Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

26X1 tires for my current rims

Started by jpaul · · Last activity · 8 posts · 1,359 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
14 January 2004
Last activity
17 January 2004
Original author
jpaul
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,359
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm trying to put the narrowest tire on my current mountain bike rims. I know 26x1.25 will fit, but I'd like to use 26x1. The size stated on one of my rims is 559x17. My other rim is slightly larger, maybe 559x19. Will the 26x1 fit, or will it be too narrow?

    Thanks

  2. On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 18:53:40 GMT, jpaul

    may have said:

    I'm trying to put the narrowest tire on my current mountain bike rims. I know 26x1.25 will fit, but
    I'd like to use 26x1. The size stated on one of my rims is 559x17. My other rim is slightly larger,
    maybe 559x19. Will the 26x1 fit, or will it be too narrow?

    By road bike standards, assuming the 26x1.0 tire has a 25mm width, the 19mm could be a bit wide, but
    I think you won't have a problem.

    See sheldonbrown.comtire sizing.html

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something,
    it's also possible that I'm busy.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  3. jpaul said:

    I'm trying to put the narrowest tire on my current mountain bike rims. I know 26x1.25 will fit,
    but I'd like to use 26x1. The size stated on one of my rims is 559x17. My other rim is slightly
    larger, maybe 559x19. Will the 26x1 fit, or will it be too narrow?

    Try:

    sheldonbrown.comtire sizing.html

  4. Werehatrack said:
    jpaul may have said:

    I'm trying to put the narrowest tire on my current mountain bike rims. I know 26x1.25 will fit,
    but I'd like to use 26x1. The size stated on one of my rims is 559x17. My other rim is slightly
    larger, maybe 559x19. Will the 26x1 fit, or will it be too narrow?

    By road bike standards, assuming the 26x1.0 tire has a 25mm width, the 19mm could be a bit wide,
    but I think you won't have a problem.

    See sheldonbrown.comtire sizing.html

    ISO size specification uses the distance across the _insides_ of the rim edges to determine width.
    559x19 is almost certainly more than an inch across.

    However, the 26x1 tire is almost certainly _less_ than an inch across, like most 25mm nominal
    size tires.

    Used together, the ride will be harsh and the rim at risk of damage from bottoming out. Better to
    use on of the many fine tires in the 26x1.25/1.3 category.

    Chalo Colina

  5. jpaul-<< I'm trying to put the narrowest tire on my current mountain bike rims. I know 26x1.25 will
    fit, but I'd like to use 26x1. The size stated on one of my rims is 559x17. My other rim is slightly
    larger, maybe 559x19. Will the 26x1 fit, or will it be too narrow? >><BR><BR>

    They will work. We have some Conti-26 inch but 23mm...

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  6. Actual sizes may vary: Pasela 1.25=29mm Tom slick1.0=26mm Conti1.0=23+ all measured on bontrager
    mustang (22) o.d. rim My pick is the 240gm pasela, kicks roadie butt. Tom

    --
    Bruni Bicycles
    "Where art meets science"
    brunibicycles.com
    410.426.3420
    Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    jpaul-<< I'm trying to put the narrowest tire on my current mountain bike


    rims.

    Quoted message said:

    I
    know 26x1.25 will fit, but I'd like to use 26x1. The size stated on one
    of my rims is 559x17. My other rim is slightly larger, maybe 559x19.
    Will the 26x1 fit, or will it be too narrow? >><BR><BR>

    They will work. We have some Conti-26 inch but 23mm...

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    vecchios.comvecchios.com
    "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  7. .....hmmm, might be able to get away with the Schwalbe Stelvio 25-559 (26x1) 115 PSI. Nice tire.

    Gene

  8. Gene Domenici said:

    .....hmmm, might be able to get away with the Schwalbe Stelvio 25-559 (26x1) 115 PSI. Nice tire.

    I have those on a Birdy folding bike with 18" wheels, and they are a *huge* improvement over the
    standard Birdy tire. Spendy, but they seem to roll very well. I have no idea if these are carbon
    rubber or silica rubber, nor how they do in the rain.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.