Verdrugen has left CIO...

poulidor

Jul 31, 2006
and McQuaid would take the place...

From cyclismag :
Hein Verbruggen resigns from IOC ...

Former president of the UCI for 14 years and current vice-president, Hein Verbruggen has resigned from the International Olympic Committee (IOC), said L'Equipe. According to our sources, he had privately warned it would withdraw from the organization to "retire" to 67 years after the completion of the Beijing Olympics, where he is the coordinator since 2001. Jacques Rogge, the IOC boss, tried unsuccessfully to bring back the Dutch leader on his decision.
Pat McQuaid should take the seat Hein Verbruggen of the International Olympic Committee next year, from the session in Copenhagen.

... and is the subject of speculation about his fortune

The website bakchich.info attempted to investigate "the millions of Verbruggen, the key Beijing Olympics." In an article published online Friday (see: here), Bakchich reveals that the No. 2 of the UCI would have earned $ 13.2 million through two companies based in Ireland, Consultants and Norse Consultants.
The article is very mysterious but does not deliver any information about the provenance of this sum: "These millions intrigue [...] As for the activity of the former boss of international cycling, we will no longer" . Hein Verbruggen was justified: "This is my business. Everything is legal. All these dividends were paid in Switzerland, and I pay my taxes in Switzerland".
A survey unfortunately well empty, whose only interest is to demonstrate the passage generosity Hein Verbruggen: it boasts of having paid his pocket a statue to the UCI and settle memos mini-bar when he is to travel to the IOC ...

LOL. So he bags 13 million US and is proud to pay his own minibar bill when he travels. What a hero. :rolleyes: