UK and Europe · Public discussion

a couple of questions about mudguards

Started by davek · · Last activity · 10 posts · 527 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
14 February 2005
Last activity
16 February 2005
Original author
davek
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
527
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just fitted some SKS "chromoplastic" mudguards to my bike after being
    fed up with the amount of muck it has been gathering on recent rides (a
    bit after the horse has bolted, but better late than never). Anyway,
    two questions...

    1. What is the optimum spacing between mudguard and tyre, both from a
    performance point of view and with regard to aerodynamics? I've guessed
    the mudguard should be as close as possible but I don't know better.

    2. The rear mudguard came fitted with both a reflector and a light,
    presumably meant to be connected to a dynamo. If I fit a dynamo, where
    would I connect the wires to make the light work? I have a hunch that I
    should wire it up to the mudguard bracket that clips to the chainstay
    bridge, and that the metal in the mudguard will act as a conductor.
    Unfortunately, the instructions that came with the mudguards were
    unenlightening.

    tia,

    d.

  2. davek said:

    Just fitted some SKS "chromoplastic" mudguards to my bike after being
    fed up with the amount of muck it has been gathering on recent rides (a
    bit after the horse has bolted, but better late than never). Anyway,
    two questions...

    1. What is the optimum spacing between mudguard and tyre, both from a
    performance point of view and with regard to aerodynamics? I've guessed
    the mudguard should be as close as possible but I don't know better.

    It depends on your definition of "performance" :-)

    Fitting it close leads to rubbing when your wheel goes out of true, and
    also means that it captures less of the upthrown muddy water that's
    aligned with the plane of the wheel but is thrown off between contact
    patch and mudguard. If you go anywhere *really* muddy it can clog up,
    too.

    Aerodynamically, I dunno. I can't imagine it'd be significant in any
    practical setup.

    Quoted message said:

    2. The rear mudguard came fitted with both a reflector and a light,
    presumably meant to be connected to a dynamo. If I fit a dynamo, where
    would I connect the wires to make the light work? I have a hunch that I
    should wire it up to the mudguard bracket that clips to the chainstay
    bridge, and that the metal in the mudguard will act as a conductor.
    Unfortunately, the instructions that came with the mudguards were
    unenlightening.

    Using the mudguard and/or frame as a conducting path is fraught with
    difficulties. In theory it should be fine, but in practice... you'd
    be much better off fixing a pair of wires 'twixt dynamo and light.

    R.

  3. davek said:

    Just fitted some SKS "chromoplastic" mudguards to my bike after being
    fed up with the amount of muck it has been gathering on recent rides (a
    bit after the horse has bolted, but better late than never). Anyway,
    two questions...

    1. What is the optimum spacing between mudguard and tyre, both from a
    performance point of view and with regard to aerodynamics? I've guessed
    the mudguard should be as close as possible but I don't know better.

    2. The rear mudguard came fitted with both a reflector and a light,
    presumably meant to be connected to a dynamo. If I fit a dynamo, where
    would I connect the wires to make the light work? I have a hunch that I
    should wire it up to the mudguard bracket that clips to the chainstay
    bridge, and that the metal in the mudguard will act as a conductor.
    Unfortunately, the instructions that came with the mudguards were
    unenlightening.

    tia,

    d.

    My SKS/Bluemels guard has said light/reflector (Both BS6102 actually).
    One terminal is connected to the muguard stay and hence frame. The other
    runs through the mudguard to a spigot on the other end of the guard so
    its between the chainstays when fitted. Like the other response I would
    wire it with two wires to the lamp though if I ever come to get my dynamo..

  4. in message <[email hidden]>, davek

    (') said:

    Just fitted some SKS "chromoplastic" mudguards to my bike after being
    fed up with the amount of muck it has been gathering on recent rides
    (a bit after the horse has bolted, but better late than never).
    Anyway, two questions...

    1. What is the optimum spacing between mudguard and tyre, both from a
    performance point of view and with regard to aerodynamics? I've
    guessed the mudguard should be as close as possible but I don't know
    better.

    Mud, grit and other obnoxiousness will accumulate on the inside of the
    mudguard. The gap needs to be larger than the largest particle of crud
    that might so accumulate, so bigger in sticky gravelly conditions and
    very muddy conditions. On normal road surfaces, as close as possible
    *without* touching is good.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; all in all you're just another click in the call
    ;; -- Minke Bouyed

  5. davek said:

    Just fitted some SKS "chromoplastic" mudguards to my bike after being
    fed up with the amount of muck it has been gathering on recent rides (a
    bit after the horse has bolted, but better late than never). Anyway,
    two questions...

    1. What is the optimum spacing between mudguard and tyre, both from a
    performance point of view and with regard to aerodynamics? I've guessed
    the mudguard should be as close as possible but I don't know better.

    No! You need some mud clearance. Half an inch is good.

  6. Richard said:

    also means that it captures less of the upthrown muddy water that's
    aligned with the plane of the wheel but is thrown off between contact
    patch and mudguard.

    Having a full-length front guard with flap should protect my bottom
    bracket, though, right?

    Quoted message said:

    Aerodynamically, I dunno. I can't imagine it'd be significant in any
    practical setup.

    I thought aerodynamics was one of the reasons road bikes didn't come
    with mudguards, but would I be right in guessing that it's a secondary
    reason after weight and frame clearance issues?

    Quoted message said:

    Using the mudguard and/or frame as a conducting path is fraught with
    difficulties. In theory it should be fine, but in practice... you'd
    be much better off fixing a pair of wires 'twixt dynamo and light.

    Wilco.

    d.

  7. davek said:
    Richard said:

    Aerodynamically, I dunno. I can't imagine it'd be significant in
    any practical setup.

    It may be a small factor but mudguards would spoil the effect of aero
    wheels. Even wide tyres can.

    Quoted message said:

    I thought aerodynamics was one of the reasons road bikes didn't come
    with mudguards, but would I be right in guessing that it's a secondary
    reason after weight and frame clearance issues?

    That's right. Also it's one less potential cause of problems, plus it's
    easier to change a wheel and maintain the bike without mudguards.

    ~PB

  8. davek said:
    Richard said:

    also means that it captures less of the upthrown muddy water that's
    aligned with the plane of the wheel but is thrown off between contact
    patch and mudguard.

    Having a full-length front guard with flap should protect my bottom
    bracket, though, right?

    Quoted message said:

    Aerodynamically, I dunno. I can't imagine it'd be significant in any
    practical setup.

    I thought aerodynamics was one of the reasons road bikes didn't come
    with mudguards, but would I be right in guessing that it's a secondary
    reason after weight and frame clearance issues?

    Quoted message said:

    Using the mudguard and/or frame as a conducting path is fraught with
    difficulties. In theory it should be fine, but in practice... you'd
    be much better off fixing a pair of wires 'twixt dynamo and light.

    Wilco.

    d.


    I read in one of Ed Burkes books that mudguards increase drag by 20-30% IIRC

  9. On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:41:18 +0000, MSeries <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I read in one of Ed Burkes books that mudguards increase drag by 20-30% IIRC

    Possibly for the bike alone, but for a bike + rider I would be
    surprised if the effect is that great.

  10. Richard <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : Aerodynamically, I dunno. I can't imagine it'd be significant in any
    : practical setup.

    It's surprisingly noticable once you get above 20mph IME.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune PGP/GPG Key: http://www.clune.org/pubkey.txt
    It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.