Where do collectors seek out "barn finds"

robert bartsch

Dec 2, 2020
...I'm retired and I used to ride light fast bikes as a kid - way back in the '70s.... ...but unfortunately, I left the NYC bike scene decades ago but I'm returning now....

...over the past 5 months, I have been purchasing bikes and I have acquired several to-date (16 bikes - mostly whole but several projects started with pieces (frame, fork or other non-finished bike).

On one recent acquisition, I met a retired lady collector who sold me a vintage 70s Bianchi with Campy hardware. after I loaded the bike in my vehicle, I asked her if she had other bikes to ride.

With a broad grin, she replyied, "yes I have a few rides. ....would you like to see them?"

With that, I walk into a former horse barn to find about 100 classics! WOW!

She told me she often takes two or three days at a clip to acquire a few jewels. This is where she goes:

1. Word of mouth. (more frequent than you might expect - tell your friends you are looking)

2. Visits to local and not-so-local bike shops (most buys here!)

3. Local Craigslist cites for cities near her

4. Local papers (used to be a good source but most local papers have gone under)

5. EBay - she never uses this one. Too many problems, scamers, seller truth bending, shipping issues, etc

6. Foreign sources - mostly but not exclusively from EBay. Don't even think about it.

7. Never sell bikes (the Bianchi was acquired thinking she could make it fit but it turn out to be too small.

I HAVE A PHOTO OF THE BIANCHI BUT I CAN'T LOAD IT HERE??????

I would love to see any comments from collectors looking for their next barn find.... ...just wondering if most collectors never sell??

Rob Bartsch