Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

A couple of simple questions

Started by Ken Marcet · · Last activity · 7 posts · 512 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
22 February 2005
Last activity
23 February 2005
Original author
Ken Marcet
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
512
Views / 30 days
7

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. First until last week I had only riden a recumbent once, a long wheel base,
    and the street I started on was slightly downhill so I had no trouble
    starting off. Last week I finished my first custom recycled recumbent
    project bike, I did a short wheel base, I thought it would make a better
    commuting bike. Now I have riden my swb maybe a dozen times now, and seem to
    be getting somewhat better at starting off. So my first question is: Is
    there an easy to learn trick to starting off? Or is it just sort of a
    learned skill? Right now my bike is limited to the five gears in the rear
    wheel. I still need to work on a front deraileir. Second how are the muscles
    in your legs used differently in a recumbent bike? I have definately noticed
    my legs feel somewhat different after riding my bent versus when I ride my
    upright road cycle.

    Ken

    --
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
    Arthur C. Clarke
    English physicist & science fiction author (1917 - )

  2. "Ken Marcet" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Last week I finished my first custom recycled recumbent
    project bike, I did a short wheel base, [...]
    Is there an easy to learn trick to starting off? Or is it just
    sort of a learned skill?

    I'm still getting used to high-bottom bracket SWB and starting
    my Volae remains less sure than on my low bottom bracket
    LWB after a month or so of riding... In my case, I went from
    a bottom bracket height of ~12 inches on my Tour Easy to
    ~32 inches on my Volae, and from fairly upright seating position
    to more reclined. I think both the bottom bracket height and
    the seat recline affect starting.

    For stop and go, I don't imagine a high-bottom bracket,
    dual "big wheel" bike like Volae/Bacchetta will *ever*
    be a comfortable starting for *me* as my Tour Easy and
    BikeE,-- but it is quite manageable. I can't yet imagine
    riding the Volae in the midst of a mass start event like the
    Hotter 'n Hell rally where it took 45 minutes for us to
    even reach the starting line.

    Quoted message said:

    Right now my bike is limited to the five gears in the rear
    wheel. I still need to work on a front derailleur.

    Do you have low enough gearing?

    I find it's much harder to start in a "too high" gear on my
    Volae than on my Tour Easy. It is easier to "push off" to get
    a rolling start on the Tour Easy,-- I can take both feet
    off and "Flintstone" the bike, if I have to... Not possible
    on the Volae.

    Clipless pedals may or may not help... I have mine
    adjusted quite loose for now.

    Quoted message said:

    Second how are the muscles in your legs used differently
    in a recumbent bike?

    Quite differently. %^) Quadriceps get major workout,
    in my experience.

    Quoted message said:

    I have definitely noticed my legs feel somewhat different
    after riding my bent versus when I ride my
    upright road cycle.

    I even notice a difference among my recumbent models.

    Quoted message said:

    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
    [-- Clarke]

    Intelligence often seems to be selected against in the
    survival of the USENET poster species...

    Jon Meinecke
    net.subtle-apteryx

  3. Ken Marcet said:

    First until last week I had only riden a recumbent once, a long wheel
    base, and the street I started on was slightly downhill so I had no
    trouble starting off. Last week I finished my first custom recycled
    recumbent project bike, I did a short wheel base, I thought it would make
    a better commuting bike. Now I have riden my swb maybe a dozen times now,
    and seem to be getting somewhat better at starting off. So my first
    question is: Is there an easy to learn trick to starting off? Or is it
    just sort of a learned skill?

    I put my right foot down to stop, and start by pushing on the pedal with
    with my left. I make sure my starting pedal is about 20-30 degrees from
    vertical 'toward me' and that I am in a low gear. I forget about niceties
    like engaging the toe clip or clipless pedal (or whatever) with my right
    foot when I initially start off - I just pedal. Once I am going then I can
    coast a bit if necessary to sort out the proper pedal engagement.

    It takes some planning, but it becomes habit, that you gear down toward the
    bottom of your range as you come to a stop. With a 3x8=24 gear setup I go
    to the bottom of the top range for a downhill start, the bottom of the top
    or middle range (whichever I am in at the time) for a flat start, or the
    lowest possible for an uphill start. Sometimes an uphill start is just
    impossible and has to be tackled at least partially across the slope to
    have any chance of success. Don't stop on hills like that if you can
    possibly help it

    --
    John Turner

  4. Ken Marcet said:

    First until last week I had only riden a recumbent once, a long wheel base,
    and the street I started on was slightly downhill so I had no trouble
    starting off. Last week I finished my first custom recycled recumbent
    project bike, I did a short wheel base, I thought it would make a better
    commuting bike. Now I have riden my swb maybe a dozen times now, and seem to
    be getting somewhat better at starting off. So my first question is: Is
    there an easy to learn trick to starting off? Or is it just sort of a
    learned skill?...

    You want to get up to balancing speed as soon as possible. Make sure the
    bike is in a low gear, lock the rear brake, push as hard as you can with
    your "starting" leg, then release the brake.

    With practice I find it easier to start out on my RANS Rocket and Earth
    Cycles Sunset Lowracer than on an upright bicycle, since there is less
    overall body motion involved. The RANS "Wavewind" actually takes more
    effort to balance due to the longer wheelbase and greater tiller (and
    too low of a gear results in a "power wheelie"😉.

    And yes, starting out is ridiculously easy on my Earth Cycles
    Dragonflyer trike. 😉

    --
    Tom Sherman - Earth

  5. Ken:

    Go out and find a scary steep hill and practice starting your bike going
    uphill for an afternoon. That'll about do it. Most of the stuff Tom is
    telling you to do, you'll pretty much have to do to get the bike moving
    (lock the brake, get it in an appropriate gear, "[censored]" your driving or power
    leg at around 12:00, etc.) Start, stop, restart, stop, restart, stop, etc.
    for an afternoon. It's a good investment.

    --
    --Scott
    "Ken Marcet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    First until last week I had only riden a recumbent once, a long wheel
    base,
    and the street I started on was slightly downhill so I had no trouble
    starting off. Last week I finished my first custom recycled recumbent
    project bike, I did a short wheel base, I thought it would make a better
    commuting bike. Now I have riden my swb maybe a dozen times now, and seem
    to
    be getting somewhat better at starting off. So my first question is: Is
    there an easy to learn trick to starting off? Or is it just sort of a
    learned skill? Right now my bike is limited to the five gears in the rear
    wheel. I still need to work on a front deraileir. Second how are the
    muscles
    in your legs used differently in a recumbent bike? I have definately
    noticed
    my legs feel somewhat different after riding my bent versus when I ride my
    upright road cycle.

    Ken

    --
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
    Arthur C. Clarke
    English physicist & science fiction author (1917 - )

  6. Hey thanks Tom that holding the brake trick really works pretty good. I just
    tried it on my first double digit distance ride on my swb. I am still a bit
    shaky, but not as bad. I guess after a bit I will be better at it.

    Ken

    "Tom Sherman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Ken Marcet said:

    First until last week I had only riden a recumbent once, a long wheel


    base,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and the street I started on was slightly downhill so I had no trouble
    starting off. Last week I finished my first custom recycled recumbent
    project bike, I did a short wheel base, I thought it would make a better
    commuting bike. Now I have riden my swb maybe a dozen times now, and


    seem to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    be getting somewhat better at starting off. So my first question is: Is
    there an easy to learn trick to starting off? Or is it just sort of a
    learned skill?...

    You want to get up to balancing speed as soon as possible. Make sure the
    bike is in a low gear, lock the rear brake, push as hard as you can with
    your "starting" leg, then release the brake.

    With practice I find it easier to start out on my RANS Rocket and Earth
    Cycles Sunset Lowracer than on an upright bicycle, since there is less
    overall body motion involved. The RANS "Wavewind" actually takes more
    effort to balance due to the longer wheelbase and greater tiller (and
    too low of a gear results in a "power wheelie"😉.

    And yes, starting out is ridiculously easy on my Earth Cycles
    Dragonflyer trike. 😉

    --
    Tom Sherman - Earth

  7. Ken Marcet said:

    First until last week I had only riden a recumbent once, a long wheel
    base, and the street I started on was slightly downhill so I had no
    trouble starting off. Last week I finished my first custom recycled
    recumbent project bike, I did a short wheel base, I thought it would make
    a better commuting bike. Now I have riden my swb maybe a dozen times now,
    and seem to be getting somewhat better at starting off. So my first
    question is: Is there an easy to learn trick to starting off? Or is it
    just sort of a learned skill?

    If there is a trick I haven't found it yet. Lots of practice is the
    answer. Someone else suggested a day on the steepest hill you can find.
    I'd suggest half an hour on a moderate hill, after which your legs are
    going to hurt somewhat. When I let newcomers to recumbents ride my
    SWB bike, I tell them to give a damn good push with their best leg
    (normally right) and bring the other foot up promptly. Some can do it
    right away, some never manage it...

    .... I've had a very experienced cyclist who couldn't, but his mid-teen
    son was a complete natural.

    Quoted message said:

    Right now my bike is limited to the five gears in the rear wheel.

    That's OK, I use a pretty low gear to start and change up as soon as I've
    got the second foot clipped in. Clip-less clips are essential for me :-)

    Quoted message said:

    Second how are the muscles in your legs used differently in a recumbent
    bike? I have definately noticed my legs feel somewhat different after
    riding my bent versus when I ride my upright road cycle.

    It's different. I can't describe how or why. But once you've built your
    recumbent muscles you (well I) can take a month or two without being on
    either a recumbent or an upright without losing the suitable muscles.
    (What there has been of cycling this February has been entirely upright
    because it has mudguards (fenders to you maybe) while the recumbent
    doesn't.)

    Mike

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.