This is CJ from Palm Harbor, FL. I am a newbie here that is really enjoying the site so far.
I'm a merchant mariner by trade by a pro cyclist in my mind like so many of us out here, LOL! I have to get Phil, Bob, Al & Paul to stop announcing my name as I ride, especially since I am the only one that can hear it!
39 y.o., male on the verge of 40 in December (yep now you have to send me a card dang-nabbit!). New Jersey by birth, Floridian by Lat./Lon. Wannabe personal trainer. Lover of hiking: Completer of 37 of the 50 state high points & all of the Catskill 3500 Club requirements. I dig National Parks, sunsets, friendly animals and a decent cup of peppermint tea. I am free of caffiene, chocolate, alcohol, drugs & red meat.
On the serious side (which I seldom am), I am also enjoying a rebuild project. My current one is a 1989 Kestrel 4000 (Gray Graphics). My restoration goal is to have the completed bike EXACTLY as it was when it rolled out of B&L BIke & Sport in Kailua Kona Hawaii on May 9, 1989.
HELP!!! I am struggling to find several items.
170 mm Shimano Sante Cranks
1" Shimano Sante Headset
1 Mavic Open 4 CD rim - 36 hole
Hoshi Spokes (I have been told that the length I need is 280mm)
The pedals: What was originally on the bike was a pair of LOOK pedals, but I need help here with the model # or name. They were white with a red "hinge (White lettering on the hinge)" & plastic end cap... Oh! I think they were called P166. Does that sound familiar to anyone?
:eek: ALL Items sought need to be MINT (or very near MINT), N.O.S. :eek:
Well that should tell you what type of person I am, but why would I want to build this bike?
It was built by B&L Bike & Sport owner & Ironman Bike Director and good friend, Nick Rott. Nick was killed while on a training ride on the Big Island of Hawaii in August of 1994, unfortunately I didn't find out until November because I had moved back to the east coast. Needless to say I was devistated. When I found out about his death I immediately retired my Kestrel 4000 bike. There isn't a day that goes by that somehow I don't think about him or use something that he sold me. From Bike Cases to Wheel Safes to nearly ALL of my shop tools to just seeing my medals and trophies. Nick sold me my first Kestrel and since then I have owned two more. Even some of my back up bikes were from his shop.
Now, I am rebuilding that Kestrel 4000... Actually for the past 8 years I have been rebuilding it. Thanks to Ebay and Vecchio's Bicicletteria of Boulder, CO things have really begun to take shape. Perhaps someone out there could help me out a bit more. I have a complete parts list (with both what I have and what I need) that I can send out if interested. Let me know. Be Safe! -
Thanks for taking the time to read my posting.
CJ 😎