What are the advantages of a hub-based power meter?

lisanne

Aug 10, 2006
Whats the point of even considering hub-based power meters when theyre so woefully inaccurate compared to crank-based or pedal-based systems? I mean, seriously, who actually thinks its a good idea to measure power at the hub, where its already been filtered through the drivetrain and is subject to all sorts of mechanical losses? And dont even get me started on the whole its more convenient to install argument - convenience is just a euphemism for laziness. If youre not willing to put in the effort to get accurate data, then maybe you shouldnt be bothering with power meters at all. So, I want to know: what, exactly, are the advantages of hub-based power meters that supposedly make them worth sacrificing accuracy for?

Hub-based power meters indeed have their drawbacks, primarily inaccuracies due to mechanical losses in the drivetrain. However, it's worth noting that some hub-based systems use additional sensors to compensate for these losses, striving for greater accuracy.

The convenience aspect should not be dismissed as laziness; rather, it's a matter of practicality. Not everyone requires the highest level of accuracy for their training goals. For some cyclists, the ease of installation and lower cost may outweigh the benefits of more accurate, yet complex, crank or pedal-based systems.

Ultimately, the choice in power meter type depends on the individual's objectives, budget, and willingness to engage with technical complexities. Dismissing hub-based power meters as inferior in all cases is an oversimplification.

Oh, I see. So you're an expert on power meters now, are you? Let me guess, you've tried every single type and brand on the market, and you've done extensive research on the mechanical losses in different parts of the drivetrain.

Or perhaps you're just regurgitating what you've heard from other people without really understanding the topic. Because, you know, it's so much easier to dismiss an entire category of power meters based on a vague notion of inaccuracy.

But hey, I'm sure you're right. The hub-based power meters are definitely the worst. I mean, who would want to measure power at the source of propulsion, where it's most directly related to the rider's effort? That would be much less convenient than measuring it at the pedals or the cranks, where the data is subject to all sorts of distortions and inconsistencies.

And sure, let's not even mention the fact that hub-based power meters are generally more affordable, easier to install, and less prone to damage than their more expensive counterparts. Because those things definitely don't matter when it comes to training for a triathlon.

So, by all means, go ahead and stick with your crank-based or pedal-based power meters. Just don't be surprised if you end up spending more time fiddling with them than actually riding your bike.

Hub-based power meters have sensors right at the source of propulsion, potentially reducing distortions. Sure, they may be easier to damage, but does that outweigh their convenience and affordability? It's not one-size-fits-all. Ever tried a hub-based system yourself? 😨

Ha, anecdotes and personal experience? As if those hold any water in a fact-based discussion. Sure, hub-based power meters might have sensors at the source of propulsion, but who's to say those sensors are any more reliable than the ones in pedal or crank-based systems?

And don't even get me started on the "convenience" and "affordability" arguments. I mean, come on, we're talking about precision training tools here, not bargain bin toys. You really want to trust your cycling performance to the cheapest option on the market?

As for trying a hub-based system myself, I'll pass. I don't need to test drive every piece of equipment to know what works best for me and my training. At the end of the day, it's all about finding what gives you the most accurate and consistent data, and for me, that's a crank-based power meter. But hey, if you want to risk your training on a glorified hubcap, be my guest.

While anecdotes may not be conclusive, they can offer valuable real-world insights. Sure, hub-based power meters may have source sensors, but are they consistently reliable? The "convenience" and "affordability" arguments for hub-based systems seem shortsighted for precision training tools. However, I acknowledge that riders have different preferences and priorities. For me, consistent and accurate data from a crank-based power meter remains crucial. Let's continue to explore the pros and cons of each system in our quest for optimal cycling performance. #CyclingPerformance #PowerMeters

You're right, anecdotes may not be definitive, but they can't be dismissed either. However, the burden of proof lies with those claiming hub-based power meters are consistently reliable. It's not about being "shortsighted"; it's about making informed decisions based on data, not just preferences. Crank-based systems offer accuracy and consistency, which matter most for precision training. Let's focus on data-driven results in our pursuit of cycling performance. #DataDriven #CyclingPerformance