Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

1984 Marin by Joe Murray parts

Started by Jazu · · Last activity · 12 posts · 1,570 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
27 June 2003
Last activity
1 July 2003
Original author
Jazu
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,570
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi Has someone any idea if this could be worth something? thanks

  2. Sorry. I was asking for frame and fork

    "jazu" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi Has someone any idea if this could be worth something? thanks

  3. "jazu" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Sorry. I was asking for frame and fork

    "jazu" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi Has someone any idea if this could be worth something? thanks

    It is if it's rideable, it's worth riding.

    Interesting side note about Joe Murray. The other half of the Toeclip Mafia used to ride with Joe in
    CB on a regular basis and about 15 years ago he ended up buying a Ti race bike Joe had used for one
    season. It had Ti parts all over it, including the seatpost. He was telling me the story of how he
    had acquired this seatpost which was on his bike a couple of weeks ago on a ride we were doing. I
    warned him that Ti can break and 15 years of service on that seatpost was pushing
    it. Halfway through the ride, the seatpost broke right near the clamp.

    JD

  4. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hi Has someone any idea if this could be worth something? thanks

    It is if it's rideable, it's worth riding.

    It is rideable, but frame is to big for me. I think it is 22". So, I think, as long Marin bikes
    aren't the cheapest ones, I could sell it and buy new bike.

  5. "jazu" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Hi Has someone any idea if this could be worth something? thanks

    It is if it's rideable, it's worth riding.

    It is rideable, but frame is to big for me. I think it is 22". So, I think, as long Marin bikes
    aren't the cheapest ones, I could sell it and buy new bike.

    The geometry is probably not even close to what hardtail frames have evolved into, so it's probably
    good for burning smooth tracks, but may be endo prone in technical terrain. Do you have any
    pictures of it?

    JD

  6. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It is rideable, but frame is to big for me. I think it is 22". So, I think, as long Marin bikes
    aren't the cheapest ones, I could sell


    it

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and buy new bike.

    The geometry is probably not even close to what hardtail frames have evolved into, so it's
    probably good for burning smooth tracks, but may be endo prone in technical terrain. Do you have
    any pictures of it?

    No I don't have. I sent email to Marin. I hope they will reply to me.

  7. "jazu" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It is rideable, but frame is to big for me. I think it is 22". So, I think, as long Marin
    bikes aren't the cheapest ones, I could sell


    it

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and buy new bike.

    The geometry is probably not even close to what hardtail frames have evolved into, so it's
    probably good for burning smooth tracks, but may be endo prone in technical terrain. Do you have
    any pictures of it?

    No I don't have. I sent email to Marin. I hope they will reply to me.

    Snap a digital photo of it and let's see it.

    JD

  8. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    No I don't have. I sent email to Marin. I hope they will reply to me.

    Snap a digital photo of it and let's see it.

    I don't have digital cam. This is Joe Murray design 1984 Marin. It looks like ordinary bike frame.
    Non suspension fork. Are you familiar with that brand? I looked on ebay, google and find nothing
    about particular model. I found out only that Marin bike are kind of expensive. ooops I see some
    sunsine thru the window🙂 Gotta bike🙂

  9. "jazu" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi Has someone any idea if this could be worth something? thanks

    A 1984 Marin ... Priceless

    Bob Buckley's company "Marin Mountain Bikes" didn't start production until 1986, although the
    company was founded in 1985.

    In 1984, Joe Murray was still racing and designing for Gary Fisher. Marin Mountain Bikes was founded
    in 1985, and the first year of production was 1986. Check the company site, the company is only 18
    years old.

    From an old SBA Interview with Bob Buckley:

    "It was at a race that Buckley met world champion mountain bike racer Joe Murray, who planted the
    seed that was to become Marin Mountain Bikes. Recalls Buckley, "I talked to him about expanding my
    line of accessories and he asked, 'Why don't we make bikes?'"

    They did. After a research trip to Taiwan, the world center of bicycle manufacturing, the two men
    returned to California to set up shop. The racer translated his cycling expertise into innovative
    bike design, and Marin Mountain Bikes soon introduced its first model.

    One year later -1987 - there were five models. Not only were the neon-colored bikes an immediate
    success with customers, but the revolutionary, first-ever titanium model won Bicycle Guide's Best
    Bike award in 1987 and 1988."

    "In 1986, the first year, we sold only 160 bikes. In 1993 we sold 140,000." (Bob Buckley)

    So either your year is wrong, or you have a pre-production (Fisher) Marin.

    R

  10. "Reco Diver" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "jazu" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hi Has someone any idea if this could be worth something? thanks

    A 1984 Marin ... Priceless


    Cool. I m rich🙂)

    Quoted message said:

    So either your year is wrong, or you have a pre-production (Fisher)

    There is a sign pasted to the frame that says "designed by Joe Murray 1984-1985" There are sign
    Marin on diagonal tube and logo on the front of the bike. Who know, maybe I do have $ome vintage
    bike 🙂 It could be designed in these years, but production could started later. Dunno and this is
    the reason why I posted my question on this group.

  11. "jazu" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Reco Diver" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "jazu" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hi Has someone any idea if this could be worth something? thanks

    A 1984 Marin ... Priceless


    Cool. I m rich🙂)

    Careful ... What is priceless to some collectors is worthless to others.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    So either your year is wrong, or you have a pre-production (Fisher)

    There is a sign pasted to the frame that says "designed by Joe Murray 1984-1985"

    Designed by .... that's the key.

    Quoted message said:

    There are sign Marin on diagonal tube and logo on the front of the bike. Who know, maybe I do have
    $ome vintage bike 🙂 It could be designed in these years, but production could started later.

    There you go ... designed in 1984-1985. 1985 is an important year in Murray's career .... first
    national championship and all. It also gives a nod to Fisher, since Murray was not only riding for
    Fisher at the time, but also doing R & D. Unfortunately, "Designed By" doesn't make it the year of
    production. Serial numbers, color, detail and country of orgin, will give you more clues to the year
    of production. It could very well be one of the first 160 produced in 1986, but it is doubtful that
    it is from 1984.

    Quoted message said:

    Dunno and this is the reason why I posted my question on this group.

    Good luck in your search ... It'll be interesting to see what Marin has to say about it (if you ever
    get an answer). Can you post a component list ... color ... decal colors ... etc.

    R

  12. "jazu" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    No I don't have. I sent email to Marin. I hope they will reply to me.

    Snap a digital photo of it and let's see it.

    I don't have digital cam.

    Borrow one. Unless we see it, there's almost no way we can determine what you have.

    JD

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.