rec.bicycles.rides · Public discussion

2005 Tour de France

Started by John Metsy · · Last activity · 8 posts · 667 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.rides
Published
3 January 2005
Last activity
7 January 2005
Original author
John Metsy
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
667
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am keen to go and watch some of the 2005 Tour de France

    Are there any good news groups where I can find out about where are good
    places to watch. And just what is the best way to make the most of a
    once-in-a-lifetime chance.

    Thanks
    John

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    John Metsy said:

    Are there any good news groups where I can find out about where are good
    places to watch. And just what is the best way to make the most of a
    once-in-a-lifetime chance.

    The best places to watch are at the tops of the big mountain climbs.
    Plan on getting there very early; the real fans will be camped out for days.

  3. I went to the 2004 Tour for the last 10 days with 3 friends and had a great
    time.

    This is a good newsgroup to ask specific questions. There are several people
    who will respond with good answers.

    As far as how to plan I can only tell you what we did. Once the course
    details are out, you can start to plan where you should stay during your
    stay. During the mountain stages you can choose a central location such as
    Grenoble for the Alps. We got a hotel in that area for 4 nights and used
    that as a base. Then plan which stages you want to see. We went to stages
    finishes in Nimes, Villard de Lans, Alp D'Hues and Paris. We also rode to a
    mountain section of stage 17 and watched the race go by and the same with
    the time trial in Besancon.

    If you are there to ride you have to balance rides with the race schedule.
    We wanted to ride Mt Ventoux and had to do this on the day after Nimes,
    which was a rest day for the riders. Some would prefer to go to the place
    where the riders are staying and try to see their favorites.

    The basic '05 route is out so you should be able to start planning.
    Eventually the Tour website will have to detailed information out and you
    can plan where to ride to meet the course.

    You should also consider using a planned tour. BikeStyle Tours looks like a
    great outfit. I was planning to go with them and had to cancel when it
    looked like I wasn't going to be able to go. I saw their group a couple of
    times and they seemed to be having a great time.

    Good Luck! I wish I could afford to go back this year.

    "John Metsy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am keen to go and watch some of the 2005 Tour de France

    Are there any good news groups where I can find out about where are good
    places to watch. And just what is the best way to make the most of a
    once-in-a-lifetime chance.

    Thanks
    John

  4. On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 07:30:51 GMT in rec.bicycles.rides, "John

    Metsy said:

    I am keen to go and watch some of the 2005 Tour de France

    Are there any good news groups where I can find out about where are good
    places to watch. And just what is the best way to make the most of a
    once-in-a-lifetime chance.


    How much do you have to spend, and how much time? I found that
    following the last 2 weeks of the '04 Tour was very tiring, since
    I was doing a lot of driving every day. I want to go back to
    France again, and I'm very glad I was there to see Lance win his
    6th, but France is just too hot for me in July.

    Best places to actually see the race is at or near the top of
    hill climbs. You can rarely see much at most finishes or starts,
    and on the flats they move so fast that they're gone in a few
    seconds.

    The roads close early, and the mountain climbs are lined wall to
    wall with motor homes. There really *were* a million people on
    Alpe d'Huez, and all of them seemed to appear at *my* corner
    after I had been camped there for 3 days!

    The staffs of the Tour, the sponsors, and all the sportscasters
    suck up almost all the reasonably priced hotel rooms. Velonews
    publishes a guide in June with all the details, but I didn't find
    one until a few hours before my plane left Seattle in July.

    Read Bob Roll's "Tour de France Companion" for a lot of good
    tips.

    Europe will be expensive this summer --- the dollar has been
    sliding. Filling a compact car's tank was 50 euros, and now the
    euro is at $1.50 instead of $1.20.

    If you can sort through the trolls, rec.bicycles.racing will have
    some info, too.

  5. "John Metsy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am keen to go and watch some of the 2005 Tour de France

    Are there any good news groups where I can find out about where are good
    places to watch. And just what is the best way to make the most of a
    once-in-a-lifetime chance.

    There's only one: rec.bicycles.racing

    Be ready for some heat though.

    Keen? Canadian?

    JF

  6. John Metsy said:

    I am keen to go and watch some of the 2005 Tour de France

    Are there any good news groups where I can find out about where are good
    places to watch. And just what is the best way to make the most of a
    once-in-a-lifetime chance.

    Thanks
    John

    Last summer I went to see the time trial in Besançon. I think it must have
    been one of the best places to see the tour. During several hours, I
    could move within the 50-km loop from start to arrival or to many places
    with a good view of what was happening. Note that the one condition to
    enjoy this freedom was to be there with a bike. No way to do this with a
    car (roads closed) or on foot (too large distances). And actually it was
    fun to see the show as part of a 200 km day tour !

    Jacques

  7. Jacques Moser said:
    John Metsy said:

    I am keen to go and watch some of the 2005 Tour de France

    Are there any good news groups where I can find out about where are good
    places to watch. And just what is the best way to make the most of a
    once-in-a-lifetime chance.

    Thanks
    John

    Last summer I went to see the time trial in Besançon. I think it must have
    been one of the best places to see the tour. During several hours, I
    could move within the 50-km loop from start to arrival or to many places
    with a good view of what was happening. Note that the one condition to
    enjoy this freedom was to be there with a bike. No way to do this with a
    car (roads closed) or on foot (too large distances). And actually it was
    fun to see the show as part of a 200 km day tour !

    Jacques

    Pardon the dumb question, but you'd be on a different road, parallel to the
    main peloton but could still see them? I noted on one section there were
    some recreational bikers on some kind of feeder road, and you could watch
    them match the peloton speed and Phil commented on how long they'd match
    it. Forget the stage. Must be a designated route for rec. bikers?

    -B

  8. Badger said:


    Pardon the dumb question, but you'd be on a different road, parallel to
    the main peloton but could still see them? I noted on one section there
    were some recreational bikers on some kind of feeder road, and you could
    watch them match the peloton speed and Phil commented on how long they'd
    match it. Forget the stage. Must be a designated route for rec. bikers?

    -B

    The time trial was done in a loop; you could penetrate inside the loop
    using a bridge; and inside the loop was a network of small roads.
    You could get from one intersection to the other and thus
    change views. Time trials seem to be a good place to look at the Tour !

    J.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.