Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

X-Fly Shock Oil Change: Damper Side Comes Up Empty.

Started by x · · Last activity · 3 posts · 551 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
30 May 2004
Last activity
1 June 2004
Original author
x
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
551
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well, it's been two years and about 4,000 miles...and the
    manual says every 1,000....plus they were making an ugly
    "clunk" as they topped out... so I figured it was time to
    change the oil.

    The good news was that changing the oil cured the clunk.

    What's bothering me a little is that the right side (damper
    side) was just about completely empty of oil....and it was
    filled to the right level at the last change.

    Been avoiding a seal replacement - figuring that the shocks
    would tell me when it's time by letting oil weep out where I
    could see it.

    Seems like there's a very, very slow loss of oil going on
    here...so slow that it isn't even visible.

    So, the question: Is this normal and the reason that side
    was empty was just that I went way too long before
    changing oil? Or is it time to think about seal
    replacement? I'm not real excited about taking these
    things apart - seems like there are several areas where a
    little "oops!" could be the end...
    --
    PeteCresswell

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Subject: X-Fly Shock Oil Change: Damper Side Comes Up
    Empty. From: "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email hidden]> Newsgroups:
    alt.mountain-bike

    Well, it's been two years and about 4,000 miles...and the
    manual says every 1,000....plus they were making an ugly
    "clunk" as they topped out... so I figured it was time to
    change the oil.

    The good news was that changing the oil cured the clunk.

    What's bothering me a little is that the right side
    (damper side) was just about completely empty of
    oil....and it was filled to the right level at the
    last change.

    Been avoiding a seal replacement - figuring that the
    shocks would tell me when it's time by letting oil weep
    out where I could see it.

    Seems like there's a very, very slow loss of oil going on
    here...so slow that it isn't even visible.

    So, the question: Is this normal and the reason that side
    was empty was just that I went way too long before
    changing oil? Or is it time to think about seal
    replacement? I'm not real excited about taking these
    things apart - seems like there are several areas where a
    little "oops!" could be the end...
    --
    PeteCresswell

    For an air sprung fork an oil leak is going to be blatantly
    obvious. No I hope you remmbered that it is filled witht he
    shock full compressed, not fully extended 🙂 Fully extended
    they don't look like they have much oil in them.
    --
    _________________________
    Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia ramsays-ramsays-
    online.com

  3. RE/

    Quoted message said:

    I hope you remmbered that it is filled witht he shock full
    compressed, not fully extended 🙂 Fully extended they don't
    look like they have much oil in them.

    Having forgotton the details since last change, it took a
    couple of go-arounds to get the level right. Not much travel
    when they're overfilled....-)

    My error was adding oil with the bike on a rack...I
    *thought* I had compressed the forks all the way...but
    hadn't. Putting the bike on the ground made that 100%
    clear....

    If done right, the whole process is almost trivial: Bleed
    the air, remove the caps, drain the oil, compress the forks,
    fill, replace the caps, pump 'em up....probably 30 minutes
    max for somebody who does it right the first time.
    --
    PeteCresswell

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.