Winter Riding

In message <[email protected]>
"Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Although I am still
> trying to figure out a good way to keep the toes warm.

A fairing?

Individual foot-fairings hand-crafted out of a milk container?

And lined with silvered foil?

--
Charles
Brompton P6R-Plus; CarryFreedom -YL, in Motspur Park

"Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Cold and Snowy here and I am still out in the weather. As long as a
> person dresses for it it's not all THAT bad. Although I am still
> trying to figure out a good way to keep the toes warm.
>
> http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh160/1957trike/The Rig/WinterTrike-12222007-02-12222007con.jpg
>
> http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh160/1957trike/The Rig/WinterTrike-12222007-01-12222007con.jpg

The flags make for a nice picture. And if the snow around you is > 4 ft
deep, cars would still be able to see the flag. But that would be too much
drag for me.

J.

> trying to figure out a good way to keep the toes warm.

I've been trying out sealskinz chillblocker socks. If you wear summer
shoes they might be worth a try. The largest XXL socks fit snugly on my
size13US feet, and it's key to not to cut off circulation, so oversized
shoes, and a loose fit or the next larger size of socks is important.

Your feet will feel waterlogged with sweat if the temperature gets above
40F, and though wearing a wicking sock under the cb's seems to soak up
sweat, the cb's for me are not roomy enough to accomodate a normal sock
under them without compressing the feet and cutting off circulation. I'll
try some super-thin socks later.

How low a temperature the cb's can be useful at with summer shoes I don't
know yet, but at least in the low 30's. They seem well-made and are
machine-washable.

rms

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 09:38:22 -0800 (PST), Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Dec 22, 8:51 am, "Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>> Cold and Snowy here and I am still out in the weather.  As long as a
>> person dresses for it it's not all THAT bad.   Although I am still
>> trying to figure out a good way to keep the toes warm.
>>
>> http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh160/1957trike/The Rig/WinterTr...
>>
>> http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh160/1957trike/The Rig/WinterTr...

>What type of footwear/socks, etc., have you tried?

I have tried all kinds of socks. Two pairs, three pairs, wool. Shoes
are standard hiking boots. Much better for helping to stop if I have
to toss the feet down in the case of sliding on ice.

As for the drag from the flags. Surprisingly enough they actually
cause very little. The only time I notice them is if I am in high
((20mph or higher)) winds. In that case I have them mounted in a
small tube and can take them down and bungee them to the rack.

"Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Cold and Snowy here and I am still out in the weather. As long as a
> person dresses for it it's not all THAT bad. Although I am still
> trying to figure out a good way to keep the toes warm.
>
> http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh160/1957trike/The Rig/WinterTrike-12222007-02-12222007con.jpg
>
> http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh160/1957trike/The Rig/WinterTrike-12222007-01-12222007con.jpg

Hey Harry;

I suggest Sidi Toasters http://www.sidiusa.com/toaster.html . Only $300 USD.

I have not worn them, because my feet stay reasonably warm, even riding year
round in Chicago.

Also: Don't let these city folk dis you, and the great state of NE. States
like NE and IL feed the world!

J.

"Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Cold and Snowy here and I am still out in the weather. As long as a
> person dresses for it it's not all THAT bad. Although I am still
> trying to figure out a good way to keep the toes warm.
>
> http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh160/1957trike/The Rig/WinterTrike-12222007-02-12222007con.jpg
>
> http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh160/1957trike/The Rig/WinterTrike-12222007-01-12222007con.jpg

have you tried toesties or neoprene booties?

I'm doing OK, but had to go to neoprene gloves and liners.

Down to 28deg F just tights, jacket, l/s jersey, balaclava, double
gloves - no neoprece booties yet. From 25deg F, especially if it's
raining, the neo boots come out - but so far not this year. (I've got
a better indoor riding set up, too).

It was harder, more painful this year, I think that was because of the
unseasonably warm Oct and Nov on the East Coast. No time to 'toughen
up'.

Right now, even with double gloves my thumbs still freeze, and
sometimes thumbs and finger tips below 30deg, but I can tough it out,
mostly. Feels kinda dumb though to cancel a ride because of your
thumbs, lol, but I've thought about it.

"EasyCompany" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> I'm doing OK, but had to go to neoprene gloves and liners.
>
> Down to 28deg F just tights, jacket, l/s jersey, balaclava, double
> gloves - no neoprece booties yet. From 25deg F, especially if it's
> raining, the neo boots come out - but so far not this year. (I've got
> a better indoor riding set up, too).
>
> It was harder, more painful this year, I think that was because of the
> unseasonably warm Oct and Nov on the East Coast. No time to 'toughen
> up'.
>
> Right now, even with double gloves my thumbs still freeze, and
> sometimes thumbs and finger tips below 30deg, but I can tough it out,
> mostly. Feels kinda dumb though to cancel a ride because of your
> thumbs, lol, but I've thought about it.

I like these from North Face 'Mountain Guide Mitt':

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?site=NA&model=ARZ1&dc=001

Gloves simply do not keep my hands warm, when it is < 20 F.

J.

"Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Cold and Snowy here and I am still out in the weather. As long as a
> person dresses for it it's not all THAT bad. Although I am still
> trying to figure out a good way to keep the toes warm.
>
> http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh160/1957trike/The Rig/WinterTrike-12222007-02-12222007con.jpg
>
> http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh160/1957trike/The Rig/WinterTrike-12222007-01-12222007con.jpg

Are you required to display a SMV sign in NE? It is so much wider than a
conventional bike.

http://www.cdc.gov/nasd/docs/d001501-d001600/d001533/d001533.html

J.

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 11:25:43 -0600, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Cold and Snowy here and I am still out in the weather. As long as a
>> person dresses for it it's not all THAT bad. Although I am still
>> trying to figure out a good way to keep the toes warm.
>>
>> http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh160/1957trike/The Rig/WinterTrike-12222007-02-12222007con.jpg
>>
>> http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh160/1957trike/The Rig/WinterTrike-12222007-01-12222007con.jpg
>>

>Are you required to display a SMV sign in NE? It is so much wider than a
>conventional bike.
>
>http://www.cdc.gov/nasd/docs/d001501-d001600/d001533/d001533.html
>
>J.

That's an interesting question. I'll be looking into it. I don't
think that inside city limits I would be requred to have one. Bt I'll
certainly have one when I start my trip. If nothing else, just for
safety reasons and NOT because it's required.

"Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 11:25:43 -0600, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>> Cold and Snowy here and I am still out in the weather. As long as a
>>> person dresses for it it's not all THAT bad. Although I am still
>>> trying to figure out a good way to keep the toes warm.
>>>
>>> http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh160/1957trike/The Rig/WinterTrike-12222007-02-12222007con.jpg
>>>
>>> http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh160/1957trike/The Rig/WinterTrike-12222007-01-12222007con.jpg
>>>

>>Are you required to display a SMV sign in NE? It is so much wider than a
>>conventional bike.
>>
>>http://www.cdc.gov/nasd/docs/d001501-d001600/d001533/d001533.html
>>
>>J.
>>

> That's an interesting question. I'll be looking into it. I don't
> think that inside city limits I would be requred to have one. Bt I'll
> certainly have one when I start my trip. If nothing else, just for
> safety reasons and NOT because it's required.

If you could mount it easily, I think it would be a good idea. IMHO, your
trike is more like an Amish carriage than a conventional bike.

It really depends on your route. If cars are bearing down on you at highway
speed, the answer is obvious.

J.

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>>>
>>> Walking boots, woolly socks and gaiters.

>> The problem is combining such footwear with a foot retention system. Extra
>> long Power Grips or heel slings are possibilities.

> Mr. Sherman should get acquainted with Minnesota. None of that sissy stuff
> works here. You have to wear the 100 degrees below zero clodhopper boots
> (overshoes) and "keep on trucking." Jeez, try to get real why don't you!

The average temperatures in "The Turkey Capital of the World" [1] are
not that severe:
<http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/56119?locid=56119>.

[1] Worthington redirects to Brewster, which is just a few miles to the
northeast.

POST FREE OR DIE!

>.
>
> Right now, even with double gloves my thumbs still freeze,

what you need are mittens
we use this when it is 40 degrees below zero and lower

get 2 pairs of really good ragglan mittens--the get a over sized leather
mitten--see if qc supply has them
then put the woolen ones on--2 layers and covered with the leather one

bulky but they work

hth
peter

> Also: Don't let these city folk dis you, and the great state of NE. States
> like NE and IL feed the world!

not any more they are pissing away their cropland to feed 1/2 tone 4 wheel
drive pickups with double wheels in the back

take care
peter

ilaboo aka Peter Lener wrote:
>> Also: Don't let these city folk dis you, and the great state of NE. States
>> like NE and IL feed the world!

> not any more they are pissing away their cropland to feed 1/2 tone 4 wheel
> drive pickups with double wheels in the back

No, no, no. All "half-ton" and "three-quarter ton" pickups and some
"one-ton" pickups have SINGLE rear wheels. If it has dual rear wheels,
it is either a "one-ton" pickup (e.g. Ford F-350) or light commercial
truck (e.g. Ford F-450 and F-550).

POST FREE OR DIE!