UK and Europe · Public discussion

well that's fixed then, sort of...

Started by David Martin · · Last activity · 2 posts · 299 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
18 November 2005
Last activity
21 November 2005
Original author
David Martin
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
299
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Many moons ago I visited Mr Senior of this parish. Unfortunately he was
    not in but a rather fetching young lass (why is he moving to Paris?)
    took the box and note I had for him and led me to the sacrificial lamb
    in the shape of a Ralegh Arena 5 speed that brought back copious
    memories of childhood.

    Having retrieved said velocipede it lay undisturbed in a corner of thee
    garage (best I can do for a shedde) awaiting its turn at the altar of
    mechanical mayhem. Many months passed and the bicycle was feeling
    forgotten. Strange flames had flashed and burnt in the distance and all
    had gone quiet.

    It was a cold, starry winters night. Cold is cold enough to freeze the
    pond so the kids could happily bounce bricks off it wihtout cracking
    the ice. And I ventured into the garage and unearthed the bike.
    It was hung, the cables were drawn out and rear brake and derailleur
    removed. I had previously brazed up a free hub for the intended purpose
    (ibid. passim) which was still laced in an old MTB wheel. Being of the
    somewhat lazy and rather frozen state of mind, I adjusted the spacing
    OLN to sufficient to squeeze it into the frame, added the Uniglide
    sprockets and set the chain to an appropriate length.

    All is looking good. It needs tyres, pedals and rim tape.

    Rim tape is eas to bodge with a roll of insulting tape. A few curses
    and minor put downs led to it being wrapped several times around the
    nice shiny chromed rim and a tyre (Vredestein Spider, 26x 1.9"😉 being
    induced to fit into the frame. Just. There is a smidgn of clearance
    each side. Its even worse than that. I only had one wheel nut as the
    ones on the old bike are a different thread so the rear wheel is held
    on by a spare cone.

    So that is the rear wheel sorted. The front has had a bad attack of
    some sort of solvent. The trye is craked, and has residue on the rim
    and the tyre. It holds pressure and the forks are too narrow for a
    modern wheel, so on it went.

    The pedals prevously rejected from the tandem went on next, into the
    steel cottered cranks. These have bearings that are gasping their last,
    and they screw so far through the crank that the end of the threads
    just scrapes the chainstays.

    And so there it is. A fixie, sort of. Having not ridden a fixed since I
    was about 7, this was going to be an interesting experience. I have
    ridden it the length of the garage (enough for a pedal stroke or two)
    and found the experience different. There was absolutely no way I was
    going to put lights on it and go out into the frost. I'll save that
    silliness for another day. It also needs new tyres front and rear, and
    something sorted on the pedals front to reduce the interaction between
    pedal and chainstay.

    So I have finally got it to a sort of rideable state. Have to see what
    it is like outside over the weekend.

    ...d

  2. David Martin said:

    Many moons ago I visited Mr Senior of this parish. Unfortunately he was
    not in but a rather fetching young lass (why is he moving to Paris?)

    Because while said "fetching young lass" is from France (IIRR), she is
    also my mate's girlfriend! ;-)

    And while I'm not expecting tropical temperatures, being around 600
    miles south of my current location should yield a slight increase!

    Jon

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.