Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Wire-Beaded Tires on Straight-Sided Rim?

Started by question man · · Last activity · 4 posts · 511 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
6 May 2005
Last activity
7 May 2005
Original author
question man
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
511
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. All -

    Can I safely use a wire-beaded tire on a rim with straight sides?

    The tire I have in mind is the Continental TopTouring 2000, and the
    rim is some old clunker I have laying around.

    According to Conti's web site, the max pressure for this tire is 80
    psi.

    Thanks!

    Phi

  2. On Fri, 06 May 2005 18:26:48 GMT, question man <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    All -

    Can I safely use a wire-beaded tire on a rim with straight sides?

    Yes, as long as it's the right size for the rim.

    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  3. question man said:

    All -

    Can I safely use a wire-beaded tire on a rim with straight sides?

    The tire I have in mind is the Continental TopTouring 2000, and the
    rim is some old clunker I have laying around.

    According to Conti's web site, the max pressure for this tire is 80
    psi.

    If, by straight sides, you mean no hook, I'd say yes, but I'd be careful
    about the pressure, staying a bit below the max tire pressure. I've had
    blow offs on hookless rims after inflating to full pressure.

  4. Quoted message said:
    Peter Cole said:
    question man said:

    All -

    Can I safely use a wire-beaded tire on a rim with straight sides?

    The tire I have in mind is the Continental TopTouring 2000, and the
    rim is some old clunker I have laying around.

    According to Conti's web site, the max pressure for this tire is 80
    psi.

    If, by straight sides, you mean no hook, I'd say yes, but I'd be

    careful

    Quoted message said:

    about the pressure, staying a bit below the max tire pressure. I've

    had

    Quoted message said:

    blow offs on hookless rims after inflating to full pressure.

    Sounds like the answer is actually "no" then.

    I don't think so. I'm not sure what makes a specific tire more prone to
    blow off, or how you could tell. I'm suggesting that the max pressure
    listed on the sidewall of new tires might assume hooks. I think it's
    prudent to run tires lower on hookless rims.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.