in message <[email hidden]>, Alan Paterson
(') said:I'm trying to adapt a bike for my daughter, by replacing the handlebar
stem to reduce the reach. The one on the bike is 20mm in diameter, but
all the ones I see listed seem to be 1 1/8". How do you actually
measure a handlebar stem? (The one on my 'regular' bike is also 20mm,
so???)
1 1/8" is the outside diameter of the steerer tube, and the only sizes
that have been available in the last thirty or so years are one inch
(now rare), one and an eighth inch, and one and a half inch (Cannondales
and downhill bikes only)[1].
Handlebars are available in three (main) different diameters. Mountain
bike type handlebars are 1" diameter at the clamp; road bike type
handlebars are 26mm diameter. Lately, both types have become available
in 'oversize' fitting, which means they bulge in the centre where the
clamp attaches to 31.8mm.
Your stem needs to be right for the steerer, right for the bars, the
right reach, and the right amount of rise. A good local bike shop will
really help here.
[1] According to Sheldon there are also 26mm, 28mm and 1 1/4" steerers
out there, but I've never seen 'em.
--
[email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
Anagram: I'm soon broke.