mrvlhs said:Thank you for all the info. I already chose a fork but havent bought it yet. It's pretty hard already to find 1" forks, and I think the store only sells threaded. Wouldn't that mean I'd have to change the headset? I'm not feeling like splurging money. What I'm curious about is if my bike would fit a 1"1/8 fork all entirely, that would be great, I'll have to find it out.
Beyond your LBS & the traditional mail order retailers (Nashbar, Excel, Colorado Cyclist, etc.), eBay is undoubtedly the go-to venue for buying (and selling) cycling components in the US ...
While there aren't too many immediate options for you, there ARE 1" threadless forks listed on eBay ...
[INDENT]ebay.comi.htmlOpen ↗[/INDENT]
Depending on the length of your frame's head tube, if the UN-threaded portion of a threaded fork is sufficient to accommodate the combined length of the head tube + headset's stack + spacers + stem, then a truncated threaded fork can be used in a threadless application.
[INDENT]With any threaded fork you need to ensure that the fork can use the brake caliper of your choice (some older, threaded steel forks may need a brake caliper with a longer "reach" [e.g., 55-73] than is currently the norm).
[/INDENT]
As far as ponying up for a new headset, I hear you ...
But, a USED lock nut should not be that difficult to find for a few dollars (or, free?) at an LBS which has been in business for more than a decade... .the only (?) caveat is to ensure that the lock nut is not intended for a FRENCH threaded fork.
[INDENT]You can find NEW lock nuts on eBay ...
Because your damaged headset appears to be a Shimano headset, IF you are handy then you can convert it to a threadless headset by CAREFULLY machining out the threads of the upper cup ... this was an occasional option by some people a dozen-or-so years ago so that they could continue to use their then-recently purchased Dura Ace headsets!
I think that most-if-not all Shimano headsets have alloy cups ... so, the procedure should be viable with their other headsets, too.
[INDENT]If you are really handy, you could do the rough work with a half-round hand file ...
BUT, the final work should probably be done with a drum sander ...
[INDENT]A great deal of trial-and-error fitting should probably be done to ensure that no more material is removed than is absolutely necessary otherwise the cup will be EITHER "toast" or will need to be shimmed (a so-called "compression cup" is used on some headsets accommodates slight imprecisions) & much MORE work will need to be done ...
[INDENT]BTW. Having a machinist perform the operation will cost more than most new, threadless headsets; so, unless you are a machinist OR unless you have a friend who is a machinist, this is a DIY conversion which is NOT for the faint-of-heart or someone who has not previously worked with hand-or-machine tools.[/INDENT][/INDENT]
[/INDENT]
You could execute the same procedure with a steel headset's upper cup, but it would take more effort ...[/INDENT]
BTW. It would indeed be great if a 1 1/8" fork could be substituted for a 1" fork ... but, it cannot (I 'tested' this notion a long time ago) ...
[INDENT]While a 1 1/8" fork's steerer can easily fit inside the head tube designed for a 1" fork-and-headset, the 1 1/8" fork will not fit inside the headset's collars which are sleeved within the head tube ...
UNLESS someone fabricates a headset which sleeves over the head tube -- that is, I believe that it could theoretically be done for lugged frames ... there is some inconsistency due to more hand finishing on better frames OR chrome plating OR paint ... it would almost necessarily need to be custom machining.[/INDENT]
Let YOUR aesthetic sensibilities determine whether you opt for a fork with straight legs or curved legs ...
[INDENT]Regardless, I would NOT buy another alloy fork if I were you ...
The advantage of a CF fork is weight ... but, IMO, there is no advantage to how it affects the bike's handling over a good steel fork ...
So, I will continue to recommend you consider a 'threadless' steel fork as your replacement ...[/INDENT]
mrvlhs said:
Could you please elaborate on why one wouldn't need a lockring on a threaded fork? I don't mind using spacers if it's safe and it saves me work.
BTW. dabac is correct ... this may-or-may-not be a nomenclature issue ...
[INDENT]I believe that I have mistaken your use of the term "lockring" whereby you have probably been referring to the threaded lock nut rather than to the auxiliary washer which has a tooth on its inner circumference which then keys into a shallow groove that has often been machined into the rear of the steerer's column.[/INDENT]
BTW2/FYI. If you still have the lock nut ...
[INDENT][INDENT]AND, if you can remove it from the steerer ...
You can probably chase the threads by threading it onto another forks's threaded steerer column and thereby make it viable and the need to purchase a replacement lock nut unnecessary other than for cosmetic reasons.
[/INDENT][/INDENT]