General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

4 berth tent recommendation sought

Started by Lisa · · Last activity · 20 posts · 196 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
4 April 2007
Last activity
12 April 2007
Original author
Lisa
Posts
20
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
196
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 20
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced 4 berth tent for occasional use only
    at UK campsites. Was originally looking at the Lichfield Cherokee 4 but as
    it's 27 years since I've been in a tent and have no idea regarding brands etc
    would appreciate any advice that's available.

  2. "Lisa" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced 4 berth tent for occasional use
    only
    at UK campsites. Was originally looking at the Lichfield Cherokee 4 but
    as
    it's 27 years since I've been in a tent and have no idea regarding brands
    etc
    would appreciate any advice that's available.

    Have a look at : www.outdoorworld.org.uk - and click on 4 berth tents.
    For occasional use something like the Vango Beta 450 might be OK for you -
    and they don't come much cheaper than that! We bought a two berth version
    for around £69 and it's still going strong after three years use.
    Cheers!

  3. We've been eyeing up the Outwell Trout Lake very covetously
    of late. £400 spondoolicks but it is a very well thought out and
    well built piece of kit. Ideal for car camping, IMO.

    Chris

    "Lisa" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced 4 berth tent for occasional use
    only
    at UK campsites. Was originally looking at the Lichfield Cherokee 4 but
    as
    it's 27 years since I've been in a tent and have no idea regarding brands
    etc
    would appreciate any advice that's available.

  4. Another vote for Vango here. I've had one of their three-man dome
    tents for a couple of years and, for the price, it's hard to beat.
    It's roomy, easy to erect, properly waterproof and cheap as chips.

    there's a reasonable selection of budget tents here if you want to
    browse some other makes..

    http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Outdoor_Megastore_4_Berth_Tents_44.html

  5. Quoted message said:

    Another vote for Vango here. I've had one of their three-man dome
    tents for a couple of years and, for the price, it's hard to beat.
    It's roomy, easy to erect, properly waterproof and cheap as chips.

    I've been thinking about getting a larger, but cheapish tent just for use on
    campsites, so weight isn't an issue, but waterproofness is, and I
    specifically want a three hoop tunnel design with a large porch. It also
    needs to be easy to erect single handed, since I'll usually be on my own.

    So is this Vango is the one to go for?
    http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Vango_Beta_250_Tunnel_Tent.html

    Or maybe the three man version for luxurious extra spaciousness? Or would
    that be too big for one person? It might come in handy for cramming in one
    or two extra people on rare occasions, or for socialising in the rain.
    http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Vango_Beta_350_Tunnel_Tent.html

    The only issue is that I'd like to use it year round (but only at low
    level), so would the fibreglass poles be a liability?

    Any better alternatives that don't cost a fortune?

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

  6. In article <[email hidden]>, Lisa
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced 4 berth tent for occasional use only
    at UK campsites. Was originally looking at the Lichfield Cherokee 4 but as
    it's 27 years since I've been in a tent and have no idea regarding brands etc
    would appreciate any advice that's available.

    I have two Wynnster Buzzard 4's relatively cheap but sturdy, spacious
    and well designed (hence I bought the second one to replace an old dome
    we used with the first).

    http://www.wynnsteroutdoorleisure.com/buzzard4.htm

    Available here for 99 pounds

    http://www.tentsandcamping.co.uk/acatalog/Wynnster.html

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  7. "Paul Saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Another vote for Vango here. I've had one of their three-man dome
    tents for a couple of years and, for the price, it's hard to beat.
    It's roomy, easy to erect, properly waterproof and cheap as chips.

    I've been thinking about getting a larger, but cheapish tent just for use
    on campsites, so weight isn't an issue, but waterproofness is, and I
    specifically want a three hoop tunnel design with a large porch. It also
    needs to be easy to erect single handed, since I'll usually be on my own.

    So is this Vango is the one to go for?
    http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Vango_Beta_250_Tunnel_Tent.html

    Or maybe the three man version for luxurious extra spaciousness? Or would
    that be too big for one person? It might come in handy for cramming in one
    or two extra people on rare occasions, or for socialising in the rain.
    http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Vango_Beta_350_Tunnel_Tent.html

    The only issue is that I'd like to use it year round (but only at low
    level), so would the fibreglass poles be a liability?

    Any better alternatives that don't cost a fortune?

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

    Paul, if you're looking for a bargain, try: http://www.millets.co.uk

    Eurohike's are great bargains, not great tents, but for you money can hardly
    beat it. I'v had mine for close to 10 years, paid £40 (I think) the
    following years was£30! And it's lasted well. I use it for summer or "not"
    windy conditions. I can leave it at the campsite without fear of it being
    stolen or damaged. Campsite tents "should" be cheap.

    Try the "pop-up" tents, must be great fun to have a tent pop up in 15
    seconds - luxury after a hard days walking ;-)

    Jhimmy

  8. "Paul Saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Another vote for Vango here. I've had one of their three-man dome
    tents for a couple of years and, for the price, it's hard to beat.
    It's roomy, easy to erect, properly waterproof and cheap as chips.

    I've been thinking about getting a larger, but cheapish tent just for use
    on campsites, so weight isn't an issue, but waterproofness is, and I
    specifically want a three hoop tunnel design with a large porch. It also
    needs to be easy to erect single handed, since I'll usually be on my own.

    So is this Vango is the one to go for?
    http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Vango_Beta_250_Tunnel_Tent.html


    I've been in one of the Vango tunnel tents - very spacious but the drawbacks
    were water resting on top ( unless you get them erected spot on you can get
    sag which is a great place for water to collect) and not very good in wind.
    It seemed to blow all over the place.

    Graham

  9. "Paul Saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] wrote:
    So is this Vango is the one to go for?


    http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Vango_Beta_350_Tunnel_Tent.html

    Quoted message said:

    Paul

    Actually, when I come to check, it's the three pole Beta tunnel that we've
    been happily using for the past three years. We've had no problems with it
    and we're taking it to Cornwall again next month for another fortnights
    holiday. We first erected it at Easter time on a site Back o' Keppoch when
    the weather was quite blowy and was pleasantly surprised how well it stood
    up to it. The porch is big enough to take a table and a couple of chairs to
    make life more comfortable and, so far, it's never let any water in. I
    reckon we've had more than our money's worth from it already. An absolute
    bargain.
    Cheers!

  10. Jhimmy said:

    Paul, if you're looking for a bargain, try: http://www.millets.co.uk

    Eurohike's are great bargains, not great tents, but for you money can
    hardly beat it.

    To be honest, I'm a bit wary of bargains. I bought a larger Pro-Action tent
    from Argos and it produced pools of water overnight on its first test pitch
    in the garden, so I took it straight back.

    Quoted message said:

    I'v had mine for close to 10 years, paid £40 (I
    think) the following years was£30! And it's lasted well. I use it
    for summer or "not" windy conditions.

    Well I'm thinking of year round use in any weather. Like a long winter break
    in Snowdonia for example, where I could chill out in luxury in the tent on
    the bad days.

    Quoted message said:

    I can leave it at the campsite
    without fear of it being stolen or damaged. Campsite tents "should"
    be cheap.

    My thoughts exactly.

    Quoted message said:

    Try the "pop-up" tents, must be great fun to have a tent pop up in 15
    seconds - luxury after a hard days walking ;-)

    Sounds appealing but I'd prefer something with a decent porch.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

  11. Graham Seed said:
    Quoted message said:

    So is this Vango is the one to go for?
    http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Vango_Beta_250_Tunnel_Tent.html


    I've been in one of the Vango tunnel tents - very spacious but the
    drawbacks were water resting on top ( unless you get them erected
    spot on you can get sag which is a great place for water to collect)
    and not very good in wind. It seemed to blow all over the place.

    Hmm... I've noticed that there are some dome/tunnel hybrids available, maybe
    something like this would be better? More stability and less sag from the
    dome, but still a big porch.
    http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Jamet_Choucas_2XL_Tunnel_Dome_Touring_Tent.html

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

  12. Runningfox said:
    Quoted message said:

    So is this Vango is the one to go for?


    http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Vango_Beta_350_Tunnel_Tent.html

    Actually, when I come to check, it's the three pole Beta tunnel that
    we've been happily using for the past three years. We've had no
    problems with it and we're taking it to Cornwall again next month for
    another fortnights holiday.

    So it's fully waterproof then? It needs to be able to handle proper rain.

    Quoted message said:

    We first erected it at Easter time on a
    site Back o' Keppoch when the weather was quite blowy and was
    pleasantly surprised how well it stood up to it. The porch is big
    enough to take a table and a couple of chairs to make life more
    comfortable and, so far, it's never let any water in. I reckon we've
    had more than our money's worth from it already. An absolute bargain.
    Cheers!

    I must admit that the thought of being able to put a table and chairs in it
    is a bonus, but do I really need something that big? One of my main concerns
    is how easy it is to pitch solo. The 350 looks like it might be a handful to
    pitch. Could you get a chair in the 250?

    I notice that Vango do an Omega range, similar to the Beta range but with
    alloy poles, which may be more appropriate for my intended winter use. They
    don't have a pic for the 250 version.
    http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Vango_Omega_350_Tunnel_Tent.html

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

  13. "Paul Saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Runningfox wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    So is this Vango is the one to go for?


    http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Vango_Beta_350_Tunnel_Tent.html


    So it's fully waterproof then? It needs to be able to handle proper rain.
    I must admit that the thought of being able to put a table and chairs in
    it is a bonus, but do I really need something that big? One of my main
    concerns is how easy it is to pitch solo. The 350 looks like it might be a
    handful to pitch. Could you get a chair in the 250?
    Paul

    So far Paul it's been fully waterproof, and it's been subjected to some
    vicious weather, not just in Scotland but in Cornwall too. I can't say
    whether you'd get a table and chairs in the 250 version, but the answer is
    probably 'Yes'. We can't quite stand up straight in ours, it's about 4" too
    low, so being able to use chairs is a bonus. We considerate it a bargain
    compared with the prices of our backpacking tents that cost nearly five
    times more.
    Cheers!

  14. "Paul Saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    So is this Vango is the one to go for?


    http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Vango_Beta_350_Tunnel_Tent.html


    Paul


    Ours is the older model, in dark blue, and there's no window in the porch.
    But basically the same.

  15. "Paul Saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Graham Seed said:
    Quoted message said:

    So is this Vango is the one to go for?
    http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Vango_Beta_250_Tunnel_Tent.html


    I've been in one of the Vango tunnel tents - very spacious but the
    drawbacks were water resting on top ( unless you get them erected
    spot on you can get sag which is a great place for water to collect)
    and not very good in wind. It seemed to blow all over the place.

    Hmm... I've noticed that there are some dome/tunnel hybrids available,
    maybe something like this would be better? More stability and less sag
    from the dome, but still a big porch.


    I personally would favour something like that as it looks like a more stable
    design. Having said that, the tunnel tent I slept in is quite an old tent
    now and has no doubt been superseeded by the Beta quoted above which
    Runningfox seems to be very happy with. Esentially, the design of three
    hoops in a row remains the same though, and while this layout is probably
    fine on a reasonably protected pitch it isn't the strongest use of three
    poles. It is probably the optimum use of the poles as far as space is
    concerned though, and if that were the only consideration perhaps most tents
    would be this shape?

    Graham

  16. On Apr 6, 10:04 pm, "Paul Saunders" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I notice that Vango do an Omega range, similar to the Beta range but with
    alloy poles, which may be more appropriate for my intended winter use. They
    don't have a pic for the 250 version.http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Vango_Omega_350_Tunnel_Ten...

    Try Vango's own site:

    http://www.vango.co.uk/products/tentsinfo.asp?typename=268

    That's the very model I've been looking at, albeit for site use rather
    than anything wild. Apparently, my insistence on having a double-size
    air-bed to sleep on means we need a 3-berth tent, but our primary need
    is for a decent porch area to sit in when the weather's poor. This
    model does have a permanent groundsheet (according to the blurb),
    which may preclude using the porch area for cooking, unless it can be
    rolled back somehow.

    If you're on your own, ease of erection would I imagine be a primary
    consideration. Anything above a breeze is going to give you trouble
    with any design that is really intended to have four hands at work
    simultaneously. Vango's pitching instructions don't really help much
    either way.

    --
    "

  17. Runningfox said:

    So far Paul it's been fully waterproof, and it's been subjected to
    some vicious weather, not just in Scotland but in Cornwall too.

    Well that's good to hear.

    Quoted message said:

    I
    can't say whether you'd get a table and chairs in the 250 version,
    but the answer is probably 'Yes'.

    I must get a chair and measure my height sitting on it.

    Quoted message said:

    We can't quite stand up straight
    in ours, it's about 4" too low, so being able to use chairs is a
    bonus. We considerate it a bargain compared with the prices of our
    backpacking tents that cost nearly five times more.

    Yeah, thanks.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

  18. Graham Seed said:

    I personally would favour something like that as it looks like a more
    stable design. Having said that, the tunnel tent I slept in is quite
    an old tent now and has no doubt been superseeded by the Beta quoted
    above which Runningfox seems to be very happy with. Esentially, the
    design of three hoops in a row remains the same though, and while
    this layout is probably fine on a reasonably protected pitch it isn't
    the strongest use of three poles. It is probably the optimum use of
    the poles as far as space is concerned though, and if that were the
    only consideration perhaps most tents would be this shape?

    Well as I say I'd only be using it on sites and if it were particularly
    windy I'd seek a sheltered pitch. I could always use the car to help protect
    it.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

  19. John Laird said:

    Try Vango's own site:

    http://www.vango.co.uk/products/tentsinfo.asp?typename=268

    Do you know, that looks like it could be exactly the same picture, and they
    may have used Photoshop trickery to colour the tent in a different colour!
    Even if not, both tents look the same size. Looking at the two and three man
    versions of their other tunnel tents, there's a clear difference, the two
    man version is narrower.

    Quoted message said:

    That's the very model I've been looking at, albeit for site use rather
    than anything wild.

    Same here.

    Quoted message said:

    Apparently, my insistence on having a double-size
    air-bed to sleep on means we need a 3-berth tent, but our primary need
    is for a decent porch area to sit in when the weather's poor.

    Indeed. And you could cram a few people in there too, in an emergency you
    could sleep two extra in the porch.

    Quoted message said:

    This
    model does have a permanent groundsheet (according to the blurb),
    which may preclude using the porch area for cooking, unless it can be
    rolled back somehow.

    I downloaded the instructions and it said something about "fitting" the
    groundsheet, so you probably can roll it back. Otherwise put something
    underneath the stove, like a metal tray.

    Quoted message said:

    If you're on your own, ease of erection would I imagine be a primary
    consideration. Anything above a breeze is going to give you trouble
    with any design that is really intended to have four hands at work
    simultaneously. Vango's pitching instructions don't really help much
    either way.

    Well my Nallo is a similar design, but without the big porch. The
    instructions are straightforward enough. Put the three poles in first, then
    put two pegs in at the back of the tent, then pull the front of the tent
    forward so that it takes shape and put two pegs in there. Then do all the
    other stuff.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

  20. On Apr 12, 11:13 pm, "Paul Saunders" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    John Laird said:

    Try Vango's own site:

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.vango.co.uk/products/tentsinfo.asp?typename=268

    Do you know, that looks like it could be exactly the same picture, and they
    may have used Photoshop trickery to colour the tent in a different colour!

    LOL. Well spotted ! I think it's probably an attempt to show the two
    colours that the larer tent is available in. It's clearly not the 2-
    man version which is noticeably smaller (over a foot shorter in
    height, for one thing).

    In another post, you suggest you may have to measure your own height
    when sat in a chair. Do take photos of this exercise !

    --
    "The buck doesn't even slow down here."

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.