General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

varicose veins in one leg

Started by Roy Tony · · Last activity · 5 posts · 881 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
29 December 2003
Last activity
6 January 2004
Original author
Roy Tony
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
881
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have varicose veins outside the calf of one leg only. I used to get leg cramps in that same spot
    of the leg about ten or fifteen years ago. I didn't know why I was having them and I was too young
    to know what was happening. After several episodes of cramps I began to noticed the veins starting
    to become visible. The cramps stopped about 7 years ago but the varicose veins are still there.

    A week before xmas a cramp came back one night And the veins do look a little different each time I
    look at them.

    I read in a medical book that my symptoms are similiar to Phlebitis (a inflammation of vains) and
    that it can be the cause of leg cramps due to decreased bloodflow (Intermittent Claudication).

    Now I did get checked out at a hospital on xmas day but was told it's common and no body has died
    from it. They did not take any xray.

    Should I be concerned about it?

    --
    Tony [email hidden] [email hidden]

  2. Roy Tony said:

    I have varicose veins outside the calf of one leg only. I used to get leg cramps in that same spot
    of the leg about ten or fifteen years ago. I didn't know why I was having them and I was too young
    to know what was happening. After several episodes of cramps I began to noticed the veins starting
    to become visible. The cramps stopped about 7 years ago but the varicose veins are still there.

    A week before xmas a cramp came back one night And the veins do look a little different each time
    I look at them.

    I read in a medical book that my symptoms are similiar to Phlebitis (a inflammation of vains) and
    that it can be the cause of leg cramps due to decreased bloodflow (Intermittent Claudication).

    Now I did get checked out at a hospital on xmas day but was told it's common and no body has died
    from it. They did not take any xray.

    Hello Tony, I'm not a doctor, but my mother had varicose veins. Her legs hurt the longer she was on
    them during the day and ached at night. I think hers were the result of being on her feet as a nurse
    and/or during pregnancy, because that's the period during which they started. She was not overweight
    during the time I knew her (from age 34 into her 70's). That's part of why it often happens more to
    women. (pregnancy)

    Seems strange (suspicious) to me that yours is not in both legs, unless they start in one leg and
    progress to both. Do you work and stand more on one leg than another?

    Hospital (ER?) is not the place for that and I doubt that X-ray is what they'd be doing anyway.

    Here's some websites nlm.nih.govvaricoseveins.html
    4woman.govvaricose.htm

    Leg cramps I think can be caused by imbalances of potassium or calcium too, so perhaps when you see
    your doctor, ask to have that checked, along with a CBC to see if you have a clotting disorder and a
    referral to a specialist about what's going on with your legs (or groin, if applicable). I say groin
    or waist, because I think the problem can come from anywhere where it shows upward..(but not sure)
    ...or heart? (see the first website). J-not a doctor

  3. "Roy Tony" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have varicose veins outside the calf of one leg only. I used to get leg cramps in that same spot
    of the leg about ten or fifteen years ago. I didn't know why I was having them and I was too young
    to know what was happening. After several episodes of cramps I began to noticed the veins starting
    to become visible. The cramps stopped about 7 years ago but the varicose veins are still there.

    A week before xmas a cramp came back one night And the veins do look a little different each time
    I look at them.

    I read in a medical book that my symptoms are similiar to Phlebitis (a inflammation of vains) and
    that it can be the cause of leg cramps due to decreased bloodflow (Intermittent Claudication).

    Now I did get checked out at a hospital on xmas day but was told it's common and no body has died
    from it. They did not take any xray.

    Should I be concerned about it?

    No, don't be concerned.

    Varicose veins don't cause cramping. Phlebitis is a hot, red, very tender area on the leg.
    Intermittent claudication has nothing to do with veins, it is due to blockage of a leg ARTERY
    causing decreased blood flow to some of the muscles in the leg. Your varicose veins are not related
    in any way.

    Varicose veins may, in some cases, cause a dull aching pain in the legs. They might develop a blood
    clot in them that can be very temporarily painful (superficial thrombophlebitis). If either of those
    things occur, it is absolutely nothing to worry about - you are in no danger. No, the blood clot
    won't break off and go to your lungs because it will be in the SUPERFICIAL veins.

    If they end up bothering you enough because of the dull pain, recurrent superficial
    thrombophlebitis, or because they look ugly you can get them removed. State of the art in vein
    removal is Trivex powered phlebectomy, although any competent surgeon can do a good job removing the
    those veins on an outpatient basis.

    HMc

  4. Howard McCollister said:

    No, don't be concerned.

    Yes, be concerned as to prevention of worsening.

    Quoted message said:

    Varicose veins don't cause cramping.

    4woman.govvaricose.htm does mention cramping, although I don't recall Mom mentioning
    cramps, but she was up often in the middle of the night (but rarely told us what was hurting)

    Quoted message said:

    <snip>

    If they end up bothering you enough because of the dull pain, recurrent superficial
    thrombophlebitis, or because they look ugly you can get them removed. State of the art in vein
    removal is Trivex powered phlebectomy, although any competent surgeon can do a good job removing
    the those veins on an outpatient basis.

    Mom's legs were a mess (after treatment). I wasn't around before treatment. She hid the pain and she
    always wore slacks to hide the disfigurations, rarely complained but I know she was in pain. How was
    that treated in the 1940's (probably UK or Canada) ? Stripping? J

  5. Thanks for the advise. I'll check out the website and see a doctor next week. I don't know why it's
    only one leg. I don't stand more one that leg than the other. Perhaps it's when I sleep the other
    leg lies on it and creates pressure?

    From: J <[email hidden]> Newsgroups: sci.med

    Quoted message said:

    Hello Tony, I'm not a doctor, but my mother had varicose veins. Her legs hurt the longer she was
    on them during the day and ached at night. I think hers were the result of being on her feet as a
    nurse and/or during pregnancy, because that's the period during which they started. She was not
    overweight during the time I knew her (from age 34 into her 70's). That's part of why it often
    happens more to women. (pregnancy)

    Quoted message said:

    Seems strange (suspicious) to me that yours is not in both legs, unless they start in one leg and
    progress to both. Do you work and stand more on one leg than another?

    Quoted message said:

    Hospital (ER?) is not the place for that and I doubt that X-ray is what they'd be doing anyway.

    Quoted message said:

    Here's some websites nlm.nih.govvaricoseveins.html
    4woman.govvaricose.htm

    Quoted message said:

    Leg cramps I think can be caused by imbalances of potassium or calcium too, so perhaps when you
    see your doctor, ask to have that checked, along with a CBC to see if you have a clotting disorder
    and a referral to a specialist about what's going on with your legs (or groin, if applicable). I
    say groin or waist, because I think the problem can come from anywhere where it shows upward..(but
    not sure) ...or heart? (see the first website). J-not a doctor

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.