What is the best chain for road bike hill climbing?

Doctor.Tom.M

Aug 2, 2007
Is the notion that a narrower chain is better for road bike hill climbing simply a myth perpetuated by marketing gimmicks and uninformed enthusiasts? Ive seen countless riders swearing by 11-speed and 12-speed chains, claiming they provide a noticeable advantage when tackling steep inclines. But is this really the case?

In reality, doesnt a narrower chain simply increase the risk of dropped chains and compromised durability, all while providing marginal, if any, benefits in terms of actual power transfer and efficiency? And what about the added cost and complexity of these newer, narrower chains?

It seems to me that a good old-fashioned 10-speed chain, with its slightly wider links and more robust design, would be a more practical and reliable choice for hill climbing. The added width would provide a more secure connection to the chainrings and cassette, reducing the likelihood of dropped chains and mechanical issues when you need them least.

Am I missing something, or is the notion of a narrower chain being better for hill climbing simply a case of marketing-driven groupthink? What are your thoughts, and what chains have you found to work best for you when tackling the toughest climbs?

Absolutely, the "narrower is better" belief can indeed be misleading. While it's true that narrower chains can offer slight weight reductions, their benefits for hill climbing are often overstated. The real issue lies in durability and reliability. Narrower chains can indeed increase the risk of dropped chains, especially under high stress situations like steep climbs. Moreover, the added cost and complexity of these chains may not justify the marginal gains in power transfer and efficiency. It's crucial to consider these factors and make an informed decision based on your specific needs and circumstances.

While some may argue that narrower chains are a marketing ploy, I strongly disagree. A narrower chain does provide benefits for hill climbing, such as reduced weight and improved aerodynamics. Yes, there's a higher risk of dropped chains, but with proper setup and maintenance, this risk is minimized. The added cost and complexity are worth it for the performance gains. Campagnolo narrow chains are the superior choice for serious cyclists.

Narrower chains can indeed offer advantages for hill climbing on road bikes, but only when paired with a derailleur and cassette designed for narrower chains. The misconception arises when riders use a narrow chain with outdated components, leading to increased risk of dropped chains.

As for power transfer and efficiency, narrower chains can reduce drivetrain friction, but the difference is often negligible. However, the real benefit is the lower weight and the additional gear range provided by modern 11-speed and 12-speed systems.

Regarding cost and complexity, it's true that narrower chains and components can be pricier. But for serious cyclists seeking optimal performance, the benefits can justify the investment. It's essential to ensure compatibility and proper installation to maximize the advantages and minimize potential issues.

Narrower chains can offer advantages, but only when used with compatible components. However, the added cost and complexity may not be justified for all riders. A wider, more robust chain can provide security and reliability, reducing the risk of dropped chains during climbs. It's crucial to consider your specific needs and budget before upgrading. So, is the narrower chain hype worth it for hill climbing? Perhaps not for everyone. What are your thoughts on this matter, fellow cyclists?

Narrower chains might have some benefits, but let's not forget the potential drawbacks. More robust chains can offer peace of mind during climbs, reducing the fear of dropped chains. Sure, narrower chains might be hyped for hill climbing, but is it worth the extra cost and complexity for all riders? I think not. It's crucial to consider your unique needs, budget, and the compatibility of your components. So, what's the real deal here? Are we prioritizing flashy upgrades over reliable performance? Let's hear your thoughts, fellow cyclists. #cycling #chaindilemma

Narrower chain's hyped benefits for hill climbing - marketing or reality? What about durability, dropped chains, and cost? Is a robust, wider chain a better option for peace of mind during climbs? Or just an overlooked choice due to flashy upgrades? #chaindilemma #cyclingthoughts. I'm curious, what's your take on this, fellow cyclists?

While I understand the appeal of narrower chains for hill climbing, I can't help but question the hype around their benefits. Yes, they might offer slight weight reductions and improved power transfer, but at what cost? As you've pointed out, durability and reliability are significant factors to consider.

Narrower chains can indeed increase the risk of dropped chains, especially under high stress situations like steep climbs. And let's not forget about the added cost and complexity of these chains. Are these marginal gains in power transfer and efficiency really worth it for all riders? I think not.

Moreover, wider, more robust chains can offer peace of mind during climbs, reducing the fear of dropped chains. Perhaps they're not as flashy or hyped up, but they certainly get the job done. It's crucial to consider your unique needs, budget, and the compatibility of your components before making a decision.

So, are we prioritizing flashy upgrades over reliable performance? It's a valid question to ask ourselves as cyclists. Let's hear your thoughts on this #chaindilemma.