General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Advice Needed: Running in the Rain

Started by Mike · · Last activity · 10 posts · 264 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
7 April 2006
Last activity
10 April 2006
Original author
Mike
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
264
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Getting ready to run a half marathon tomorrow morning and it appears that
    it will be about 50 degrees F and raining... Seeking advice on what type
    of socks (thick / thin), hat, etc that folks would recommend. TIA

    Mike

  2. Mike said:

    Getting ready to run a half marathon tomorrow morning and it appears that
    it will be about 50 degrees F and raining... Seeking advice on what type
    of socks (thick / thin), hat, etc that folks would recommend. TIA

    Smartwool.

    They have many different types of socks, get one of the thinner ones. RBX
    racer socks are OK. Liner socks, and anything with "light" in the name should
    work also.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  3. Mike said:

    Getting ready to run a half marathon tomorrow morning and it appears that
    it will be about 50 degrees F and raining... Seeking advice on what type
    of socks (thick / thin), hat, etc that folks would recommend. TIA

    Mike

    Naked

  4. Mike said:

    Getting ready to run a half marathon tomorrow morning and it appears that
    it will be about 50 degrees F and raining... Seeking advice on what type
    of socks (thick / thin), hat, etc that folks would recommend. TIA

    Mike

    Drop out now, and save yourself a lot of pain.

  5. i guess this goes without saying, but no cotton. even underware. wet
    cotton sticks to your skin and prevents proper movement. hopefully your
    shoes have no leather.

  6. Loin cloth, ala Ted Nugent circa 1977.

    Anything more is frivolous.

  7. Donovan Rebbechi said:
    Mike said:

    Getting ready to run a half marathon tomorrow morning and it appears
    that it will be about 50 degrees F and raining... Seeking advice on
    what type of socks (thick / thin), hat, etc that folks would
    recommend. TIA

    Smartwool.

    They have many different types of socks, get one of the thinner ones.
    RBX racer socks are OK. Liner socks, and anything with "light" in the
    name should work also.

    Agree on the SmartWool. Normally I wouldn't want to try anything new on
    race day, but for a half I'm not too worried. By the way, I noticed that
    Sierra Trading Post had some great deals on Smartwool RBX Racers at $3.96
    per pair. http://tinyurl.com/qkvuy

    --
    Phil

  8. I would never wear any kind of thin sox, because my shoes wouldn't fit.

    No, I can't get different size shoes to accomodate -- my feet aren't narrow
    enough for "narrow". I've tried a lot of different running shoes. The narrow
    ones crimp my toes. Many of the regular "medium" width don't have a good toe
    box with enough wiggle room i.e. they're too tight. Bigger size doesn't fix
    that design problem -- then the shoe is just too big all over.

    I tried thinner sox when my feet were growing, pending
    getting bigger shoes, but it wasn't really comfortable, there was still some
    sideways slippage which even super-tight (& uncomfortable) lacing didn't
    really overcome. I've tried all sorts of insoles & inserts. I still need
    thicker sox.

    I wear my regular (Thorlo) running sox. If I have doubts about how
    my feet will react (if it's *really* wet or for a long time) then I tape
    blister-prone spots.
    bj

    "Phil M." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Donovan Rebbechi said:
    Mike said:

    Getting ready to run a half marathon tomorrow morning and it appears
    that it will be about 50 degrees F and raining... Seeking advice on
    what type of socks (thick / thin), hat, etc that folks would
    recommend. TIA

    Smartwool.

    They have many different types of socks, get one of the thinner ones.
    RBX racer socks are OK. Liner socks, and anything with "light" in the
    name should work also.

    Agree on the SmartWool. Normally I wouldn't want to try anything new on
    race day, but for a half I'm not too worried. By the way, I noticed that
    Sierra Trading Post had some great deals on Smartwool RBX Racers at $3.96
    per pair. http://tinyurl.com/qkvuy

    --
    Phil

  9. bj said:

    I would never wear any kind of thin sox, because my shoes wouldn't fit.

    No, I can't get different size shoes to accomodate -- my feet aren't narrow
    enough for "narrow".

    Have you considered getting a narrow shoe, and then going up half a size ? That
    would solve your width issue.

    Quoted message said:

    I've tried a lot of different running shoes. The narrow
    ones crimp my toes. Many of the regular "medium" width don't have a good toe
    box with enough wiggle room i.e. they're too tight. Bigger size doesn't fix
    that design problem -- then the shoe is just too big all over.

    I'd say that if you depend on selecting thick socks to "make" your shoes fit,
    you've got a problem fitting your shoes. I'd suggest getting them fitted by
    someone who really knows what they're doing if you haven't tried that already.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  10. "Donovan Rebbechi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    bj said:

    I would never wear any kind of thin sox, because my shoes wouldn't fit.

    No, I can't get different size shoes to accomodate -- my feet aren't
    narrow enough for "narrow".

    Have you considered getting a narrow shoe, and then going up half a size ?
    That would solve your width issue.

    Quoted message said:

    I've tried a lot of different running shoes. The narrow ones crimp my
    toes. Many of the regular "medium" width don't have a good toe box with
    enough wiggle room i.e. they're too tight. Bigger size doesn't fix that
    design problem -- then the shoe is just too big all over.

    I'd say that if you depend on selecting thick socks to "make" your shoes
    fit, you've got a problem fitting your shoes. I'd suggest getting them
    fitted by someone who really knows what they're doing if you haven't tried
    that already.

    Yes, I have tried that.
    Narrower shoe, larger size -- doesn't work. OK, maybe there's one out there
    I haven't seen/haven't tried, but I have tried several. In different kinds
    of stores from "sports" to "running" to "company brand", etc. Had my feet
    measured. Tried shoes & run around the store in them (that was more than
    enough to find out that they won't work). It's about time to look for new
    shoes, so I'll be going through the whole dreary process again.

    Regular "athletic" weight sox -- not "extra thick, just not "thin" have been
    working just fine. I also use an insole insert to get things "just so".

    Years ago, I wore regular (non-athletic type) shoes in an "A" width, which
    would probably work for me now in running shoes too, but they no longer make
    that, at least not that I've seen (yes, I do look occasionally, even in
    "expensive shoe" stores, just to see). There's medium "B" and narrow "AA" &
    even sometimes slim "AAA" or more "A's". It's a real challenge to get
    dress-up shoes to both stay on my feet and not squeeze the bejeesus out of
    them. At least with running shoes sox are appropriate! Fortunately, when I
    needed to dress for a funeral it was coolish weather, so I could wear a
    pantsuit & found comfortable nearly-flat pumps that I could wear black
    athletic-weight sox with.
    bj

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.