On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:13:14 -0700, [email hidden] (Tom Keats)
wrote in message : said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:My last LWH was the result of a busted axle.
For this I have Hope hubs ;-)
Quoted message said:I googled on 'em. Very pretty indeed. I also found the
Hope disc brakes intriguing.
And massively better than Magura Julies, I can tell you from personal
experience. I have Hope Mono Minis on my recumbent, and they are the
dog's nuts.
Quoted message said:But hubs ain't axles. I don't know if any axle is 100%
bulletproof. IIRC some long distance tourers who venture
into sparsely populated areas favour Phil Wood tandem hubs.
Maybe. Actually any cassette-type hub is less likely to suffer axle
failure than a freewheel-type hub, and the Hope (with cartridge
bearings) seems to be better than the Shimano types with loose balls.
But it is also much more expensive, which is usually (not always, of
course) a sign of better quality.
Quoted message said:My old 6-spd freewheel'd MTB isn't worthy of such upscale
components. It might not even be worthy of a steel
seatpost that could also serve as a wrench-handle extension
for removing the freewheel.
Heh! I think we all have one bike like that :-)
Guy
--
May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University