Road Cycling · Public discussion

A commuter question

Started by Cully_J · · Last activity · 26 posts · 965 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
5 January 2006
Last activity
8 January 2006
Original author
Cully_J
Posts
26
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
965
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–26 of 26
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Cully_J" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Hello all,

    I'm curious about what commuters - especially ones who wear suits - do
    to wash up when they get to work.

    Cully_J

    I ride 10 miles each way to work and home in So Cal, it usually does not
    get cold enough to require any special cold weather attire.

    Our office is business casual.

    I ride in cycling shorts and a fluorescent yellow jersey (I like to be
    very visible). I carry my rain jacket (this doubles as a windbreaker
    until I get warmed up), change of clothes and shoes, laptop and
    accessories etc. in panniers. I dry the sweat with paper towels and I
    have a fan in my cubicle to help me cool off.

    At the office I cool off in my cycling clothes (I arrive early) and then
    change into business attire after I am cool and dry.

    I just hang my damp cycling clothes on the cube wall until they are
    completely dry.

    I also have found that if you keep clean, odor does not become an issue.

    Another suggestion I have seen is to drive in to the office once a week,
    load your space with four sets of clothing for the week and remove last
    weeks soiled attire; this would be a good plan for someone who must wear
    a suit (no wrinkles).

    Rich

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Cully_J said:

    Hello all,

    I'm curious about what commuters - especially ones who wear suits - do to
    wash up when they get to work.

    Cully_J

    No suit here, in general. i ride in wearing weather-appropriate bikie
    clothes. I work in a pretty relaxed place, but i never ride in the clothes i
    work in. I fab'ed a little clothes rack where i hang (on hangers) my bike
    clothes and some of my work clothes. This keeps my bikie stuff from getting
    smelly by assuring they dry quickly. i give myself a couple of minutes to
    cool down if need be, no biggie; i don't bother with a towel or a shower,
    it's not at all needed.

    I have another out-of-the-way locker where i keep about 5~7 changes of
    clothes. I also keep a couple of nice sport coats and a collection of nice
    neckties for when Public Affairs photographers, hoi polloi, tours, or
    powerful washington dignitaries visit.

    I rotate and mix/match my stuff so i don't have to take my clothes home
    every week.

    Thus, i'm always neatly and smartly attired, don't smell like a goat and
    dress better than most of my cow orkers. You would absolutely never suspect
    i ride 9 miles at warp speed to work every day if you stopped in (except for
    the bike glove tan lines i get in the summer).

    The key is having a place to dry your bike clothes and a suitable place to
    _hang_ your work clothes. Pretty easy.

    ..max

  3. Richard B said:

    Another suggestion I have seen is to drive in to the office once a week,
    load your space with four sets of clothing for the week and remove last
    weeks soiled attire; this would be a good plan for someone who must wear a
    suit (no wrinkles).

    I know several people who do this. Some also drive one way, and ride the
    other, then the opposite the next day.

    Matt O.

  4. My practices are picked up by other reponses on this thread, so they need
    not be belabored. My advice: just do it and you'll figure out how soon
    enough!

    "Cully_J" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello all,

    I'm curious about what commuters - especially ones who wear suits - do to
    wash up when they get to work.

    Cully_J

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ron Wallenfang said:

    My practices are picked up by other reponses on this thread, so they need
    not be belabored. My advice: just do it and you'll figure out how soon
    enough!

    That's pretty much how it works.
    Necessity is a mother...

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  6. "Tom Keats" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ron Wallenfang said:

    My practices are picked up by other reponses on this thread, so they need
    not be belabored. My advice: just do it and you'll figure out how soon
    enough!

    That's pretty much how it works.
    Necessity is a mother...


    "Necessity is a mother...", Tom said inventively.

    Mike
    (yes, I should have resisted the urge to make this joke)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.