Road Cycling · Public discussion

A ride in December..NOT

Started by Maggie · · Last activity · 27 posts · 687 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
2 December 2004
Last activity
4 December 2004
Original author
Maggie
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
687
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Here in the deep suburbs of Joisey...we had what seemed to be a
    hurricane today. The wind was blowin' like a day out of Winnie the
    Poo's Blustery Day Book which I used to read to my little tykes long
    ago. I came home from work and decided I had to at least ride a
    little. BAD IDEA!!!!! How the heck do you ride when the wind is
    gusting? I know some of you ride through just about any type of
    weather, but I am not quite sure how you do it. Between the cold,
    rain and wind lately...I am not getting much riding time in. Is it
    really possible to ride all year long when you live in a state with
    WINTER!!!! After I made a fool of myself, a man passed by my house
    on his bike. I noticed it was a TREK. (I am becoming knowlegable.)
    He seemed to be handling the winds just fine. He was not being blown
    off the road as I had been. Is this just determination, strength or
    just experience? I did not have the strength to fight the winds. He
    was riding as if the wind was not blowing. Was it strength or
    experience? Maybe it was his expensive bike??? :-)
    I hung my head in shame and went into the basement to work out on
    Crazy Tony's Gazelle. At least I got some exercise.
    Maggie
    http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html
    http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/

  2. Maggie wrote:
    || Here in the deep suburbs of Joisey...we had what seemed to be a
    || hurricane today. The wind was blowin' like a day out of Winnie the

    [snip]

    Maggie -

    Do what you can and don't feel ashamed if you can't do what everyone else
    does. People have different levels of ability, common sense, stupidity, and
    tolerance for pain. Personally, I won't ride if it raining unless I just get
    caught out in it. I've been caught out in some strong winds, too, and that
    ain't fun. I would not willingly leave home if it is really windy outside.
    Why? Because, around here (lots of hills), for me, that ain't fun. And if
    it's cold AND raining AND windy - I'm staying inside to watch DVDs (TdF
    DVDs, maybe!).

  3. "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Maggie wrote:
    || Here in the deep suburbs of Joisey...we had what seemed to be a
    || hurricane today. The wind was blowin' like a day out of Winnie the

    [snip]

    Maggie -

    Do what you can and don't feel ashamed if you can't do what everyone else
    does. People have different levels of ability, common sense, stupidity,


    and

    Quoted message said:

    tolerance for pain. Personally, I won't ride if it raining unless I just


    get

    Quoted message said:

    caught out in it. I've been caught out in some strong winds, too, and


    that

    Quoted message said:

    ain't fun. I would not willingly leave home if it is really windy


    outside.

    Quoted message said:

    Why? Because, around here (lots of hills), for me, that ain't fun. And


    if

    Quoted message said:

    it's cold AND raining AND windy - I'm staying inside to watch DVDs (TdF
    DVDs, maybe!).

    Quoted message said:


    If Maggie's wind was anything like it was here near Philly, it was gusting
    up to 50 mph. My car was getting blown around. Spin bike for me today,
    only I listened to Christmas music until my 3 new Spinervals and The Pro and
    the Hard Road arrive (I end up riding indoors A LOT over the winter it seems
    ;>😉

    Cat

  4. Maggie said:

    WINTER!!!! After I made a fool of myself, a man passed


    by my house

    Quoted message said:

    on his bike. I noticed it was a TREK. (I am becoming


    knowlegable.)

    Quoted message said:

    He seemed to be handling the winds just fine. He was not


    being blown

    Quoted message said:

    off the road as I had been. Is this just determination,


    strength or

    Quoted message said:

    just experience? I did not have the strength to fight the


    winds. He

    Quoted message said:

    was riding as if the wind was not blowing. Was it


    strength or

    Quoted message said:

    experience? Maybe it was his expensive bike??? :-)

    Probably not his expensive bike.
    For the most part, people ride their least precious bike in
    the winter.
    Salt damage is almost inevitable.

    Small, thin people are more affected by high winds. That's
    probably why you had trouble in them.

    Do what you can do and want to do; you can learn a lot by
    observing others, but don't get hung up on comparisons.

  5. Maggie said:

    How the heck do you ride when the wind is gusting?

    Well, if you're Bill Baka, tilted at around 45 degrees!

    Couldn't resist,
    --
    BS (no, really)

  6. B i l l S o r n s o n wrote:
    || Maggie wrote:
    ||
    ||| How the heck do you ride when the wind is gusting?
    ||
    || Well, if you're Bill Baka, tilted at around 45 degrees!
    ||
    || Couldn't resist,

    🙂

  7. B i l l S o r n s o n said:
    Maggie said:

    How the heck do you ride when the wind is gusting?

    Well, if you're Bill Baka, tilted at around 45 degrees!

    Couldn't resist,

    Seriously, at about a 5 degree tilt, variable with gusts.
    When the wind is coming from the right (or left) at 35 MPH
    or so you do have to lean. Basic physics. Now if I had
    steel disk wheels that would increase to about 10 degrees.
    It's a bear on the sinuses and allergies though.
    Hey I like to stir it up once in a while, so sue me.
    I just have a different opinion than most.

    --
    Bill (?) Baka

  8. Maggie said:

    Here in the deep suburbs of Joisey...we had what seemed to be a
    hurricane today.

    We had gust upward of 50 mph. I learn to avoid riding on those
    days. Leaning into the wind works until the gusts stop.

    BTW, Bill wouldn't Bob have recommended leaning 45 degrees the other
    way. ;-)

    --
    Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry [email hidden]
    http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
    http://hcs.sourceforge.net/ (HCS II)
    http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog

  9. Bill Baka wrote:
    || On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 03:02:06 GMT, B i l l S o r n s o n
    || <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ||
    ||| Maggie wrote:
    |||
    |||| How the heck do you ride when the wind is gusting?
    |||
    ||| Well, if you're Bill Baka, tilted at around 45 degrees!
    |||
    ||| Couldn't resist,
    ||
    || Seriously, at about a 5 degree tilt, variable with gusts.
    || When the wind is coming from the right (or left) at 35 MPH
    || or so you do have to lean. Basic physics. Now if I had
    || steel disk wheels that would increase to about 10 degrees.
    || It's a bear on the sinuses and allergies though.
    || Hey I like to stir it up once in a while, so sue me.
    || I just have a different opinion than most.

    I really do think this is more of an opinion than anything else. If you
    were actually leaning, I think you'd fall over as soon as the wind changed.
    I was out riding in some strong winds over the thanksgiving holiday. What I
    had to do was steer into the wind, but I never attempted to lean my body
    and/or bike into the wind.

    ||
    || --
    || Bill (?) Baka

  10. Neil Cherry wrote:
    || On 1 Dec 2004 16:02:20 -0800, Maggie wrote:
    ||| Here in the deep suburbs of Joisey...we had what seemed to be a
    ||| hurricane today.
    ||
    || We had gust upward of 50 mph. I learn to avoid riding on those
    || days. Leaning into the wind works until the gusts stop.
    ||
    || BTW, Bill wouldn't Bob have recommended leaning 45 degrees the other
    || way. ;-)

    Oh...so you lean too. I guess I've got a lot to learn yet. But I don't
    think I'll be leaning....I'll leave that to you more experienced folks.

  11. Neil Cherry said:
    Maggie said:

    Here in the deep suburbs of Joisey...we had what seemed to be a
    hurricane today.

    We had gust upward of 50 mph. I learn to avoid riding on those
    days. Leaning into the wind works until the gusts stop.

    BTW, Bill wouldn't Bob have recommended leaning 45 degrees the other
    way. ;-)


    You never know what "proper" Bob will say about my posts. Some I just
    do when the group looks like it is running out of steam, like now that
    the election is over and it got so damn cold so fast. About 5 degrees
    lean works at 25 to 30 MPH, gusts are unpredictable so I stay far to
    the right, just in case.

    --
    Bill (?) Baka

  12. On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 06:06:35 -0500, Roger Zoul <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Bill Baka wrote:
    || On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 03:02:06 GMT, B i l l S o r n s o n
    || <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ||
    ||| Maggie wrote:
    |||
    |||| How the heck do you ride when the wind is gusting?
    |||
    ||| Well, if you're Bill Baka, tilted at around 45 degrees!
    |||
    ||| Couldn't resist,
    ||
    || Seriously, at about a 5 degree tilt, variable with gusts.
    || When the wind is coming from the right (or left) at 35 MPH
    || or so you do have to lean. Basic physics. Now if I had
    || steel disk wheels that would increase to about 10 degrees.
    || It's a bear on the sinuses and allergies though.
    || Hey I like to stir it up once in a while, so sue me.
    || I just have a different opinion than most.

    I really do think this is more of an opinion than anything else. If you
    were actually leaning, I think you'd fall over as soon as the wind
    changed.
    I was out riding in some strong winds over the thanksgiving holiday.
    What I
    had to do was steer into the wind, but I never attempted to lean my body
    and/or bike into the wind.


    Give me a little credit here. I can compensate just as fast for a wind
    change as a pothole dodge. And I a talking sideways wind. Kind of
    depends on your body wiegth and sideways wind resistance. A solid
    instead of spoked whlle Would blow you over. If you don't beilieve me
    go to a tech group. Physics 101.

    Quoted message said:

    || Bill (?) Baka

    --
    Bill (?) Baka

  13. On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 06:08:03 -0500, Roger Zoul <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Neil Cherry wrote:
    || On 1 Dec 2004 16:02:20 -0800, Maggie wrote:
    ||| Here in the deep suburbs of Joisey...we had what seemed to be a
    ||| hurricane today.
    ||
    || We had gust upward of 50 mph. I learn to avoid riding on those
    || days. Leaning into the wind works until the gusts stop.
    ||
    || BTW, Bill wouldn't Bob have recommended leaning 45 degrees the other
    || way. ;-)

    Oh...so you lean too. I guess I've got a lot to learn yet. But I don't
    think I'll be leaning....I'll leave that to you more experienced folks.


    I have to lean almost ever day. The wind in central California ia almost
    staring north or straight south due to the big valley effect. 25% sideway,
    25% percent in your face, 25% other side, 25% free ride at your back
    or 35 MPH if you pedal with it.
    California is lik a differenct country sometimes.

    --
    Bill (?) Baka

  14. On 1 Dec 2004 16:02:20 -0800, [email hidden] (Maggie)

    Quoted message said:

    Here in the deep suburbs of Joisey...we had what seemed to be a
    hurricane today. The wind was blowin' like a day out of Winnie the
    Poo's Blustery Day Book which I used to read to my little tykes long
    ago. I came home from work and decided I had to at least ride a
    little. BAD IDEA!!!!! How the heck do you ride when the wind is
    gusting? I know some of you ride through just about any type of
    weather, but I am not quite sure how you do it. Between the cold,
    rain and wind lately...I am not getting much riding time in. Is it
    really possible to ride all year long when you live in a state with
    WINTER!!!! After I made a fool of myself, a man passed by my house
    on his bike. I noticed it was a TREK. (I am becoming knowlegable.)
    He seemed to be handling the winds just fine. He was not being blown
    off the road as I had been. Is this just determination, strength or
    just experience? I did not have the strength to fight the winds. He
    was riding as if the wind was not blowing. Was it strength or
    experience? Maybe it was his expensive bike??? :-)
    I hung my head in shame and went into the basement to work out on
    Crazy Tony's Gazelle. At least I got some exercise.
    Maggie
    http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html
    http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/

    I get lucky sometimes. I always teach the evening of the first
    Wednesday of every month, which means I need to bring a laptop with
    me. That means that I don't bike. So, yesterday I did not bike to
    work. So I got to miss the rain/wind storm. Hey, I wouldn't have biked
    in yesterday even if I didn't to teach. That weather was just awful.
    Rain coming in sheets sideways is not to be tolerated.

  15. Roger Zoul said:

    Neil Cherry wrote:
    || On 1 Dec 2004 16:02:20 -0800, Maggie wrote:
    ||| Here in the deep suburbs of Joisey...we had what seemed to be a
    ||| hurricane today.
    ||
    || We had gust upward of 50 mph. I learn to avoid riding on those
    || days. Leaning into the wind works until the gusts stop.
    ||
    || BTW, Bill wouldn't Bob have recommended leaning 45 degrees the other
    || way. ;-)

    Oh...so you lean too. I guess I've got a lot to learn yet. But I don't
    think I'll be leaning....I'll leave that to you more experienced folks.

    At 50 mph you don't have a choice, you still have to get from where
    you are to home. But I won't recommend it as when the gust cuts out
    you have to counter correct. Which means you're all over the road.

    --
    Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry [email hidden]
    http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
    http://hcs.sourceforge.net/ (HCS II)
    http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog

  16. Neil Cherry wrote:
    || On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 06:08:03 -0500, Roger Zoul wrote:
    ||| Neil Cherry wrote:
    ||||| On 1 Dec 2004 16:02:20 -0800, Maggie wrote:
    |||||| Here in the deep suburbs of Joisey...we had what seemed to be a
    |||||| hurricane today.
    |||||
    ||||| We had gust upward of 50 mph. I learn to avoid riding on those
    ||||| days. Leaning into the wind works until the gusts stop.
    |||||
    ||||| BTW, Bill wouldn't Bob have recommended leaning 45 degrees the
    ||||| other way. ;-)
    |||
    ||| Oh...so you lean too. I guess I've got a lot to learn yet. But I
    ||| don't think I'll be leaning....I'll leave that to you more
    ||| experienced folks.
    ||
    || At 50 mph you don't have a choice, you still have to get from where
    || you are to home. But I won't recommend it as when the gust cuts out
    || you have to counter correct. Which means you're all over the road.

    Do you mean lean to the side - with your body? You don't actually try to
    lean your bike do you?

  17. In article <[email hidden]>,

    dgk said:

    On 1 Dec 2004 16:02:20 -0800, [email hidden] (Maggie)

    Quoted message said:

    Here in the deep suburbs of Joisey...we had what seemed to be a
    hurricane today.


    snip

    Quoted message said:


    snip
    That weather was just awful.

    Quoted message said:

    Rain coming in sheets sideways is not to be tolerated.

    Not tolerated??
    Watcha gonna doo...🙂

    And as for a hurricane, I believe Fortescue, NJ reported a gust of 76 mph.

    Great riding weather!
    as long as you are going downwind!

    Ride Safe.... Indoors!

  18. Neil Cherry said:
    Roger Zoul said:

    Neil Cherry wrote:
    || On 1 Dec 2004 16:02:20 -0800, Maggie wrote:
    ||| Here in the deep suburbs of Joisey...we had what seemed to be a
    ||| hurricane today.
    ||
    || We had gust upward of 50 mph. I learn to avoid riding on those
    || days. Leaning into the wind works until the gusts stop.
    ||
    || BTW, Bill wouldn't Bob have recommended leaning 45 degrees the other
    || way. ;-)

    Oh...so you lean too. I guess I've got a lot to learn yet. But I don't
    think I'll be leaning....I'll leave that to you more experienced folks.

    At 50 mph you don't have a choice, you still have to get from where
    you are to home. But I won't recommend it as when the gust cuts out
    you have to counter correct. Which means you're all over the road.


    Amen to that. I have been blissfully riding in a nieghborhood with
    houses shielding me and along comes an empty lot and a vicious wind
    gets through and almost blows me off. Lack of attention to something
    you would never give a second thought on most days, and I hate being
    at the mercy of the wind. Weather is really hard to predict and it
    controls itself, along the lines of fluid dynamics, which I can't
    possibly plot out before each trip. You are at the mercy of nature
    and that is that.

    --
    Bill (?) Baka

  19. On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 09:30:34 -0500, Roger Zoul <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Neil Cherry wrote:
    || On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 06:08:03 -0500, Roger Zoul wrote:
    ||| Neil Cherry wrote:
    ||||| On 1 Dec 2004 16:02:20 -0800, Maggie wrote:
    |||||| Here in the deep suburbs of Joisey...we had what seemed to be a
    |||||| hurricane today.
    |||||
    ||||| We had gust upward of 50 mph. I learn to avoid riding on those
    ||||| days. Leaning into the wind works until the gusts stop.
    |||||
    ||||| BTW, Bill wouldn't Bob have recommended leaning 45 degrees the
    ||||| other way. ;-)
    |||
    ||| Oh...so you lean too. I guess I've got a lot to learn yet. But I
    ||| don't think I'll be leaning....I'll leave that to you more
    ||| experienced folks.
    ||
    || At 50 mph you don't have a choice, you still have to get from where
    || you are to home. But I won't recommend it as when the gust cuts out
    || you have to counter correct. Which means you're all over the road.

    Do you mean lean to the side - with your body? You don't actually try to
    lean your bike do you?


    That means the bike too.

    --
    Bill (?) Baka

  20. Bill Baka wrote:
    || On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 09:30:34 -0500, Roger Zoul
    || <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ||
    ||| Neil Cherry wrote:
    ||||| On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 06:08:03 -0500, Roger Zoul wrote:
    |||||| Neil Cherry wrote:
    |||||||| On 1 Dec 2004 16:02:20 -0800, Maggie wrote:
    ||||||||| Here in the deep suburbs of Joisey...we had what seemed to be
    ||||||||| a hurricane today.
    ||||||||
    |||||||| We had gust upward of 50 mph. I learn to avoid riding on those
    |||||||| days. Leaning into the wind works until the gusts stop.
    ||||||||
    |||||||| BTW, Bill wouldn't Bob have recommended leaning 45 degrees the
    |||||||| other way. ;-)
    ||||||
    |||||| Oh...so you lean too. I guess I've got a lot to learn yet. But
    |||||| I don't think I'll be leaning....I'll leave that to you more
    |||||| experienced folks.
    |||||
    ||||| At 50 mph you don't have a choice, you still have to get from
    ||||| where you are to home. But I won't recommend it as when the gust
    ||||| cuts out you have to counter correct. Which means you're all over
    ||||| the road.
    |||
    ||| Do you mean lean to the side - with your body? You don't actually
    ||| try to lean your bike do you?
    |||
    |||
    || That means the bike too.

    I remain unconvinced.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.