A Question For The Forum Experts:what Level Am I? Intermediate, Advanced, Recreation?

Mengtian

Jun 3, 2015
What level am I? Intermediate, advanced, recreation? I really don't know. I never bike in groups and don't hang out with folks that cycle. I have nothing to compare myself and times with.

I commute either 16 or 25 miles each way from work at an average of 17-18 MPH. I do 50 milers on weekends (today I averaged 18.9 MPH on rolling hills in San Antonio.

I do approx 250-300 miles per week.

For you experts out there: what category do I fall in? I am curious becuase I am thinking about joining a bike club and am not sure what level I am at compared to folks that ride in clubs.

You are definitely a recreational cyclist because you don't race. As to your physiological level, I would say intermediate. If you were advanced physiologically, you would be averaging about 20mph on your solo rides. As to your group riding expertise, you are a beginner. There is a lot to learn about riding in a group. If you join a club, I would tell them you are an intermediate recreational cyclist with no group riding experience.

Mengtian said:
What level am I? Intermediate, advanced, recreation? I really don't know. I never bike in groups and don't hang out with folks that cycle. I have nothing to compare myself and times with.

I commute either 16 or 25 miles each way from work at an average of 17-18 MPH. I do 50 milers on weekends (today I averaged 18.9 MPH on rolling hills in San Antonio.

I do approx 250-300 miles per week.

For you experts out there: what category do I fall in? I am curious becuase I am thinking about joining a bike club and am not sure what level I am at compared to folks that ride in clubs.
Unless you are joining a racing club, most clubs have several levels. I think you are advanced for a non racing club. To be advanced you need to own a cell phone and know how to use it or deal with your mechanical problems - mostly flat tires. 50 miles is long for most non racing clubs.

I don't ride in groups much any more. Guys behind me scare me.

Thanks guys. I feel fine after I get done with a ride. Todays bike ride was medium effort. My goal is to do a century in 6 hours or less in a couple of months. I thought that riding with others would help with my cadence and rythym. That is why I am looking to join a club or something.

I am also getting a new bike if it is avialable (Fuji Transonic with Ultegra Di2 or Cervelo R3). I am for once going to get a bike fitting. I nver had one before. Guy at my LBS measured and my current bike and said it was actually pretty good. Needs some tweaking though.

One of the reasons to join a bike club is to ride with other people who are stronger than you and who will challenge you to get better. If you ride 250-300 miles per week and can do 50 miles at ~19 mph by yourself I doubt you will have much trouble with a 6 hour century, certainly not in a group. IMO, you could think about a 5 hour century if you could find 4-5 people who shared that goal.

One reason people don't go out for club rides is that they are afraid of being dropped. Get over that. It happens to everyone and there is no shame in it. Learn to change a tube. Get a (or more than one) mapping apps for your phone so you can get home. It may happen to you and it may not, but if it does, be prepared.

Then go check out some clubs. Show up for rides and make some friends. Someone who rides as much and as often as you do will do fine.

Reactions: Mengtian
BrianMacDonald said:
One of the reasons to join a bike club is to ride with other people who are stronger than you and who will challenge you to get better. If you ride 250-300 miles per week and can do 50 miles at ~19 mph by yourself I doubt you will have much trouble with a 6 hour century, certainly not in a group. IMO, you could think about a 5 hour century if you could find 4-5 people who shared that goal.

One reason people don't go out for club rides is that they are afraid of being dropped. Get over that. It happens to everyone and there is no shame in it. Learn to change a tube. Get a (or more than one) mapping apps for your phone so you can get home. It may happen to you and it may not, but if it does, be prepared.

Then go check out some clubs. Show up for rides and make some friends. Someone who rides as much and as often as you do will do fine.
Thanks! I am very good at changing tubes LOL.....and I have a phone and a Garmin 200 for the bike. I am signed up for a century in July. I feel confident I will do OK. The biggest problem I have training is my commute rides. Lots of sprints to lights and such. Hard to get a rythym for more than three or four miles at a shot. Weekend ride is much better. I can bike for 2 hours without having to slow down or unclipping for an intersection.

Thanks for all the support guys! I will post how my new bike does when I get it tommorrow and how th Century goes.

Hey there! Based on your weekly mileage and average speeds, you seem to be well beyond the recreational level. Your commute distance and pace, as well as your 50-miler performance, suggest that you're comfortably in the intermediate range. However, your consistent 250-300 miles per week might even place you closer to advanced territory. Joining a bike club is a great idea to further challenge yourself and connect with other cyclists. Keep up the fantastic work!