General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Vomiting and fainting after gall bladder removal

Started by Fresh Air Rider · · Last activity · 2 posts · 1,202 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
7 October 2003
Last activity
7 October 2003
Original author
Fresh Air Rider
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,202
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi folks

    My Dad had his gall bladder removed about seven years ago after
    experiencing severe pains due to gall stones.

    Ever since the operation, he suffers for about two days every two to
    three months with vomiting bile, dizziness and passing out (fainting)
    which on several occasions have been severe enough to call out the
    emergency doctor or visit A&E (ER) in an ambulance.

    The rest of the time he is extremely fit and very active and walks and
    cycles regularly.
    He is a none smoker and non drinker and is fanatical about his diet,
    avoiding fat as much as possible (ie no spread on bread) and generally
    tries to look after himself.

    He has had extensive tests carried out on him in both private and NHS
    hospitals, all of which have proved non-conclusive.
    Tests have included MRI scans, endoscopies, X-Rays, Ultrasound scans,
    heart tests, blood pressure tests, blood sugar tests, wearing a
    monitoring box for 24 hours, been wired up to numerous machines etc
    and has seen GPs, hospital doctors and gastric specialists which has
    all failed to diagnose any specific problem.

    I was interested to read on the net about Cholestyramine (Questran)
    because I think that his problem may be caused by excess bile which
    builds up after a time and gets to a level where it causes the
    symptoms above. I have decided against suggesting this to him after
    reading about side effects which include tumors in animal tests,
    severe stomach pains with nausea, vomiting and dizziness (which is
    what I'm trying to overcome), diarrhea, bloating and headaches.

    I feel so helpless when he has these distressing and debilitating
    symptoms because no-one seems to know what is wrong and I don't know
    how best to help him.

    I know that this is not normal after gall bladder removal but would
    like to hear from anyone who suffers from the same symptoms. Is there
    an (preferably natural) alternative to Cholestyramine (Questran) for
    "mopping up" excess bile ?

    I would be extremely grateful for any advice that anyone can give me.

    Many thanks
    John

  2. Quoted message said:

    Hi folks

    My Dad had his gall bladder removed about seven years ago after
    experiencing severe pains due to gall stones.

    It sounds like your father has been doing all the reasonable and responsible
    things under the circumstances. This is one area where I personally think that
    Acupuncture would be helpful.

    While I'm not a practitioner, I have been told that this particular syndrome
    may well respond to acupuncture treatment. He may wish to check your local
    yellow pages and discuss his condition with someone in your area.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.