rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

3 mile Muni vs 30 mile Cokering for exercise

Started by MuniAddict · · Last activity · 22 posts · 813 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
9 June 2007
Last activity
11 June 2007
Original author
MuniAddict
Posts
22
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
813
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 22
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm just wondering about the the exercise factor when it comes to, say a
    30 mile coker ride along a mostly flat, smooth bike path that takes
    about 3 - 3 1/2 hours to complete at a fairly consistent but
    comfortable speed, vs a 3 mile, extremely technical, all out MUni ride
    that takes only about 35 minutes to complete.

    So for 35 minutes, I've got my heart rate near maximum, and I'm doing
    some very steep ups & downs, working very hard and feeling like I'm
    getting a substantial workout. Then, on another day, I'm taking it
    pretty easy on the coker, doing 30 miles on flat, smooth ground and
    hardly even working up a sweat.

    So, If I were to do this type of MUni or Coker for 5 days per week,
    which ride would be more physically benificial overall? Of course, the
    ideal, imo, would be to alternate *both* types of riding, maybe Muni 3
    days and coker 2, but I'm just curious so I thought I'd ask
    opinions.😎

    --
    MuniAddict

    "On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
    man."😉

    My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

    My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniAddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12920
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61560

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  2. muni would definitely be the better workout from your options. however
    if you stepped up the speed and effort put into your coker ride, then
    you could make it pretty even. i would say alternate though, hard muni
    on monday, wednesday, and friday, easier cokering on tuesday and
    thursday.

    --
    zfreak220

    '4-7-2007 RIP Johnny Hart' (http://tinyurl.com/3ykmht)
    KH fund: $166.33/$371.49-$205.16 left (If AE bike will still sell them
    that low)
    or
    DX fund: $166.33/$249.99-$83.66 left
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    zfreak220's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11948
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61560

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  3. theoretically, the coker ride would be better to build up your
    cardiovascular health. On the other hand, the 30 minutes of muni is
    more likely to build muscular strength. It all depends on what you're
    trying to accomplish.

    --
    banjo_gun_snake_wheels

    John
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    banjo_gun_snake_wheels's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15039
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61560

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  4. MuniAddict said:

    Overall, the coker ride is pretty non-strenuous.

    I think you've answered your own question here.

    Just my view, but repetition does little for fitness if it's not
    accompanied by cardio workout. If your 30 mile coker ride includes
    powering up a few hills, intervals style, so you get your heart rate
    into a higher zone, then you might have a better comparison. But if
    you're "Sunday Driving" on your Coker, fuggetaboutit.

    I proved this to myself after some great training advice from Nathan H:
    "train the hills, and the distance will take care of itself." The
    first year I did the MS 150, I trained a boatload of miles, mostly on
    flat trails. Got to the event, and the hills killed me. The next
    year, I spent most of my training time working hills, not paying as
    much attention to distance. Got to the event, and not only rode
    further than ever before, but pounded all the hills that gave me a hard
    time the year prior.

    --
    tomblackwood

    Tailgate at your own risk...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tomblackwood's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3762
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61560

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  5. tomblackwood said:

    I think you've answered your own question here.

    Just my view, but repetition does little for fitness if it's not
    accompanied by cardio workout. If your 30 mile coker ride includes
    powering up a few hills, intervals style, so you get your heart rate
    into a higher zone, then you might have a better comparison. But if
    you're "Sunday Driving" on your Coker, fuggetaboutit.

    I proved this to myself after some great training advice from Nathan H:
    "train the hills, and the distance will take care of itself." The
    first year I did the MS 150, I trained a boatload of miles, mostly on
    flat trails. Got to the event, and the hills killed me. The next
    year, I spent most of my training time working hills, not paying as
    much attention to distance. Got to the event, and not only rode
    further than ever before, but pounded all the hills that gave me a hard
    time the year prior.

    Yeah, 100% of my cokering will pretty much be ridden on the 50 miles (25
    each way) of beautiful bike path that stretches from Malibu to
    Torrance, CA!

    It's not an endurance test really for anything but my crotch!:eek:
    Still i can't help thinking that the _many_ _thousands_ of revolutions
    covering 30 miles would *still* provide at least some physical benifit.
    If not, then I guess I'm just "spinning my wheels!"😉

    --
    MuniAddict

    "On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
    man."😉

    My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

    My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniAddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12920
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61560

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  6. I think the muni would be a "better" workout if you had to pick just
    one. 30 minutes out on the trails and you can be assured I've used a
    lot more muscles than I would had I ridden on a smooth street. Just
    think about what it does for your core and arms. Especially when you
    probably freemount a lot more often on the trails than on the street.
    And even when I am in the woods out of the sun I sweat a lot more and
    breath a lot heavier.

    I think pavement riding can be really beneficial to your cardio
    depending on the level you take it. To make it a better workout though
    the route should include hills like Tomblackwood mentioned. It should
    also include plenty of turns (speaking from experience from riding
    straight smooth rail trails here.. very few turns at all 🙁 ), and I
    would think every now and then dismounting and mounting again as part
    of the training.

    but I'm really just throwing out stuff from my own limited experience.

    edited to add: of course we are talking about Terry.. someone
    experienced at unicycling on the street and on the trails. A "ride in
    the park" for some of us once upon a time WAS a tremendous workout. I
    remember my heart beating in my throat numerous times as I just tried
    to stay up!" So judging the workout also would have to include not
    just what workout.. but whose..

    --
    Unibugg

    Into the blue said:

    You should see this fella ride up kerbs. He makes it look annoyingly
    easy.
    Ants make me UPD.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unibugg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14480
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61560

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  7. Hey Terry, I'm think I'm going to say that, though the coker ride would
    be better for cardio, the muni ride would probably take the coker ride
    in terms of brute short-term power output training.

    They're really two completely different kinds of training. When I'm on
    my bike I'll easily go 90-100 miles, but those 90-100 miles are in a
    gear where I actually have some good resistance, allowing me to put out
    180-220 watts for an extended period of time, which is where the
    workout is. My heart rate may only be 120-140 the whole time, but it's
    definitely raised, and I'm definitely hammering pretty hard to keep
    speed up. I would say that a long bike ride like that is definitely
    more similar to the coker ride than the muni ride, but on the coker,
    you're stuck in a 36-inch "gear", probably limited to 50-70 watts of
    average wheel-to-ground power output, plus maybe 20-30% extra effort in
    order to keep your balance. On the bike you can hang in the 30s-40s for
    climbing (high cadence, power-spin!), 80s for flat speed, and even
    100-140 if you're feeling like a god for the moment, allowing you to
    actually crank out more physical work, in the strictest sense,
    force-distance units at your pedals. On the coker, without getting your
    cadence through the roof, it's impossible to work yourself out! That
    said, I think the coker ride is mostly useless unless you either put in
    long, long distance or get a Schlumpf hub and frame and ride in 54"
    mode to force yourself put out more power.

    Riding a unicycle cruelly limits you in how hard you can work yourself
    at reasonable cadences. Go geared (which, even then, may not be enough)
    or climb hills. You'll need to find the right hill for optimum effect
    because you can't shift. In a 36" gear, probably an 8-10-percent grade,
    six or so if your strength isn't quite there yet; that's what you'd
    want to do if you're going to train road. If you do do that... climb
    hills all the time, etc, you'll have legs of steel and will be able to
    power through just about anything at really high output for a long
    time. Which brings me to the muni ride...

    My problem with the muni ride is that it's only 35 minutes long.
    Granted, it may be an (exceptionally!) intense 35 minutes, but as far
    as a "workout" goes, it should be far longer, probably at least into
    the 1-2 hour range. The muni ride will get your heart rate up into the
    sky, but it's because you're doing obstacles, rough stuff, pounding all
    over the place, standing up, etc. The muni ride will really help your
    ability to maintain fast, intense stuff for minutes at a time (like, if
    you're going to max yourself out for three to five minutes at a time),
    but I wouldn't say it would increase your ability to simply put out RAW
    POWER at any time you need it. It's great general conditioning, but
    you're not going to become a mad sprinter or hill climber doing it.
    Thing is... if you DO become a great sprinter or mad hill climber, what
    the muni riding will do for you is to allow you to get your heart rate
    down more quickly after powering, and it will allow you to keep up an
    almost-sprint level of output for much longer.

    You actual ability to crank out power at any given time, though, like,
    how hard you can push when you're fresh, and what kind of foot-on-pedal
    force from your leg relates to what kind of perceived effort in your
    brain, will come from high-gear/uphill coker riding (or, if you really
    want a quantifiably intense road-based workout, a road bike where you
    can always choose a hard/optimal gear for good resistance at high
    cadence). Unless you're climbing, on a coker, you can have all the
    cadence you want, but you're not going to get the ability to acutally
    push hard at that cadence, because a 36" wheel (and perhaps even a 54"😉
    just isn't big enough. The 54 would definitely be big enough to get you
    a good long-distance flat-ground aerobic workout though, if cadence
    stays up.

    I'm sorry I'm so long winded... I've thought about this a lot myself
    (and actually experimented with it and spoken with a bunch of people
    about it). But my basic point is... think about what kind of absolute
    foot-to-pedal wattage feels like in terms of the way you perceive how
    "hard you're pushing"... that's going to be amped up by doing hills on
    your coker. Now think about, when you open your throttle and start
    powering for a given amount of time, how long it takes you to feel the
    burn in your lungs, heart, head, (and perhaps legs, but not always) and
    at what level of fatigue you let yourself crack; the muni riding will
    postpone that burn and allow you to put up with more of it before your
    body's incessant, most likely painful, complaining forces your mind to
    give it a rest.

    If you can, climb hills in a tough (but aerobically friendly) gear on
    your road bike (if you have one) and keep your RPM up with a heavy
    gear. Do that a lot, and that'd be even better than the coker riding
    for upping your ability to just put out power.

    If you're going to rely on muni riding for core strength and cardio
    (which is what I think it's best for, contrary to muscle, as many here
    have said... unless there is substantial climbing) then I'd make sure
    the muni ride lasts at least an hour, preferably an hour and a half or
    two, and keep your heart rate above 130 the whole time with a break in
    the middle... maybe 5 or 10 minutes at 130 and 5 or 10 minutes at
    160-170 if the terrain will allow you to manage getting your heart rate
    that high (flat terrain, unless you're really spinning FAST, won't and
    shouldn't get your heart rate to 170). That's really good core and
    cardio, and the punishment will allow you to take more in the future.

    If you're wanting to increase how much power output you get out a given
    perceived effort, ride your coker on as many hills as you can find, or
    grab a road bike and shove it in a good gear (probably better than the
    coker). The best RPMs to do that in are in the 80-100 range, so just
    take as hard a gear as you can possibly do without letting your cadence
    drop below 80 or so. Likewise, if you're on a coker, take as hard a
    hill as you can without letting your cadence drop. And when I say hill,
    I mean at least a half mile or so, though one and a half to three would
    be better. Going for a flat coker ride with three or four 200-yard
    hills isn't going to get you very far. 🙂 If your cadence goes too low
    during a climb, shift down! And if you're already in first gear and
    your cadence drops uncontrollably, go home! And if you're on your coker
    and your cadence hits rock bottom, suck it up or find a shallower
    grade. 🙂 (But always make sure you're on a steep enough hill to have
    to crank the pedals to keep your cadence going... it shouldn't feel
    like it's going by itself.) That will get your legs beefed up in a
    hurry, so that you'll get a bunch of power for what doesn't feel like
    much effort. Then the muni riding can make it so you can use that
    power-power-power repeatedly without bonking halfway through your
    ride.

    Okay, I'm done now, I promise. 🙂

    All that said, I'd alternate the ride. Longer muni ride, steeper or
    geared up coker ride. They both have their place, they both will help
    you out if you do them right, and, they're both probably buttloads of
    fun!

    --
    chuckaeronut
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    chuckaeronut's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14677
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61560

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  8. I know that I've essentially argued that muni is better for cardio and
    road is better for muscle, but if you want something smooth and great
    for cardio, road is the way to go. Just go longer and flatter! And muni
    with mad hilliage could be just as good as road for sheer power output,
    but the hills would have to be very long and more or less regular in
    order to peg yourself at your aerobic threshold. I'd say, though, that
    finding a good long hill and cokering up it at high cadence with good
    force would be better than most muni, because the hills are shorter and
    more breaks are taken because of falls, rocks, hops, etc, all of which
    get your heart rate up, but let your legs rest. It all just depends on
    what you want to do. For strength and ability to crank HARD, make sure
    to keep your force*cadence up without stopping whether you're on road
    or mountain (but road is more conducive to that kind of activity), and
    for heart rate, just punish yourself on your muni. That'll allow you to
    just suck [censored] up and keep powering with side cramps, a burning heart,
    and a chest that's about to collapse. But the powering comes from
    consistent, long-ish streams of power output, which is far less likely
    to be interrupted on a road hill than on a trail.

    --
    chuckaeronut
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    chuckaeronut's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14677
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61560

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  9. Wow those were long, thougtfull posts! Thanks for your input. There's no
    doubt in my mind that the 5 days in a row I put in *every* week riding
    my local muni trail has put me in--and keeps me in--tip top shape. 🙂

    I think maybe the best way for me to look at this is: Muni for a
    kick-ass workout, and cokering for fun!😄 Afterall, isn't that one of
    the MAIN reasons we ride? And now that I've added 20-50 extra riding
    miles to my regular weekly riding schedule, that has to be a good
    thing! Oh, btw, the 90+ miles of biking you do is easier, partly
    because you can "coast" and you have gears to help you climb. I pedal
    _every_inch_ I go!😄

    --
    MuniAddict

    "On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
    man."😉

    My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

    My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniAddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12920
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61560

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  10. MuniAddict said:

    Oh, btw, the 90+ miles of biking you do is easier, partly because you
    can "coast" and you have gears to help you climb. I pedal _every_inch_
    I go!😄

    that is not allways the case. on a road bike when you are going on a
    flat road and turning a big gear most of the time you are pedaling. you
    only stop pedaling to strech or take a break.

    --
    rab2009
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rab2009's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14533
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61560

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  11. joemarshall said:

    I've recently done about 600 miles of road biking, and I have to say,
    road biking is *much* harder than coker riding if you do them for the
    same time. So if you road bike for an hour working as hard as you can,
    it'll be harder than if you coker. I did some of our local 45km races,
    and doing that in just over an hour is harder even than muni-ing for an
    hour, because when you're muni-ing, you at least have some points when
    you're not powering and you can relax slightly.

    Over the same distance though, biking is much easier, there is a weekly
    bunch ride here that is 50-60 miles, and that isn't too hard to do in
    about 2.5-3 hours in the evening, whereas 60 miles on a uni is usually
    hard work.

    Having said that though, the road bike speeds aren't far from the top
    end of coker riding, the average for the fast guys in our races is
    about 25mph. With short cranks and a stock coker, there are a few
    people out there who could realistically do about 20mph for a fair
    time. If you could get that consistent at that kind of speed, you'd
    probably be getting a similar kind of workout to the road bikers.

    Joe

    It would seem much more of an overall workout to ride a coker 600 miles,
    than a road bike, but that's just how it seems to me. Having never done
    either (and not planning on it) I may be wrong, 600 miles on either is
    no cake walk! And that 25 mph you mentioned on a coker I would imagine
    would be mostly on level or near level ground. I can't see anybody
    maintaining that high speed for any length of time on a coker while
    climbing! But, again.....😄

    --
    MuniAddict

    "On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
    man."😉

    My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

    My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniAddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12920
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61560

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  12. im sure that the muni ride is much more fun...go with that😉

    --
    hobo_chuck

    😕
    its not easy being gold!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hobo_chuck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14113
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61560

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  13. MuniAddict said:

    It would seem much more of an overall workout to ride a coker 600 miles,
    than a road bike, but that's just how it seems to me. Having never done
    either (and not planning on it) I may be wrong, 600 miles on either is
    no cake walk! And that 25 mph you mentioned on a coker I would imagine
    would be mostly on level or near level ground. I can't see anybody
    maintaining that high speed for any length of time on a coker while
    climbing! But, again.....😄

    It's okay, I didn't do the 600 miles all in one go, was over a few
    weeks (4 weeks I think), not masses of riding, but enough to get used
    to the bike.

    For the same distance and time, coker will be harder. But in reality
    the time people have is more often constant than the distance. So if
    you have say 3 hours to ride, if you rode 60 miles on a road bike,
    you'd be working harder than riding 30 miles on a coker in the same
    time.

    And yeah, the 25mph is on the flat. I don't think anyone could average
    it on coker yet for any distance, but 20mph some people might be close
    to. For people who can spin that fast, I don't think they're so limited
    in terms of power output as most of us normal people, maybe they are
    getting similar exercise to road bikers.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall

    my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    joemarshall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1545
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61560

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  14. What's really important is how many bikini-clad ladies you will film for
    us on your rides 😉

    --
    habbywall

    'The Best Juggling Ballz in the World!!' (http://www.gballz.com)
    'This is your invite.' (http://www.lost.eu/20fab)
    'A PM a day keeps the doctor away. ' (http://tinyurl.com/2yxu3o)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    habbywall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10260
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61560

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  15. habbywall said:

    What's really important is how many bikini-clad ladies you will film for
    us on your rides 😉

    😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

    --
    MuniAddict

    "On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
    man."😉

    My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

    My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniAddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12920
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61560

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  16. I think it's safe to say that pegging yourself at 25mph on a road bike
    for thirty minutes is much, much harder than pegging yourself at 13mph
    on a coker for the same amount of time.

    I rode down to San Diego from the bay area in five days about nine
    months ago; my mileages were 100,120,103,185,95 each day, averaging
    between 19 and 22 each day. It'd have taken me at least two times as
    long on a coker, but throughout the entire time I would never be
    working as hard as I would have been working on the bike. If you're
    trying to keep up a constant, fast pace over a flat stretch, you're
    pedalling every inch of the way, no questions asked, and it's
    measurably and provably a better workout than the coker ride, where the
    power output you can reasonably get from your legs is limited.

    I envy the people who can spin at 120-130 RPM for extended periods of
    time, because they have the ability to put out mad power through their
    cadence rather than through the physical strength of their legs, which
    allows them to sustain far higher wattages than me because they can use
    (almost) the same gear, when I ride at about 100. However, even on a
    coker, at 120 RPM, you're going thirteen miles per hour, which doesn't
    equate to nearly enough resistance to get good power training in. It's
    just... absurd. 🙂 At 120 RPM, for a respectable rider, 24-26 mph
    should be the equilibrium speed depending on bike and the rider's
    position in the wind. Maybe even 27... 120 RPM on a road bike is a damn
    nice cadence. Personally, I usually cruise at 24 MPH at 90 RPM in a
    relatively big gear. When I crank up to 120 RPM, it doesn't *feel* at
    all difficult to hold 27-28 miles per hour, but I can only do so for a
    few miles at a time because my heart rate takes off with the cadence.

    Muni is wonderful for core, cardio, and general punishment factor, but
    the legs are used very sporadically. Yes, intensely, but also
    sporadically, with no real constant level of power output, which is
    what really cranks them into shape for mad endurance and wattage.

    Muni may put you in wonderful shape, but I think that kind of shape
    manifests itself in the ability to be a glutton for punishment and keep
    on ticking, where as coker/schlumpf climbing and road bike LSD (long
    steady distance) and climbing intervals are the way to signficantly and
    quantifiably increase the amount of power that can be had from your
    legs for each given amount of perceived effort. The exercise under
    controlled conditions (i.e. road and optimal gearing for max sustained
    output) literally makes you more powerful, whereas muni makes you more
    able to suck it up and keep rocking and rolling.

    And yeah, Joe, that's totally awesomely right... being able to spin a
    coker to 20mph and sustain it is definitely a better workout than
    spinning a bike in a more optimal gear at 20mph, because you're less
    efficient outside of the 80-100 RPM range (or whatever range your body
    likes) and the same wattage is required to keep speed. It's also a
    better workout, even, than choosing a gear on the bike such that you
    have an equivalent to a 36" gear and matching cadence, because on the
    coker, balance is required. However, assuming you're not in top gear,
    speed on the bike can always go up given any cadence, so you can always
    crank the bike into a bigger gear, maintain cadence, and increase your
    power output proportionally. The bigger the gear you can handle, the
    steeper the hill you can climb on a muni OR on a coker once you get off
    the bike.

    I think the general point is that for a given performance (i.e. a given
    distance, speed, or cadence), a unicycle is undoubtedly more difficult
    than a bike, but the fact is that the bike allows you to do so much
    more than the unicycle in order to optimize your workout. If the
    unicycle is 3/2 as difficult as a bike for a task of magnitude X, the
    bike allows you to do a task of magnitude 3X, resulting ... you get the
    picture. After cranking into shape on the bike, the benefits spill over
    into endurance and hill climbing power on the unicycle in ways that
    would be unattainable (or very difficult to attain) if the unicycle was
    used as the only method of training.

    I don't think anything can match muni, though, in terms of sheer
    full-body tiredness and a general feeling of being thrashed. I can
    thrash my legs far better on my road bike than I can on my Torker DX in
    the hills, but on my DX, my whole body is thrashed, whereas on my bike,
    it's all focused on my legs. Muni, Coker, and road bike all have their
    place.

    --
    chuckaeronut

    Cycling: It doesn't get easier; you just get faster.
    Unicycling: It doesn't get easier; you just do tougher stuff.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    chuckaeronut's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14677
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61560

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  17. chuckaeronut said:

    ...but the fact is that the bike allows you to do so much more than the
    unicycle in order to optimize your workout. If the unicycle is 3/2 as
    difficult as a bike for a task of magnitude X, the bike allows you to
    do a task of magnitude 3X, resulting ... you get the picture. After
    cranking into shape on the bike, the benefits spill over into endurance
    and hill climbing power on the unicycle in ways that would be
    unattainable (or very difficult to attain) if the unicycle was used as
    the only method of training.

    Hmmm, do we have a traitor in our midst?😉😉😉

    --
    MuniAddict

    "On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
    man."😉

    My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

    My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniAddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12920
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61560

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  18. Hehehehehe, I think you're misapplying what I've said about cokering vs.
    road biking to apply to mountain. Hardcore muni is WAY harder than
    mountain biking. Fact is, though, which is what I said, for a
    consistent, significant, road workout on flat ground or with a flat
    average, the road bike takes the cake for workout potential. On
    roller-hills in the mountains, the mountain bike can be (and, depending
    on the rider and intensity, usually is) way easier than a muni. Oh,
    -heall naw-, I didn't say Muni was easier than mtb. 🙂

    Try a 100-200 mile road bike ride some time, at a good, strong pace...
    with some climbs in there... on a road bike whose smallest gear is a
    39/23 * 700c, which is like a 45" wheel. Once you do, you'll see why
    even a 50 mile bike workout can wipe you out if you do it right. In
    response to your claim that gears help me climb hills on 90-mile road
    rides, how is climbing on a 45" gear easier than climbing on a 36, even
    when in fact the hills usually get tackled in 60+ inch gears? (I grant
    that the balancing factor on the 36 makes it more difficult, but not up
    to the point of it being 45"- and definitely not 60"- difficult) 🙂

    I (and Joe too) kill your argument for the superiority of the coker for
    road training, and you fall back and say that Muni is harder than
    mountain biking, quoting the only part of my post that doesn't mention
    roads, implicitly claiming you were right all along. Hehehehehehe. This
    forum game is fun. If I [censored] you off, let me know, because in my mind
    I'm arguing trying to hold back laughing with a big grin on my face. I
    really don't want to make anyone angry. 🙂

    I think that if you try some consistent, high-cadence, long (at least
    20 minutes at a time), uninterrupted, aerobic-threshold-max,
    large-geared (not easily geared 🙂) hill climbs on a bike (or, if you
    have the right hill, coker) and do them regularly, you'll notice a big
    improvement in your ability to put out power. Muni will allow you to
    take punishment and force yourself to keep pushing through pain.
    Cokering with resistance and cycling doing intervals and distance in
    optimal gears will allow you to get a hell of a lot more raw output out
    of yourself before a given amount of pain will even occur.

    As a note, please don't let my remarks make you think that I believe
    I'm better than you. I really don't. Your abilities to drops and to
    jump are well beyond mine, as is your age. I'm "THIRTY YEARS younger!"
    (!!!!1!!1!!1one!!1) than you, and, in all honesty, I hope to be in the
    kind of shape you are when I'm 50. I think that your ability to output
    power could be vastly improved (and quickly!) with some consistent hill
    climbing (on a bike or coker) and speed-cruising (23+mph if you're
    doing well) for long distances on a bike with consistent, fast cadence.
    I also think that muni is irreplaceable as training for muni, because
    there's nothing else quite like it, and the degree to which it tears up
    your body if you're not prepared is nothing a road bike can tackle.
    That said, since when did more wattage-bang for your effort-buck become
    a problem? I think consistent, optimized, power training can increase
    that fundamental number, watts per effort percentage, faster than muni
    can, of course, ASSUMING you're already in shape to muni your ass off
    and survive to do it again the next day. 🙂

    Enjoy your night!

    --
    chuckaeronut

    Cycling: It doesn't get easier; you just get faster.
    Unicycling: It doesn't get easier; you just do tougher stuff.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    chuckaeronut's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14677
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61560

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  19. hobo_chuck said:

    im sure that the muni ride is much more fun...go with that😉

    Or he could get an off-road tyre for his coker so he can experience
    both worlds. 😄 😄

    --
    Hazmat

    *1 weird greek cypriot australian destined to be different.*

    *The Hazmat Poll*: *Please vote* 😄
    http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59458
    *Hazmats Unicycle Design/Creation competition*. 😄
    http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60806
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hazmat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13828
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61560

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  20. C o k e r M U n i ( M o n s t e r M U n i )
    Great for building strength, stamina, muscle as well as riding
    skills!!!!!:eek:

    C o k e r S t r e e t
    A great way to chill out and have fun on ONE!!!🙂

    --
    JustOneWheel

    There is no better way to have Fun and Exercise. "UNICYCLE"
    Every one should have "FUN ON ONE"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    JustOneWheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9237
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61560

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.