on your specific question (too tired to look it up..) but
    there are obvious places to cut corners and pay less. Use your common sense and you'll be on the
    right track. Manufacturers do it all the time on new bike to hit a specific price point..some
    cheap parts are a good idea, some bad. I know a few years


    back,

    Quoted message said:

    all Shimano cantilever brakes were practically identical except for the finish..why pay double for
    polished parts? Makes no sense to me, but some people like shiny parts.

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  5. "Bruni" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Shiny parts do cost more. Lets make them black and charge the same or more. Remember Sante,
    Shimono's high priced, painted stuff? When the paint wore or flaked off it looked like s--t.
    105 anyone?

    Yeah, that new, all-black 105 stuff really bugs me. Particularly the crank, which *will* look like
    [censored] in a year or so. I'm sure this is a ploy to get people to either buy a new bike in a couple of
    years, or to encourage them to go "up" a level, to get the shiny stuff that stays looking good. The
    typical 105 buyer is probably someone buying their first "nice" bike, so they don't have the
    experience to know this is what will happen.

    Really shiny, polished parts do cost more, but the kind of anodizing that's on 105, or
    typical painted finishes, take as much prep as the everyday silver-colored stuff we've been
    riding for years.

    BTW, anodized XTR with some miles on it looks like [censored] too. Some people like that though -- they
    think it makes them look hardcore.

    Matt O.

  6. "onefred" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Why does Shimano have the LX group? Deore seems as good as or superior to Deore LX.

    On bike.shimano.combike.shimano.com , the specs for the XT disc and Deore disc hubs are nearly the same.
    What am I missing here?

    Nothing. I think that the light is finally coming on...

    Quoted message said:

    Why pay more for the XT hubs?

    Why, indeed? LOL!

    I have Deore disk hubs on my MTB. They have never given me any problems, and seem about the same as
    the XT-hubbed wheels that I demoed. The price is the major difference, it seems, but if you are
    label-conscious, then the additional price really isn't all that bad.

    If you want to talk about high-end stuff for your MTB, you might want to think about Chris King or
    Hugi. High-priced, to be sure. But they have reputations for being bulletproof. You could buy quite
    a few hubsets on what it costs to buy those beauties, however...

    Spider

  7. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Why does Shimano have the LX group? Deore seems as good as or superior to Deore LX.

    On bike.shimano.combike.shimano.com , the specs for the XT disc and Deore disc hubs are nearly


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    same. What am I missing here?

    Nothing. I think that the light is finally coming on...

    Yes, I can see that proverbial light now. I also find it amazing that Shimano sell four upper-end
    MTB groups. I can understand how XT fits in as the cheaper-but-nearly-as-competitive-as-XTR group.
    Then Deore as the little bro for the more price conscious consumer that still wants high
    performance, but where does LX sit? IMO, I think Deore LX is going to see the same end as Deore DX
    and we'll be left with Deore, XT and XTR for the upper end bikes.

    Dave

  8. "onefred" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Why does Shimano have the LX group? Deore seems as good as or


    superior to Deore LX.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    On bike.shimano.combike.shimano.com , the specs for the XT disc and Deore disc


    hubs are nearly

    Quoted message said:

    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    same. What am I missing here?

    Nothing. I think that the light is finally coming on...

    Yes, I can see that proverbial light now. I also find it amazing that


    Shimano sell four

    Quoted message said:

    upper-end MTB groups. I can understand how XT fits in as the
    cheaper-but-nearly-as-competitive-as-XTR group. Then Deore as the little


    bro for the more

    Quoted message said:

    price conscious consumer that still wants high performance, but where does


    LX sit? IMO, I

    Quoted message said:

    think Deore LX is going to see the same end as Deore DX and we'll be left


    with Deore, XT

    Quoted message said:

    and XTR for the upper end bikes.

    Dave

    Well around here I see a lot more Deore and LX stuff than I do XT or XTR. But the bulk of German
    bicyclists tend to be more budget/utility oriented with bikes than competitive/high performance.

    Rob Strickland

  9. ask to see and play with, the police ssshhhhh! model.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.