rec.bicycles.marketplace · Public discussion

Vintage Trek Bicycle - Is it worth it?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 5 posts · 350 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.marketplace
Published
11 July 2006
Last activity
11 July 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
350
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have primarily ridden Mountain Bikes, but am looking for a decent
    but ineensive road bike to use for commuting and back and forth to the
    store and such. Someone is selling a vintage Trek 660 for $330 and i
    was wondering if y'all thought that it was worth it. Seems to be
    pretty stock but looks decent.

    thanks,
    K

  2. depends what year it is. 660 is a mid- to upper-level in the eighties
    steel frames (which were good bikes). you can get some good info from
    www.vintage-trek.com. it also depends on the components and the
    condition. for a good condition, very solid steelframe (which the early
    treks were), 330 is pretty good IMO. much better than you'd do on eBay
    at lest.

    Frank

    Quoted message said:

    I have primarily ridden Mountain Bikes, but am looking for a decent
    but ineensive road bike to use for commuting and back and forth to the
    store and such. Someone is selling a vintage Trek 660 for $330 and i
    was wondering if y'all thought that it was worth it. Seems to be
    pretty stock but looks decent.

    thanks,
    K

  3. depends what year it is. 660 is a mid- to upper-level in the eighties
    steel frames (which were good bikes). you can get some good info from
    www.vintage-trek.com. it also depends on the components and the
    condition. for a good condition, very solid steelframe (which the early
    treks were), 330 is pretty good IMO. one thing to look for is the make
    of the steel tubing: Reynolds 531 is regarded as a superior tube, and
    Reynolds anything is regarded better than others (though Columbus is
    right up there as well). much better than you'd do on eBay at lest.

    Frank

    Quoted message said:

    I have primarily ridden Mountain Bikes, but am looking for a decent
    but ineensive road bike to use for commuting and back and forth to the
    store and such. Someone is selling a vintage Trek 660 for $330 and i
    was wondering if y'all thought that it was worth it. Seems to be
    pretty stock but looks decent.

    thanks,
    K

  4. K,

    I apologize in advance if this violates any newgroup policy/etiquette.

    It may not be what you're looking for, but I've got a bike that I'm
    looking to sell to help offest the cost of my new bike... Its slightly
    more than what you're looking to spend on the Trek, but I can provide
    more details if you're interested.

    I'd like to get $500 for it, but am open to interesting offers. I can
    ship anywhere in the US and will deliver within the NYC metro area.

    The bike is a 1995 Lemond Alpe D'Huez (steel) 56cm. In 2001 everything
    but the brakes were upgraded to full 9spd Dura Ace components
    (Shimano's top of the line) . Included with the bike are Shimano SPD
    clipless pedals, and a Specialized Turbo Pro computer w/ Cadence Kit.
    I can also include a pair of size 9/9.5 Nike bike shoes (if
    interested).

    The bike has ~4000 total miles on the odometer. And is in fine working
    condition (in fact I rode it this morning). Since I only ride in nice
    weather, wear and tear has
    been minimal. I have never crashed on the bike, so any nicks/scratches
    are purely cosmetic. I can provide photos upon request.

    I've done some research and I think $500 is a pretty fair price
    considering you get:

    - A complete bike with newer Dura Ace 9spd components
    - A bike computer with a ton of features
    - Clipless pedals (with shoes optional)
    - I'll even throw in a saddle bag

    Feel free to e-mail me directly if you're interested.

    Kevin

  5. Kevin has a point, this appears to be a much better bicycle for not much
    more money. Then again, it might be a bit of overkill for just a commuter.

    Quoted message said:

    K,

    I apologize in advance if this violates any newgroup policy/etiquette.

    It may not be what you're looking for, but I've got a bike that I'm
    looking to sell to help offest the cost of my new bike... Its slightly
    more than what you're looking to spend on the Trek, but I can provide
    more details if you're interested.

    I'd like to get $500 for it, but am open to interesting offers. I can
    ship anywhere in the US and will deliver within the NYC metro area.

    The bike is a 1995 Lemond Alpe D'Huez (steel) 56cm. In 2001 everything
    but the brakes were upgraded to full 9spd Dura Ace components
    (Shimano's top of the line) . Included with the bike are Shimano SPD
    clipless pedals, and a Specialized Turbo Pro computer w/ Cadence Kit.
    I can also include a pair of size 9/9.5 Nike bike shoes (if
    interested).

    The bike has ~4000 total miles on the odometer. And is in fine working
    condition (in fact I rode it this morning). Since I only ride in nice
    weather, wear and tear has
    been minimal. I have never crashed on the bike, so any nicks/scratches
    are purely cosmetic. I can provide photos upon request.

    I've done some research and I think $500 is a pretty fair price
    considering you get:

    - A complete bike with newer Dura Ace 9spd components
    - A bike computer with a ton of features
    - Clipless pedals (with shoes optional)
    - I'll even throw in a saddle bag

    Feel free to e-mail me directly if you're interested.

    Kevin

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.