Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

7 speed cassette to a 9 or 10 speed?

Started by ChrisCarson · · Last activity · 8 posts · 851 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
13 August 2006
Last activity
14 August 2006
Original author
ChrisCarson
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
851
Views / 30 days
14

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. What's the procedure on changing a 7 speed cassette to say an 8 or even a 9 or a 10 speed cassette.

    If I'm removing a 7 speed, will a 9 or a 10 speed fit where the 7 used to be or is there more to it than that?

    For instance, will I have to change the hub to accommodate the new obviously wider 9 or 10 speed cassette, and will I have to buy new set of ders?

    Do 7 speed ders only accommodate 7 speed cassettes? So if I change to a 9 or 10 speed what else will I have to change........???

    What about the frame? Will the frame take the 9 or 10 speed?

    Many thanks for all replies.......:>😉

  2. I just finished updating a 91 vintage Schwinn. Al frame, 126mm dropout width, so fitting a modern 130mm hub in there is out of the question. I bought Ultegra 9sp crank, shifters and chain. I used a ultegra 12/27 cassette
    and removed the 14t cog. Eight cogs from a 9sp cassette will fit on a 7sp hub.The rear der shifts very nicely. The front needs a little trimming so I'm going to put an Ultegra front der on, maybe the throw is different.In any case I now have a nice Ultegra 8sp.

    A steel frame can be altered to accomodate a 130mm rear hub.

    7sp shifters will not work with a 9sp cassette unless in the friction mode.

    The rear der will work.

  3. It does depend on what type of hub you have, as there are some variations. Some hubs will accept the full 9/10 speed clusters. Your solution is probably going to be what Xsmoker has advised. If you go down the path of a new wheel, you should try someone elses in your frame to confirm if a new hub will fit your existing frame. Also you need a new chain as the 7/8s 9s & 10s are all different widths.

    Why don't you take it down to the LBS and ask them.

  4. ChrisCarson said:

    What's the procedure on changing a 7 speed cassette to say an 8 or even a 9 or a 10 speed cassette.

    If I'm removing a 7 speed, will a 9 or a 10 speed fit where the 7 used to be or is there more to it than that?

    For instance, will I have to change the hub to accommodate the new obviously wider 9 or 10 speed cassette, and will I have to buy new set of ders?

    Do 7 speed ders only accommodate 7 speed cassettes? So if I change to a 9 or 10 speed what else will I have to change........???

    What about the frame? Will the frame take the 9 or 10 speed?

    Many thanks for all replies.......:>😉


    To learn about the 8 of 9 on a 7 speed HyperGlide Cassette hub:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#up7
    To learn about making your steel frame go for 126 to 130 mm spacing:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

  5. Best advice above. 🙂

    Yes, firstly measure the rear dropout.
    Secondly is the "cassette" a CS or a MF? Most older 7 speeds will be MF, spin-on freehubs, so a new wheel will be the best option to go 9/10 speed.

    Xsmoker, thanks for the 7->8 CS conversion, I guess you could use a 9 speed shifter. 😉 There are a lot of new entry level bikes coming out with 7 speed CS hubs from Giant.

  6. Xsmoker said:

    I just finished updating a 91 vintage Schwinn. Al frame, 126mm dropout width, so fitting a modern 130mm hub in there is out of the question. I bought Ultegra 9sp crank, shifters and chain. I used a ultegra 12/27 cassette
    and removed the 14t cog. Eight cogs from a 9sp cassette will fit on a 7sp hub.The rear der shifts very nicely. The front needs a little trimming so I'm going to put an Ultegra front der on, maybe the throw is different.In any case I now have a nice Ultegra 8sp.

    A steel frame can be altered to accomodate a 130mm rear hub.

    7sp shifters will not work with a 9sp cassette unless in the friction mode.

    The rear der will work.

    I miss spoke when I stated that I took out the 14t cog. Actually I removed the 13t cog, which I rarely ride in anyway. But if this were a problem, and you didn't mind giving up the high end, you could use a 13t top position cog
    and end up with a closer pattern.

  7. Xsmoker said:

    I miss spoke when I stated that I took out the 14t cog. Actually I removed the 13t cog, which I rarely ride in anyway. But if this were a problem, and you didn't mind giving up the high end, you could use a 13t top position cog and end up with a closer pattern.

    I'll drop the 14, it will give 12,13,15,17,19,21,23,25. I'll probably use Deore SL-M511 shifters and BL-M511 brake levers, its for an entry level ladies bike (Giant Upland). Later she can have the rear hub replaced (Deore) and put the 14t back in and go 9 speed. 😉

    Edit: I just did a full parts list (Deore) for the upgrade.. :eek: $$

  8. Xsmoker said:

    I just finished updating a 91 vintage Schwinn. Al frame, 126mm dropout width, so fitting a modern 130mm hub in there is out of the question. I bought Ultegra 9sp crank, shifters and chain. I used a ultegra 12/27 cassette
    and removed the 14t cog. Eight cogs from a 9sp cassette will fit on a 7sp hub.The rear der shifts very nicely. The front needs a little trimming so I'm going to put an Ultegra front der on, maybe the throw is different.In any case I now have a nice Ultegra 8sp.

    A steel frame can be altered to accomodate a 130mm rear hub.

    7sp shifters will not work with a 9sp cassette unless in the friction mode.

    The rear der will work.

    A strange but true solution is that a 7s shimano shifter will index with a 9s shimano cassette IF you use a 2001-or newer Campagnolo derailleur (albeit only with 7 clicks--I have a bike set up like this with 7s downtube shifters and a 9s SRAM cassette/chain and I get the 7 clicks and friction shift the two largest cogs. The combination of the 7s shifter cable pull and the campy rear parallelogram moves the chain the correct amount to shift 9s shimano rear spacing. If you get a campy RD, you will be indexing again.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.