Atkins helps diabetes patients
2005 May 24
WELLINGTON, New Zealand, May 23, 2005 (United Press International via
COMTEX) -- A study by New Zealand's Wellington Hospital indicates the
high-fat Atkins diet helps diabetes patients lose weight and control
the disease.
The study examined the cases of 12 overweight patients with type 2
diabetes brought on by diet and lifestyle. On a modified Atkins diet,
the patients lost an average of about 22 pounds in six months, the
Wellington Dominion Post reported Monday.
Surprisingly, the researchers said the patients' glucose tolerance
improved significantly, indicating better diabetes control.
"When I went into it, with no published studies, I was expecting we
would see it would be harmful," said endocrinologist and lead study
author Jeremy Krebs. "I was not surprised people were able to lose
weight, but the health parameters all improved more than I expected."
The diet used in the study was a slightly modified version of Atkins,
aiming to avoid "bad" saturated fats and eat more mono and
polyunsaturated fats.
Copyright: Copyright 2005 by United Press International.