General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Yes, Virginia, there is a Dover sole

Started by Felice · · Last activity · 4 posts · 344 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
4 December 2007
Last activity
4 December 2007
Original author
Felice
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
344
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I believe the confusion is caused by some suppliers who call their flounder
    "Dover sole" because it sounds elegant. But there is indeed a Dover sole and
    it is indeed found in the states:

    http://www.thriftyfoods.com/recipes
    "If you have dined in very high-end restaurants over the years you may have
    seen "true" Dover sole on the menu. It is a very pricey species of sole
    caught in the North Atlantic off Europe. Very small quantities of this fish
    are exported to North America and most ends up on tables in fine, East Coast
    eateries."

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/back_to_basics/flatfish.shtml
    "There are two species that are called Dover soles. The first is the
    European or common sole, and the second is the Pacific sole. The European
    species is a true sole whereas the Pacific fish is a flounder. Pacific sole
    is also called U.S. Dover sole."

    I've enjoyed it at a couple of those "fine East Coast eateries" including
    Locke-Ober. And lemme tell you, if Locke calls cod "cod" and scrod "scrod"
    they don't call flounder "Dover sole"! If you ever get a chance to try real
    Dover sole, you will see the difference; I surely do when I have flounder at
    home.

    Historical Note: I remember having Dover sole at the Margeury in New York
    City in the late '40s and early '50s, when they received shipments once a
    week by <airplane> and it was on the menu only that night.

    Felice

  2. Felice said:

    I believe the confusion is caused by some suppliers who call their
    flounder "Dover sole" because it sounds elegant. But there is indeed
    a Dover sole and it is indeed found in the states:

    Only if imported.

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/back_to_basics/flatfish.shtml
    "There are two species that are called Dover soles. The first is the
    European or common sole, and the second is the Pacific sole. The
    European species is a true sole whereas the Pacific fish is a
    flounder. Pacific sole is also called U.S. Dover sole."

    There are several varieties of sole in the UK. The Dover sole,
    however, heads the list as being the most desirable and, incidentally,
    the most expensive.

    Quoted message said:

    I've enjoyed it at a couple of those "fine East Coast eateries"
    including Locke-Ober. And lemme tell you, if Locke calls cod "cod"
    and scrod "scrod" they don't call flounder "Dover sole"! If you ever
    get a chance to try real Dover sole, you will see the difference; I
    surely do when I have flounder at home.

    Agreed. However, flounder is a pretty good fish, too.

    Quoted message said:


    Historical Note: I remember having Dover sole at the Margeury in New
    York City in the late '40s and early '50s, when they received
    shipments once a week by <airplane> and it was on the menu only that
    night.
    Felice

    If shipments have stopped, it's understandable. The fishing industry in
    the UK (as in many parts of the world) has been decimated. Thank the
    fish factory ships for a lot of it.

  3. "Felice" <[email hidden]> dropped this
    news:[email hidden]: in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    I believe the confusion is caused by some suppliers who call their
    flounder "Dover sole" because it sounds elegant. But there is indeed a
    Dover sole and it is indeed found in the states:

    http://www.thriftyfoods.com/recipes
    "If you have dined in very high-end restaurants over the years you may
    have seen "true" Dover sole on the menu. It is a very pricey species
    of sole caught in the North Atlantic off Europe. Very small quantities
    of this fish are exported to North America and most ends up on tables
    in fine, East Coast eateries."

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/back_to_basics/flatfish.shtml
    "There are two species that are called Dover soles. The first is the
    European or common sole, and the second is the Pacific sole. The
    European species is a true sole whereas the Pacific fish is a
    flounder. Pacific sole is also called U.S. Dover sole."

    I've enjoyed it at a couple of those "fine East Coast eateries"
    including Locke-Ober. And lemme tell you, if Locke calls cod "cod" and
    scrod "scrod" they don't call flounder "Dover sole"! If you ever get a
    chance to try real Dover sole, you will see the difference; I surely
    do when I have flounder at home.

    Historical Note: I remember having Dover sole at the Margeury in New
    York City in the late '40s and early '50s, when they received
    shipments once a week by <airplane> and it was on the menu only that
    night.

    Felice

    Felice thanks for this post. I have loved Dover sole over the years. I
    also like flounder even though I find both fish different in texture and
    taste. The problem I find is finding the real deal around these parts.
    Flounder is such a huge fish here finding the actual dover sole is hard.

    Michael

    --
    Too much fun! Click the card link and print 'em out.

    http://shorterlink.com/?87KN1V

    Send email to: michael at lonergan dot us dot com

  4. "Felice" <[email hidden]> dropped this
    news:[email hidden]: in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    I believe the confusion is caused by some suppliers who call their
    flounder "Dover sole" because it sounds elegant. But there is indeed a
    Dover sole and it is indeed found in the states:

    http://www.thriftyfoods.com/recipes
    "If you have dined in very high-end restaurants over the years you may
    have seen "true" Dover sole on the menu. It is a very pricey species
    of sole caught in the North Atlantic off Europe. Very small quantities
    of this fish are exported to North America and most ends up on tables
    in fine, East Coast eateries."

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/back_to_basics/flatfish.shtml
    "There are two species that are called Dover soles. The first is the
    European or common sole, and the second is the Pacific sole. The
    European species is a true sole whereas the Pacific fish is a
    flounder. Pacific sole is also called U.S. Dover sole."

    I've enjoyed it at a couple of those "fine East Coast eateries"
    including Locke-Ober. And lemme tell you, if Locke calls cod "cod" and
    scrod "scrod" they don't call flounder "Dover sole"! If you ever get a
    chance to try real Dover sole, you will see the difference; I surely
    do when I have flounder at home.

    Historical Note: I remember having Dover sole at the Margeury in New
    York City in the late '40s and early '50s, when they received
    shipments once a week by <airplane> and it was on the menu only that
    night.

    Felice

    Felice thanks for this post. I have loved Dover sole over the years. I
    also like flounder even though I find both fish different in texture and
    taste. The problem I find is finding the real deal around these parts.
    Flounder is such a huge fish here finding the actual dover sole is hard.

    Michael

    --
    Too much fun! Click the card link and print 'em out.

    http://shorterlink.com/?87KN1V

    Send email to: michael at lonergan dot us dot com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.