I've been thinking about and building a lot of cyclocross bikes lately,
and I'm starting to muse about some minor design and component ideas
I've been contemplating.
In short, I suspect CX bikes could do well to adopt some ideas from
mountain bikes, but we'll need some road-spec MTB-inspired stuff to do
it.
-Cable Routing: I think there's all kinds of arguments against throwing
a CX bike's cables on the underside of the bike. basically, they get
muddy and they get kicked.
The ideal cable routing is sometimes used: top tube for all three
cables, with the rear der routing going down the seat stay, and the
front der cable dropping down the seat tube.
Of course, there's no top-swing STI-compatible fders, so one is left
with either playing around with a Campy pre-QS lever and a nice Shimano
MTB fder (may work, but the MTB shifter may not be ideal in terms of
shifting with a reasonably short shifter throw), or using a little
u-turn pulley just below the fder, so that the cable goes down and comes
back up again.
This works, but that (meaning "a cyclocross bike"😉 is a really messy
place to put a pulley.
So for Christmas I would like a road-compatible top-swing front derailer
from either Campy or Shimano. 105/Veloce spec is plenty; non-series
componentry is fine.
-Brakes: In theory, cantis are fine in this application. Maybe even
outright superior to V-brakes, since they can be adjusted for leverage
ratio and a wider pad-to-rim gap for mudapalooza.
Fine. But given that the UCI doesn't seem ready to back down from the
"no-disc" madness, and given that I never seem to be able to get my
cantis adjusted quite as nicely or easily as I would like, it's time to
give Vs a chance.
Tektro went and discontinued the 287V problem-solving lever, and as
mentioned before, I think pulleys are a second-best solution (even more
so on the dirt-exposed brake, and because part of the advantage of
V-brakes is the reduced force on the cable, which is negated by the
pulley.
So for Boxing Day I want a set of V-specific road levers.
SRAM: hey, new market here! Get it while it's hot.
Comments? Am I just spending too much time doing dirty things?
--
Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
"I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos