Been trying to get hold of an 8 sp XT front mech, 34.9mm, top swing & top pull. If a push comes to a shove, I'll just have to use a 9sp. A top swing version will clear a bottle cage bush. Both Evans & St John St Cycles are out. An alternative will be a BB mounting version. Anyone?
"Paul B" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Hi
Been trying to get hold of an 8 sp XT front mech, 34.9mm, top swing & top pull. If a push comes to a shove, I'll just have to use a 9sp. A top swing version will clear a bottle cage bush. Both Evans & St John St Cycles are out. An alternative will be a BB mounting version. Anyone?
Settle or Chain reaction both do the M760 XT one for sensible prices. Nominally 9sp, but I'd guess this doesn't actually make much difference.
"Paul B" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Hi
Been trying to get hold of an 8 sp XT front mech, 34.9mm, top swing & top pull. If a push comes to a shove, I'll just have to use a 9sp. A top swing version will clear a bottle cage bush. Both Evans & St John St Cycles are out. An alternative will be a BB mounting version. Anyone?
Settle or Chain reaction both do the M760 XT one for sensible prices. Nominally 9sp, but I'd guess this doesn't actually make much difference. cheers, clive
I've been told that running an 8sp chain in a 9sp mech will be noisier 'cos the plates are very slightly closer together. if I can still get an 8sp version, I might as well do so - otherwise, 9 will have to do but a good price from CRC.
"Paul B" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Hi
Been trying to get hold of an 8 sp XT front mech, 34.9mm, top swing & top pull. If a push comes to a shove, I'll just have to use a 9sp. A top swing version will clear a bottle cage bush. Both Evans & St John St Cycles are out. An alternative will be a BB mounting version. Anyone?
Settle or Chain reaction both do the M760 XT one for sensible prices. Nominally 9sp, but I'd guess this doesn't actually make much difference. cheers, clive
I've been told that running an 8sp chain in a 9sp mech will be noisier 'cos the plates are very slightly closer together.
I've got an 8 speed bike with a 9 speed XT front derailleur. I can adjust it so the noise only occurs in the small/small and big/big combinations, and treat it as a feature to remind you you shouldn't be in those gears, but I don't even have that problem as I've got a trim adjustment on the big cog (but hardly ever have to use it) and only use the small cog when I've run out of range on the big one. --
I've been told that running an 8sp chain in a 9sp mech will be noisier 'cos the plates are very slightly closer together.
I've got an 8 speed bike with a 9 speed XT front derailleur. I can adjust it so the noise only occurs in the small/small and big/big combinations, and treat it as a feature to remind you you shouldn't be in those gears, but I don't even have that problem as I've got a trim adjustment on the big cog (but hardly ever have to use it) and only use the small cog when I've run out of range on the big one.
You are confirming that the difference between the 2 ain't that much. I'd just spent ~£40 for a new 8sp 11-28 XT cassette - having decided I had spent well enough already without ditching my XT STI levers. Maybe I'll go 9sp next time round. Thanks for your observations.