Road Cycling · Public discussion

Wheel choice (was Re: 7 to 8 Speed)

Started by ChronoFish · · Last activity · 2 posts · 355 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
5 August 2004
Last activity
11 August 2004
Original author
ChronoFish
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
355
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I would like to thank everyone for their input on my 7 to 8 speed
    conversion. Because I am using 8 speed bar-end shifters in friction
    mode, I am delighted that I will be able to easily upgrade to 9 speed
    with minimal cost. Also because of the discussion here I re-measured
    my drop-outs and discovered that they are 130mm.

    Now I can focus selecting the wheel. Originaly I had my mind made up
    to go with aerospokes. However after reading reviews and talking with
    LBS that it appears that the Aerospokes do surve their purpose - but
    that purpose my not be mine.

    Since I'm not a Clydesdale (When I weigh light I'm at 163lbs and when
    I am heavy I am at 175lbs - I'm currently at 165lbs) I may be better
    off with a lighter wheel.

    Anyway here is what I'm looking for in order of priorities:

    $500 wheelset (or less)

    Aero - I am currently averaging about 23mph on a 6.6 mile rolling
    lightly hilly time-trial course. About 19.5mph for 50 miles on a
    hilly course.

    Fast - I want to notice a difference from what I am currently riding.
    Not just mentally faster - but measurably faster than my current pair
    of stock Mavic 195s with RSX hubs (read "cheap" if you don't know
    them). Now when I say fast I mean Time Trial fast - not Criterium
    fast. Since my racing will be limited to TT and Triathlon's I don't
    think quick acceleration is nearly as important.

    Robust - I don't think I'm particularly hard on my wheels. I've
    popped one spoke in 8 years (just a couple of months ago) on the set I
    currently have. But I don't want to have to services these wheels on
    a regular basis. I don't own a trueing stand and I don't want to
    learn how to use one.

    Light - I'm getting better on the hills, and with the new 9 speed I'll
    be going to I will have some more gears to work with - but if it will
    help me in the hills I would obviously prefer a lighter wheel to a
    heavier wheel all other properties being equal.

    Any Suggestions?

    Thanks!
    CF

  2. I had similar requirements and I went with Velomax Tempest 30 mm deep low
    spoke count light in comparison to other wheels in their category (I think
    it was 1550 grams per pair). They track well and I have not had any
    problems with flexing (I'm 190lb.) spoke breakage or coming out of true. I
    liked them better than my hed 3's, spinergiey rev X Mavic gel 330's or my
    Velocity DeepV's. The negative, don't ride them in the rain. The bearings
    don't do well if they get a lot of moisture in them. You can usually pick a
    pair up of new ones for about $400 off ebay. You will notice a significant
    speed change with these wheels from the deeper rim, better hub, and lower
    spoke count on your previous wheelset.
    Good Lck
    Mike

    "ChronoFish" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I would like to thank everyone for their input on my 7 to 8 speed
    conversion. Because I am using 8 speed bar-end shifters in friction
    mode, I am delighted that I will be able to easily upgrade to 9 speed
    with minimal cost. Also because of the discussion here I re-measured
    my drop-outs and discovered that they are 130mm.

    Now I can focus selecting the wheel. Originaly I had my mind made up
    to go with aerospokes. However after reading reviews and talking with
    LBS that it appears that the Aerospokes do surve their purpose - but
    that purpose my not be mine.

    Since I'm not a Clydesdale (When I weigh light I'm at 163lbs and when
    I am heavy I am at 175lbs - I'm currently at 165lbs) I may be better
    off with a lighter wheel.

    Anyway here is what I'm looking for in order of priorities:

    $500 wheelset (or less)

    Aero - I am currently averaging about 23mph on a 6.6 mile rolling
    lightly hilly time-trial course. About 19.5mph for 50 miles on a
    hilly course.

    Fast - I want to notice a difference from what I am currently riding.
    Not just mentally faster - but measurably faster than my current pair
    of stock Mavic 195s with RSX hubs (read "cheap" if you don't know
    them). Now when I say fast I mean Time Trial fast - not Criterium
    fast. Since my racing will be limited to TT and Triathlon's I don't
    think quick acceleration is nearly as important.

    Robust - I don't think I'm particularly hard on my wheels. I've
    popped one spoke in 8 years (just a couple of months ago) on the set I
    currently have. But I don't want to have to services these wheels on
    a regular basis. I don't own a trueing stand and I don't want to
    learn how to use one.

    Light - I'm getting better on the hills, and with the new 9 speed I'll
    be going to I will have some more gears to work with - but if it will
    help me in the hills I would obviously prefer a lighter wheel to a
    heavier wheel all other properties being equal.

    Any Suggestions?

    Thanks!
    CF

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.