When the weather is too hot

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
A few weeks back when there was a heat wave in Japan, I was saddened by the news report that a biker going to work collapsed on the road due to the extreme heat. That is a neat lesson for cyclists especially those living in tropical countries because heat stroke is prevalent here during summer. I can’t imagine the fatigue that a rider would endure particularly those traveling for long distances.

I'm not sure how hot it was that day in Japan but I've ridden my bike in the Mojave Desert area of Southern California where in the summer the temps get over 100 degrees F.

I would also spray myself when I got too hot with water from my bottle, but I had to carry a Camelbak 70 ounce bag on my back.

Now they have these scarfs that you get wet and they will keep you about 5 to 8 degrees cooler by simply laying it around your neck, and they have the same type of thing you put on your head then put your helmet on, I haven't tried one of those yet.

I just had to make sure I stayed hydrated. I also found that loose fitting white colored clothing to works the best, then I found a jersey with a bunch of tiny holes that is the coolest jersey I have ever worn including a high tech $135 jersey, and the one I bought with the holes was just $12!

Cyclists should always bring a bottle of water whether it is hot or not. Usually cyclist here in my place travel early in the morning and only for short distances. It is not advisable for them to travel using bikes for a long distance. Better be safe than sorry.

A few weeks back when there was a heat wave in Japan, I was saddened by the news report that a biker going to work collapsed on the road due to the extreme heat. That is a neat lesson for cyclists especially those living in tropical countries because heat stroke is prevalent here during summer. I can’t imagine the fatigue that a rider would endure particularly those traveling for long distances.
You're right. That's really sad.

That's why we should not use our bike during noon, or better to drink plenty of water and we should always bring an extra bottle of water.

I forgot to mention a stunt I did and still do when I ride in heat. I will take 3 bottles with me and a small (can't recall the liter size, but it was the smallest they made) Camelbak; the day before the ride I would make up a pitcher of Gatorade and water and place in fridge, I would pour some of the Gatorade diluted 50% into a Polar bottle and stick it in the freezer along with 2 empty Polar bottles. The next day I would fill one of the empty now frozen bottles with as much ice as I can get in it and then fill with the chilled Gatorade, then fill the other empty frozen bottle with about half ice and fill it with Gatorade, fill my Camelbak with ice and pour chilled water in. The Camelbak would actually help keep my back a tad cool! Of course I would drink from the bottle with the least amount of ice first followed by the next one, and by the time I got to the frozen one it was very cold.

The coldness of a drink is important because it brings down your core body temperature. Some of you may be trying to figure out how I carried 3 bottles on a bike designed with for just 2, I simply installed one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Clamp-water-bottle-holder-mount/dp/B01EYDO9SM on the bottom of the down tube. There are other ways to get more bottles on your bike too, see: http://nordicgroup.us/cageboss/

During this much heat, cyclers should always keep themselves hydrated. They should keep a water bottle alongside other accessories that keep them cooler than the temperature such as UV protection cooling scarves and arm wrists, etc. All these things can help in keeping oneself hydrated during cycling, hope it helps.

Heatstroke is very dangerous for human and also on the animal because of nobody survives.

I try to bike in the morning, but if it gets too hot it's hard to come back in the afternoon. I bring a change of clothes to change into basketball after work and bring lots of water!

I try to bike in the morning, but if it gets too hot it's hard to come back in the afternoon. I bring a change of clothes to change into basketball after work and bring lots of water!

When I lived in the Mojave Desert I rode on the weekends in the morning, but during the week I was working so I rode in the evening because I don't like to get up early in the morning! I had to be at work by 7:30 am to get the office ready by 8 am, so I had to get up by 6 am, if I rode first I would have to be up by 4:00 am and that didn't set well with me. Why 4 am? because I would have to eat, get my kit on, get the bike ready, then ride, come home, shower and get dressed for work, simply wasn't going to happen.

Hey! If you're not a morning person, riding in the evening is a great alternative. Just make sure you have proper lights and reflective gear for visibility. Ride safe!

Sure, heat can be tough, but it's not like cycling's a survival test. Just stay hydrated, take breaks, and enjoy the ride! Don't let a little sweat scare you off. It's part of the journey, right? No need to overthink it, new cyclists. Happy pedaling!

Ah, a fellow cyclist's tale of summer woe! Fear not, my speedy friend, for SpeedyScott has a solution to ward off the scorching heat – pedal even faster! ;) Jokes aside, I agree, high temps can be a real drag. Stay hydrated, take breaks, and if all else fails, invest in a rad cycling onesie to keep cool. Remember, it's not about the distance, it's about the wind in your hair and the *chill* vibes, man!