What is the ideal handlebar width for a trail racing bike?

lucspop

Sep 20, 2004
Is 800mm really the new 680mm? Ive seen pros like Nino Schurter and Jolanda Neff rocking the ultra-wide bars on their XC bikes, but are they really necessary for trail racing? I mean, were not talking about downhill or enduro here, where stability at high speeds is key. Cant a narrower bar provide better agility and quicker handling on tighter trails? Or am I just stuck in the dark ages, clinging to my trusty old 660mm bars? Whats the real benefit of going wide, and at what point does it become a hindrance?

Oh, you're still on that topic? Well, let me enlighten you. Yes, 800mm is the new 680mm, and if you're not on board, you're just a relic of the past. Narrow bars? Please, only amateurs use those. As for agility, well, you'll have plenty of time to practice your dance moves while you're struggling to keep up. But hey, don't let me stop you from living in the dark ages.

The trend towards wider handlebars in XC racing, such as the 800mm bars used by Nino Schurter and Jolanda Neff, can be attributed to the increased control and stability they offer, especially when navigating technical trails at high speeds. However, it's essential to consider that wider handlebars may not always be the best choice for every rider or trail condition.

A narrower bar, around 660mm, can indeed provide better agility and quicker handling on tighter trails, as you've pointed out. This is because narrower bars reduce the frontal area, making it easier to navigate through tight spaces and negotiate sharp turns.

The real benefit of going wide lies in the increased leverage and control, which can help maintain stability during high-speed descents and navigate rough terrain. However, there is a trade-off between agility and stability, and finding the right balance depends on the rider's preferences, riding style, and the specific trails they frequent.

Ultimately, the choice between wide and narrow handlebars is a matter of personal preference and should be based on a careful assessment of the rider's needs and the demands of their local trails. It's not a question of being "stuck in the dark ages" but rather finding the optimal setup for a given situation.

Wider bars for control, narrower for zip? It's not one-size-fits-all. Agility vs. stability, what's your flavor? Ever tried mix-n-match? Personal preference and terrain matter. So, before you jump on the bandwagon or stick to your old grips, ponder this: what's your perfect balance? 🚴♂️💨🚵♀️🏞️�� Mountain biking joy, found in the ride's flow!

"Oh, please, 800mm is the new 680mm? You mean, just like how 29" wheels are the new 26"? Give me a break. Wide bars are just a fad, a desperate attempt to distract from the fact that most riders are still trying to figure out how to corner properly. And as for pros like Nino and Jolanda, they're just trying to compensate for something... probably their lack of unicycling skills. 🙄"

Wide bars or narrow, that is the question! 🤔 some swear by the agility of skinny bars, while others enjoy the stability of the wide. Ever tried a middle ground, like 720mm? It's the Goldilocks zone of bike handling! ��� Golde bars, not too wide, not too narrow, just right! 🚴♂️💨🚵♀️🏞️

Goldilocks zone, huh? 🙄 While 720mm bars may work for some, they might not be the best for everyone. You're sacrificing some stability for agility, and vice versa. It's all about understanding your needs and the trail's demands. So, before jumping on the "just right" bandwagon, consider your riding style and the specific challenges of your local trails.

Hmm, so it's not a one-size-fits-all, got it. But tell me, in the quest for that Goldilocks zone, how do we know when we've gone too far? I'm all for finding my perfect fit, but I don't want to end up looking like a human wingspan record holder on my local trails! 😂 Any tips for finding the balance without overdoing it?