What kind of headphones for cycling?

Dan512

Aug 13, 2003
I don't want to start another thread about how dangerous it is to wear headphones while riding your bike, I guess that's up to each one.

I am just looking for a pair of headphones to upgrade my MP3-player.

I don't really care about the sound, no samll headphones will be great sounding, but I am rather looking for a pair that won't fall of/out after 5 min.

I seem to have strange ears, as normal headphones (the type you normally get with every player) just fall out of my ear after a few movements. I tried in-ear-headphones (like the one you get from Apple for the I-Pod), to no avail.

Has anyone tried the clip-on type which you hook over your ears? What about wind noise?

Provence1971 said:
Don't even think about it you naughty boy !
Unless you ride in a place where you have the roads all unto yourself ... I'd never do that ...
A major accident just waiting to happen.

Might as well get good headphones that cancel the noise and that fit over your weird ears. This way you won't even hear the car coming behind you. It won't hurt as much if you don't tense up. Go for BOSE.

If you really don't need to hear anything, I'd highly reccomend headphones from www.etymotics.com These are very good, but probably more expensive than the other options you've tried--well worth the money though. Just be careful! :D

Jeff

i use one head phone (ear bud) and then tape it into my ear so i can still hear cars and have some tunes

I ride with head phones on 99% of the time. Rely on your helmet mirror and be looking back every three seconds. The ear plug type don't allow you to hear any thing, I don't like that...
Did 4800 road miles this last summer with no problems at all... :) Rock on :) :) :) :)

I find this alarmist attitude to headphones quite amazing.

I could write a thesis on headphones and cycling, and in my "educated" opinion, it takes A LOT to drown out traffic noise -- and besides, why does everyone assume that anyone wearing headphones has them turned up to 11?
If you find yourself in a precarious situtaion, it's very easy to turn them right down or off.....simple.

Once a cyclist gets over about 30kmh their hearing is impaired anyway, because of the wind rushing across their ears.

I tried the "bud" type headphones and the "ear hugger" type, but all you tend to hear is the wind, so I found a way of cramming a 'standard' style headphone under my helmet

http://www.schnaeppchenjagd.de/html...ifi/Kopfhoerer/SONY-MDR-101-LP_a_4203330.html

Groove1797 said:
i use one head phone (ear bud) and then tape it into my ear so i can still hear cars and have some tunes

That's a great idea, I'll give it a try!

Thanks to all the others for their comments and concerns ;) and yes I will be careful and use it anyway mainly for mountain-biking or on low volume on the road.

531Aussie said:

I could write a thesis on headphones and cycling, and in my "educated" opinion, it takes A LOT to drown out traffic noise -- and besides, why does everyone assume that anyone wearing headphones has them turned up to 11?
If you find yourself in a precarious situtaion, it's very easy to turn them right down or off.....simple.

Once a cyclist gets over about 30kmh their hearing is impaired anyway, because of the wind rushing across their ears.

I tried the "bud" type headphones and the "ear hugger" type, but all you tend to hear is the wind, so I found a way of cramming a 'standard' style headphone under my helmet

http://www.schnaeppchenjagd.de/html...ifi/Kopfhoerer/SONY-MDR-101-LP_a_4203330.html

Isn't it more about concentrating more on the music and not on the traffic / road conditions etc, as opposed to how loud you have the music? Personally, I wouldn't go out cycling with headphones because, at times, I tend to lose concentration quite easily - ever find yourself deep in thought, then snapped back to it to find you've been weaving all over the road? If so, headphones probably aren't for you. However, that's my choice not to. Please just be careful if you do, particularly if you ride in traffic. Doesn't cost anything to be a bit cautious, right?

531Aussie said:

Isn't it more about concentrating more on the music and not on the traffic / road conditions etc, as opposed to how loud you have the music? Personally, I wouldn't go out cycling with headphones because,on occasions, I have tended to lose concentration quite easily - ever found yourself deep in thought, then snapped back to it to find you've been weaving all over the road? If so, headphones probably aren't for you. However, that's my choice not to. Please just be careful if you do, particularly if you ride in traffic. Doesn't cost anything to be cautious, right?

kinda stinks here in Fla., they're not legal on bikes...

Maybe I could set up a fifty watt stereo system to tag along on bike... Would require a B.O.B. and big battery, but maybe with some 'gangsta' attire, the right bike and music, I might fit right in with the local drug dealers who drive around in their air-shocked bounce-mobiles:D . Heck, maybe it might discourage them from running me off the road!:D

bentupright said:
kinda stinks here in Fla., they're not legal on bikes...

Maybe I could set up a fifty watt stereo system to tag along on bike... Would require a B.O.B. and big battery, but maybe with some 'gangsta' attire, the right bike and music, I might fit right in with the local drug dealers who drive around in their air-shocked bounce-mobiles:D . Heck, maybe it might discourage them from running me off the road!:D

Try and get Xzibit interested for his next Pimp My Ride challenge...

Gilders said:
Isn't it more about concentrating more on the music and not on the traffic / road conditions etc, as opposed to how loud you have the music?

No. I've found that a Walkman, even when I'm listening to talk radio, doesn't demand my concentration. Infact, there's been times when I've tried very hard to concentrate on what I'm listening to, but the road automatically takes precedence. Talking on a mobile phone, whether it's hands free or not; now THAT'S dangerous -- I can't believe we have those things in cars!!!

Gilders said:
I have tended to lose concentration quite easily - ever found yourself deep in thought, then snapped back to it to find you've been weaving all over the road? If so, headphones probably aren't for you. cautious, right?

I'd say that most of us would be more likely to lose concentration due to day dreaming than listening to music :D

I ride mowers and tractors all day at work. Headphone son the whole time. Sony $15 earbuds stay in your ear a LOT better than any stock ones that come with the mp3 players and such. Run the wire up through the inside of youre jersey so there is nothing hanging to get caught on something.

That said, I wouldnt want to listen to tunes while riding, especially mountain biking. You might not hear the people around the trail, calling "on your left", etc. And you won't get that connection to the trail. Not to mention, as previously stated, they're illegal in many states.