UK and Europe · Public discussion

v-brakes on quality mtn-bike

Started by VisionSet · · Last activity · 4 posts · 234 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
27 May 2006
Last activity
27 May 2006
Original author
VisionSet
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
234
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm in the market for a mountain bike.
    Looking to spend c.350-400 2nd hand.
    I don't think I'm bothered about disk brakes.
    I do want front suspension and not rear suspension (hard tail I believe, but
    if that's a purely yank expression I'll drop it now :-)
    Quality/lightweight is the aim.
    Looked at a fair bit of stuff on ebay, but it seems disk brakes are
    unavoidable. Perhaps I should spend less and go for older?
    Anyone got any tips for seeking the machine I need?
    I fancy the Kona Kula for instance.

    --
    Mike W

  2. VisionSet said:

    I'm in the market for a mountain bike.
    Looking to spend c.350-400 2nd hand.
    I don't think I'm bothered about disk brakes.


    Depends how mountainous, and how muddy. There is a weight penalty with
    discs, but they do have definite advantages in places like the South
    Downs. I'd go for Avid mechanical disc brakes, personally, as they
    work (!) yet are relatively simple. The cheaper stuff is best avoided.
    But if you just want a light cross country bike then go for Vee's.

    Quoted message said:

    I do want front suspension and not rear suspension (hard tail I believe, but
    if that's a purely yank expression I'll drop it now :-)


    Universal - OK 😉

    Quoted message said:

    Quality/lightweight is the aim.
    Looked at a fair bit of stuff on ebay, but it seems disk brakes are
    unavoidable. Perhaps I should spend less and go for older?


    Good idea - buy, try and work out what you really want.

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone got any tips for seeking the machine I need?


    older Specialized Rockhopper? newer GT Avalanche2? But others will
    have their own favourites.....

    Quoted message said:

    I fancy the Kona Kula for instance.


    IMHO Kona's are overpriced - a branding triumph! But you pays your
    money......

    Quoted message said:


    --
    Mike W

    Enjoy!

  3. VisionSet said:

    I'm in the market for a mountain bike.
    Looking to spend c.350-400 2nd hand.
    Looked at a fair bit of stuff on ebay, but it seems disk brakes are
    unavoidable. Perhaps I should spend less and go for older?
    Anyone got any tips for seeking the machine I need?

    Dont bother with ebay, there is very rarely a bargain on there (well,
    apart from my road bike which sold as a BIN within an hour of listing -
    i must have underpriced it!).

    Register on: http://www.singletrackworld.com/

    And put up a wanted ad, or see if there is something suitable in the
    classifieds.You are more likely to get a good MTB there , than on ebay.
    Alan.

    --
    To reply by e-mail, change the ' + ' to 'plus'.

  4. Or www.bikemagic.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.