Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Upgrade older cannondale Hybrid

Started by Ram · · Last activity · 2 posts · 1,076 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
15 August 2003
Last activity
15 August 2003
Original author
Ram
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,076
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've got a 91 H600 that's in need of another rebuilding at 40k miles. Right now it has all 21 speed
    LX components with the rear spacing at the old mtn bike size of 130mm. All I see in that size now
    are road hubs. Would it work to put an 8 or 9 speed Ultegra or 105 hub? If I went that route would
    the matching road derailler work with the newer XT shifters? I imagine I'd also be needing a new
    crankset and BB...or would I? I know the expense doesn't make all that much sense compared to a new
    bike but after 12 yrs and all those miles I'm rather attached to this ride. Thanks

  2. RAM said:

    I've got a 91 H600 that's in need of another rebuilding at 40k miles. Right now it has all 21
    speed LX components with the rear spacing at the old mtn bike size of 130mm. All I see in that
    size now are road hubs. Would it work to put an 8 or 9 speed Ultegra or 105 hub?

    No problem.

    Quoted message said:

    If I went that route would the matching road derailler work with the newer XT shifters?

    Yes, as long as your gearing choices are within the range that a road mech can handle. Your old LX
    derailleur would also work fine with the new shifters, assuming it's not worn out. A new MTB
    derailleur would give you the widest range of gearing options.

    Your old front derailleur will be fine, but if you decide to replace it you should get an MTB model.

    Quoted message said:

    I imagine I'd also be needing a new crankset and BB... or would I?

    No, your old ones should be fine.

    James Thomson

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.