UK and Europe · Public discussion

A picking of collective brains please

Started by Dirtylitterboxo · · Last activity · 10 posts · 763 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
2 April 2004
Last activity
3 April 2004
Original author
Dirtylitterboxo
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
763
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a plan. Not a cunning plan, but one gradually taking
    shape for the Unfit Family Cycling World Tour (Whitley Bay
    to Wendling) Summer 2004.

    Getting the bikes to Whitley Bay in Tyne & Wear - starting
    point to be by St Mary's lighthouse (mainland side) and then
    cycling home to Wendling. Have got and am getting the
    various Sustrans maps that I'll use as a guide to the route.
    The maps are the Three Rivers Cycle Route, The White Rose
    Cycle Route & the Hull to Fakenham one. Have to say, to give
    credit to Sustrans on this one, the maps look quite
    comprehensive. BUT, I want to be able to avoid any bits only
    doable with a mountain bike, as the bikes being used will be
    tourers loaded with panniers.

    At this stage, I'm looking at maps, musing, mulling things
    over in my brain cell and thinking of likely daily
    distances, stopping points etc.

    So, those of you that have experience of the above cycle
    routes (all on NCN I think) can you give me the benefit of
    your local knowledge on bits that are okay, btis to be
    avoided, possible problems to plan to try to avoid, good
    places to stop off at and the like?

    Cheers, and thanks in advance, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
    correct one remove fame & fortune
    h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

    --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel
    is switched off--

  2. dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers said:

    Getting the bikes to Whitley Bay in Tyne & Wear - starting
    point to be by St Mary's lighthouse (mainland side) and
    then cycling home to Wendling. Have got and am getting the
    various Sustrans maps that I'll use as a guide to the
    route. The maps are the Three Rivers Cycle Route, The
    White Rose Cycle Route & the Hull to Fakenham one. Have to
    say, to give credit to Sustrans on this one, the maps look
    quite comprehensive.

    I think this is one positive thing about Sustrans, I do like
    their maps and they are, for me, well designed for cycling
    by being turned into strips.

    Quoted message said:

    BUT, I want to be able to avoid any bits only doable with
    a mountain bike, as the bikes being used will be tourers
    loaded with panniers.

    I'll have a look at the Three Rivers map at the weekend and
    let you know of any bits that I know are dodgy.

    To be honest one of the worst bits will be Whitley Bay
    towards Newcastle, there are some stretches which are just
    plain horrible and it might be worth working out a road
    route. There's one bit on the C2C which involves steps!
    (somewhere near Tynemouth) And there are some off road paths
    around Wallsend which are usually glass strewn. I'm not sure
    of the overlap between the C2C and the Three Rivers but I'll
    take a look at let you know.

    Colin
    --

  3. Quoted message said:

    I'll have a look at the Three Rivers map at the weekend and
    let you know of any bits that I know are dodgy.

    Thanks - I appreciate that.

    Quoted message said:

    To be honest one of the worst bits will be Whitley Bay
    towards Newcastle, there are some stretches which are
    just plain horrible and it might be worth working out a
    road route.

    Luckily I grew up in the North East and I should be able to
    get round any dodgy bits fairly easily.

    Quoted message said:

    There's one bit on the C2C which involves steps! (somewhere
    near Tynemouth) And there are some off road paths around
    Wallsend which are usually glass strewn.

    Eeeeeee, bonnie laad, Waallsend can be a bit dodgy like.
    Aahll be tekkin care roond there like. Aah winnit be stoppin
    much roound there.

    Mind you, I am thinking about the possibility of the ferry
    at North Shields to South Shields, as there's supposed to be
    one every half-hour.

    Cheers, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
    correct one remove fame & fortune
    h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

    --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel
    is switched off--

  4. dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers said:

    Mind you, I am thinking about the possibility of the ferry
    at North Shields to South Shields, as there's supposed to
    be one every half-hour.

    I think that would be a very nice option.

    Colin
    --

  5. [QUOTE]Originally posted by Dirtylitterboxo

    Luckily I grew up in the North East and I should be able to
    get round any dodgy bits fairly easily.

    Mind you, I am thinking about the possibility of the ferry
    at North Shields to South Shields, as there's supposed to be
    one every half-hour.

    Cheers, helen s [QUOTE]


    The North East Rules!

    All my family are from there. Geordie's are the best.
    As for cycling along the cliffs by the former Marsden Rock (sadly partly blasted into oblivion) - fantastic. (The Marsden Rattler did a brilliant pint).

  6. "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers"
    <[email hidden]> wrote in The maps are the Three
    Rivers Cycle Route, The White Rose Cycle Route & the

    Quoted message said:

    Hull to Fakenham one.

    There's a story of one rider's trip on the Hull to Fakenham
    route here.
    homepage.ntlworld.comrrncn2.html

    To avoid the trouble he had getting lost at the Humber
    Bridge, you might need the Hull cycle map available from
    here. If you followed the wrong NCN 1 signs, you would end
    up at the Rotterdam ferry in a dead end instead of going
    over the Humber Bridge.

    hullcc.gov.ukindex.php

    Simon M.

    Simon M.

  7. Quoted message said:

    To avoid the trouble he had getting lost at the Humber
    Bridge, you might need the Hull cycle map available from
    here. If you followed the wrong NCN 1 signs, you would end
    up at the Rotterdam ferry in a dead end instead of going
    over the Humber Bridge.

    hullcc.gov.ukindex.php

    Simon M.

    Thanks Simon.

    Much appreciated.

    Cheers, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
    correct one remove fame & fortune
    h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

    --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel
    is switched off--

  8. dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers said:

    So, those of you that have experience of the above cycle
    routes (all on NCN I think) can you give me the benefit of
    your local knowledge on bits that are okay, btis to be
    avoided, possible problems to plan to try to avoid, good
    places to stop off at and the like?

    Cheers, and thanks in advance, helen s

    Not sure if the routes you mention pass through Hartlepool,
    my home town. There is a NCN route passes very close to
    where I grew up and where my parents still llive, it keeps
    as close as possible to the coast. If you want I could
    suggest a route from somewhere North of the big H to
    somewhere south of the Tees. Passing through these places is
    not very picturesque unless you like industry and industrial
    wasteland but it would be the quickest way to the superb
    North Yorkshire Moors. The transporter bridge across the
    Tees is very interesting if you are into bridges like I am,
    it is the one used in Auf Wiedersehen, Pet ! and one of only
    two or three in existence. I

  9. Quoted message said:

    Not sure if the routes you mention pass through Hartlepool,
    my home town.

    Not sure if it does yet - I'm waiting on that particular map
    from Sustrans. I've been to Hartlepool once as a child,
    indeed my first ever competition for highland dancing was
    there (I was seven years old) and I got a silver medal for
    the sword dance :-) I actually find old industrial sites to
    be quite fascinating in their own way and if the route does
    go via the transporter bridge, then so much the better.

    Quoted message said:

    If you want I could suggest a route from somewhere North of
    the big H to somewhere south of the Tees.

    I may take you up on that later, please. I'll have a look
    at the Sustrans stuff when it gets here and mull it over in
    the brain.

    Cheers, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
    correct one remove fame & fortune
    h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

    --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel
    is switched off--

  10. dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers said:
    Quoted message said:

    Not sure if the routes you mention pass through
    Hartlepool, my home town.

    Not sure if it does yet - I'm waiting on that particular
    map from Sustrans. I've been to Hartlepool once as a
    child, indeed my first ever competition for highland
    dancing was there (I was seven years old) and I got a
    silver medal for the sword dance :-) I actually find old
    industrial sites to be quite fascinating in their own way
    and if the route does go via the transporter bridge, then
    so much the better.

    There is a NCN route through the town, it keeps as close as
    it can to the coast and goes very close to my parents house
    and past my old schools. The transporter bridge is a much
    better alternative than the other Tees crossings in
    Middlesbrough or Stockton-on-Tees. It is far more
    interesting and gets you out of the centre of Middlesbrough
    very quickly into the industrial wastland of Port Clarence -
    don't breath in too heavily passing the plants, particularly
    Tioxide. The roads on the Hartlepool side are pretty good
    and wide, very exposed and usually very quiet. The only real
    traffic is trucks going to the scrap yards, chemical plants
    and the nuclear power station. There is actually a nature
    reserve around there and there used to be a visitor centre
    in the power station, not sure if its still open. In
    Hartlepool the old docks area has changed very dramtically
    in the last 10 years with Harltepool Historic Quay which is
    a maritime museum type thing with some old ships, I have not
    been, but they say its pretty good.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If you want I could suggest a route from somewhere North
    of the big H to somewhere south of the Tees.

    I may take you up on that later, please. I'll have a look
    at the Sustrans stuff when it gets here and mull it over
    in the brain.

    Send me a mail if you need help, I may miss it on here.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.